30w or 15w-40???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 17HP tecumseh rider that is about 5 years old. the engine and manual says to use only 30W oil in it. Why is this, and why can I not use a 15w-40 or something like that? And what is the forum recommendation for an OTC oil for a rider?

Usually these engines allow 10W30 synthetic and say that multi weight conventionals will result in high consumption.

I would personally not go too much thicker, as the splash oiling system is very much designed for a certain weight oil. A 40 weight synthetic, would probably be fine though.

I use Schaeffer's 15W40 blend now and had, in the past, used Amsoil 15W40 AME.

Both oils are great for summer mowing jobs.

Tim,
I believe all the Tecumseh Motors use a oil pump in their oil system design unlike the Briggs and Stratton single cylinder motors which use a slinger on the crankshaft.

I think you would benefit from a 15/40 oil like a diesel oil with the SL designation if you were using it in cold weather.That might sound odd to some but I know many that use their riding mowers to pull utility trailers for other work in winter months

How far are you from Texarkana? Tim Mills can sell you whatever quanity you want of the Schaeffers 15/40 in the dino or the synthetic blend

But also others such as Del Vac 1300,Chevron Delo 400 are available at Walmarts ect

I recently purchased a new rider,it will not get the abuse my others recieved for years so I use a 10/30 motor oil in it all year. More or less like a car,depends on how hard the tractor is used depicts what oil I choose. There are lots of good garden tractor oils to choose from,just don't run them low on oil as you already know..But I am partial to Schaeffers with the moly
smile.gif

Definately that, as it also has a filter (spin-on) that I replace at season end with the oil. I am just trying to find the best for my beast, without blowing it up!!
patriot.gif

So maybe something like the 'diesel oils' like delo/delvac13 or other 15w-40 would be beter than a straight 30W? Reason i am asking is i have noticed that while it is still available, it is getting harder to find straight 30w, as no cars are using a straight weight anymore, so you see less options on the shelf.

Tim H, Yes, Texarkana Tim is probably near you (ground shipping should be cheap) and he stocks a dizzying amount of Schaeffer's oil. I just switched my Honda 18hp twin cylinder, liquid cooled tractor over to Schaeffer Supreme 7000 synthetic blend with moly in 15W40.

I think 15W40 is one of the best weights for power equipment that has a few years of use under its belt and called for 5W30 or 10W30 when new ... as long as you aren't running it in sub-freezing weather.

Tim should have Schaeffer straight weights still available, though.

You are right, the straight weights are getting harder to find at the mass-marketers ... but I just picked up a quart of Pennzoil straight 40 at a local Walmart. It CAN happen. You might have to check numerous stores, however.

Oh, and AutoZone carried Chevron Delo 400 in straight 30 last time I looked (1 gallon containers). This was a while ago, though. For straight-weight oils, you're usually better off going to smaller auto jobbers that carry more than the typical weights and brands. Look for a jobber that sells Amalie, for example.

--- Bror Jace

i have been using straight 30w synthetic in my 15.5 kohler with good results, no lifter noise, and dosent burn any. its volvo penta 30w synthetic from a volvo marine dealer dont know who makes it for them.
grin.gif

There are still plenty of straight weight oils on store shelves but they aren't as prevalent as maybe they once were. Still, a little shopping will turn them up.

At several auto parts stores I found 30W oils from Pennzoil, QS, Valvoline, Havoline, and Castrol. Valvoline was selling 30W, 40W, and 50W. Kendall was selling 60W. Even my local supermarket has some generic brand 30W on their shelves.

Yea, I still see them every once in awhile, but waht happens in 2 or 3 years when they all dissapear from the common market shelves in favor of 10w-30 and such? this is why I was wondering about using a 15w-40 or such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back