4 cyl. 0w20, hollow cheap sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rented a Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder 4banger last weekend while I was in Nashville and it sounded really healthy and throaty. I was really impressed!

My 1992 Porsche 968 had a 4-banger. It's a water cooled 3.0L I4 DOHC with 11:1 compression. They are equipped with Variocam variable valve timing - plastic chain pads on the movable tensioners.

At any rate, it did NOT sound cheap
LOL.gif
(nor did it run 20 weight)

It was an interesting engine.

The big pots and high compression was fun. Once when working on it in storage I wanted to turn it over with the plugs in. #4 gauge jumper cables to the battery beside the car couldn't even turn it over - they just got hot.

It also had quite a lot of parasitic loss to run the fairly aggressive camshafts and fight the compression - it also had a non-linear cam gear system at the throttle body. They use this to linearize the engine output with the long throttle pedal travel. Compared to simple-pulley cars it seemed as if it was a little sluggish or slow at light throttle inputs because the high energy to turn the engine plus the throttle cam would mean that you would typical find that "putting around town" throttle angles would level off at, say, 3k RPM with or without load. Give it a goose and you're off like a scared cat, though.

Unfortunately most of the time I had it I couldn't DIY much and it was pre-BITOG for me. Whenever I'm able to get another fair-weather car, it'll be a whole new level of anal
LOL.gif

Last edited:
EricZoom - I'm also 47. So there's balance in the EricMazda universe after all. My first car was a '76 Subaru DL, 2nd car '78 Subaru GL, then a '80 Datsun B210 (actually can't remember the exact year of that one), then an '85 Mazda GLC Sport, then my '88 Mazda 323.

I've been driving the Mazda 6 around today - pushing it pretty hard at times. My Mazda 6 has the full sport trim (my first dual exhaust). The addition of the 10w40 to the 0w20 has had a definite impact - but ultimaly the sound is unchanged. But the more I think about it, I cannot say the exhaust system is not the issue in the sound. I'm just really not sure.

And by the way, it's not that I want a quiet engine. I actually like to push an engine hard and hear it. But either this engine or this exhaust system or the combination just doesn't have the nice throaty sound that 4 bangers can have and most used to have. The reason I thnk it's more than an exhaust issue, is that I don't remember ever hearing this type of engine noise till the last few years.

Craig, for various reasons Porches have also been my most desired car. But with three kids in elementary school, it's gonna be a while.

We took the Triumph for a nice long ride through Jemez today. The tiny 1.5L engine produces a low-pitched thrum you can feel in your chest. Low tech, low power, it sounds completely different from the Honda's fuel-injected engine turning out twice the horsepower. I'd call it nostalgic, but I'm only a year older than the Triumph.
whistle.gif

I enjoyed Drivebelt's thoughts RE: CT and engine sound. With M1 0w-20 in the Honda I get a corky, popping, harsh, Nascar-ish sound under load and at high RPM. It's a slightly scary sound when you've only paid off half the car so far. Other Xw-20's sound downright velvety in comparison. The CT theory works nicely in my case.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
My 1992 Porsche 968

20.gif

My dad is on his 4th 911. Air cooled, of course. I think he runs gtx 20w-50, which is whats called for. I offered to buy him some M1 one day and he gave me the strangest look.

I always liked the 944s and 968s. If I wasn't trying to start a family I'd probably have one.

Great cars!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ericthepig
EricZoom - I'm also 47. So there's balance in the EricMazda universe after all.
And by the way, it's not that I want a quiet engine. I actually like to push an engine hard and hear it. But either this engine or this exhaust system or the combination just doesn't have the nice throaty sound that 4 bangers can have and most used to have. The reason I thnk it's more than an exhaust issue, is that I don't remember ever hearing this type of engine noise till the last few years.

Eric, if you want a more thoaty sound from your 6, you might want to do the airbox mod on your car. I did that on my 6, and it made a huge improvement on sound, especially on acceleration.

Try this:

http://www.dreamhaven.org/~data/m6airboxmod/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back