23 RAV4 Hybrid UOA Amsoil 0W-16 - 3,781 miles on oil

23 RAV4 Hybrid UOA with 3,781 miles with Amsoil 0W-16 Hybrid oil . Did initial oil change and filter at 1,100 miles.
Report looks good although not many miles on oil. Went to 0W-20 Amsoil Hybrid oil on this change. Wanted more wear protection. Looking to change again at 10k, then going to continue on with Amsoil 0W-20or try out HPL. 0W-20.

I drive around 600 miles a week and is 90% highway. So the engine is easy on the oil. I prefer 5k oil changes but would like to do 7.5k to reduce the amount of oil changes I have to perform. Looking for any of your thoughts on this?

Attachments

• 2ndoilchange.jpg
    2ndoilchange.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 391
Looks good. If i wanted to reduce oil change intervals while not lowering protection and spending less and i'd just go to walmart and get m1 ep do 10-15k since you highway mile it a ton and that's easy on oil. if you do 600 a week you're doing 30k a year. 15k 90% highway miles in half a year on an NA engine is easily doable on EP.

I also wanted to mention that I am using the Toyota YZZN1 oil filter. May be looking to change to more filtration but it seems like it is doing a good job. I cut it open and it looks good. No wear metals that I can see and filter is holding up well. Thank for the replies!

During the warranty period, you do not want to exceed the manufacturer's maintenance requirements. 7,500 mil OCI's?

Last edited:
During the warranty period, you do now want to exceed the manufacturer's maintenance requirements. 7,500 mil OCI's?
Aren't Toyota intervals 10k?. And i thought Toyota gave some free oil changes on every new car, or maybe OP doesn't care for dealer service.

Aren't Toyota intervals 10k?. And i thought Toyota gave some free oil changes on every new car, or maybe OP doesn't care for dealer service.
They are 10k and I was given a free oil change every 10k for 100k. I know this may seem stupid to some people but I do prefer doing my own oil changes. I know it's just an oil change but I know they won't prefiil the filter and I prefer that be done. Also I like Amsoil over whatever bulk oil they use. When I go for my 10k checkup, I'll ask what they use.

They are 10k and I was given a free oil change every 10k for 100k. I know this may seem stupid to some people but I do prefer doing my own oil changes. I know it's just an oil change but I know they won't prefiil the filter and I prefer that be done. Also I like Amsoil over whatever bulk oil they use. When I go for my 10k checkup, I'll ask what they use.
What? 10 free oil changes? just come in every 8k. I don't think they'd care if you do them earlier, doubt they'll shoo you away.

What? 10 free oil changes? just come in every 8k. I don't think they'd care if you do them earlier, doubt they'll shoo you away.
Yep, free oil changes for 100k, will only do them every 10k. But, would you trust 10k oil changes on their bulk oil? My biggest concern is the oil rings caking up.

I mean 10k for you would be done in only 3-4 months. 90% highway is kinder on oi
I could do their 10k oil changes and then do 5k by me. So I'm still changing it every 5k and I only have to do 3 of them per year. That may all be hindering on what oil they supply. I also don't trust their oil changes. Just from stories I've heard. I do prefer to do them myself. And, I'd like to continue to use 0W-20 oil

Last edited:
Here you go. Do the oil changes every 5,000 yourself, then , let the dealer do them every 10,000 for warranty compliance. The dealer uses TGMO synthetic and it runs smoothly in my Camry. Best to use the oem toyota oil filter. Jmo.

The viscosity is pretty low and they didn't use gas chromatography to check for fuel. Can you request that they retest with GC? It'd be nice to know whether the viscosity loss is from fuel dilution or shearing.

The viscosity is pretty low and they didn't use gas chromatography to check for fuel. Can you request that they retest with GC? It'd be nice to know whether the viscosity loss is from fuel dilution or shearing.
Apparently, they only use GC if they suspect fuel. Virgin visc is 7.4cSt so we are seeing about 12% visc loss, apparently due to shear.

I didn't notice it was that low. The test doesn't show the viscosity range so I didn't pick up on it. Thanks for pointing that out. I thought by the results, they did the test. But now I realize they wrote, estimate. I'll see if they can do it. Another reason why I changed over to 0W-20.

Apparently, they only use GC if they suspect fuel. Virgin visc is 7.4cSt so we are seeing about 12% visc loss, apparently due to shear.
I was just trying to look up the VOA on this oil. Thanks for that information.

Last edited:
I was looking at the base number and not the viscosity. Looks to be well in range.

Last edited:
If you are worried their oil and filter is not up to snuff, I would consider this...
When you go in for their oil change, have them install an oil filter you provide.
After 6,000 miles, siphon/extract a couple of quarts and top up with a good oil.

Based upon extensive personal experience, I am having a difficult time wrapping my brain around the idea of these circumstances producing shear that is cause for alarm.

Virgin TGMO 0W16 is thinner. My thoughts are that maybe Amsoil planned on some shearing here, or else there is some surprising fuel dilution.

This engine having 42% thermal efficiency, I personally would only use highest quality very thin oil, and extend OCI according to UOA dictates.

$0.02, maybe a little more, adjusting for inflation.

Back