215/50/16 Tire Options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 Mercury Cougar that takes this size. I don't find many options at good prices. Any ideas? Anybody running 225/50/16 on a Cougar of this vintage?

how do you drive the car? driving style?
what are you looking for from a tire?

what are your priorities?

round and black?

cheap?

traction?
wet-dry-snow?
treadlife?

noise?

comfort?

Originally Posted By: Rand
how do you drive the car? driving style?
what are you looking for from a tire?

what are your priorities?

round and black?

cheap?

traction?
wet-dry-snow?
treadlife?

noise?

comfort?

I guess I'm looking for an overall decent inexpensive H or V rated tire. I have Hankooks now (Ventus).

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Consider 205/55-16; there are a LOT more options in that size.

Yep, and 225/50R16. That will give you a slightly taller sidewall too.

No need for anything wider than a 205 on a Cougar. 185/70 would be fine. Street suspensions/bushings can do nothing but hydroplane with wide contact patch tyres.
Oh I forgot they look cool.

If at a good price, get the higest speed rating in a 205 section having the wear rate you can tolerate - sort of like Investment risk tolerance. All seasons are generally poor handlers compared to dedicated summer tyres.

Originally Posted By: ET16
I have a 2002 Mercury Cougar that takes this size. I don't find many options at good prices. Any ideas? Anybody running 225/50/16 on a Cougar of this vintage?

Tire Rack shows two tires, the Direzza DZ101 V-rated summer tire, and the W-rated Kumho Ecsta ASX. Bridgestone shows the V-rated Potenza G019 Grid in that size.

It looks like you have some choices, but they're not going to be sitting next to each other on the tire store shelf.

205/55r16 or 225/50r16 will both fit.

IF you want cheap the 75$ kumho sense are lightyears cheaper and H-rated touring type tire.

general altimax RT43 is the new hot touring tire its T-rated about 92$ each.. one of the best all-seasons in the winter and wet.

kumho 4x @90$ w-rated more of a grand touring tire than the UHP rating would suggest. Mediocre in winter.

getting more pricy
Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus about 120$
great tire. H rated.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 V rated 125$ top performance all season tire currently. GREAT tire

To arco. if you dont need more than a 205 contact patch.. they why would you need summer tires over all-season?

arco must be off his meds lately. a bunch of his posts have been total nonsense.

sometimes he actually makes useful well thought out posts. Then you get this kind of flake post.

also being the OP is in MD and didnt mention winter tires I doubt he wants to buy 2 sets for a 2002 cougar.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
No need for anything wider than a 205 on a Cougar. 185/70 would be fine. Street suspensions/bushings can do nothing but hydroplane with wide contact patch tyres.

If at a good price, get the higest speed rating in a 205 section having the wear rate you can tolerate - sort of like Investment risk tolerance. All seasons are generally poor handlers compared to dedicated summer tyres.

You need to speak to my M5 then about its 275's, they are obviously doing it wrong by not hydroplaning on me
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

You need to speak to my M5 then about its 275's, they are obviously doing it wrong by not hydroplaning on me
wink.gif

hahaha, I also run a 275/35/20 on my car and it has fantastic wet traction.

I'm guessing but I think our choice of brand and type may be part of the reason!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

wink.gif

I'm guessing but I think our choice of brand and type may be part of the reason!

Yeah, I think you might be onto something there Steve
wink.gif

wink.gif

You use Nankang and/or Milestar?

^^^Hahaha, no we don't!

Both my car and Overkill's have new Michelin Pilot SS summer only tires. They are amazingly quiet, ride smoothly, have ridiculous traction wet or dry even with north of 400hp, and allegedly even last over 30k miles.

Personally I have never gone more than 20k miles or so on all the sets of tires I have had, so that last line may take a bit of 'proof'. I'll get back to you on that!

^^^Hahaha, no we don't!

Both my car and Overkill's have new Michelin Pilot SS summer only tires. They are amazingly quiet, ride smoothly, have ridiculous traction wet or dry even with north of 400hp, and allegedly even last over 30k miles.

Personally I have never gone more than 20k miles or so on all the sets of tires I have had, so that last line may take a bit of 'proof'. I'll get back to you on that!

I can believe THAT...I believe I read once (edit: found it...see below *quote from Florida DOT) that Florida roadways are impregnated with crushed shell...if so...driving on them would be like riding on sandpaper...

"...* Aggregates to be used in asphalt concrete may contain up to 5% free shell.
Free shell is defined as that portion of the coarse aggregate retained on the No. 4 sieve consisting of loose, whole, or broken shell, or the external skeletal remains of other marine life, having a ratio of the maximum length of the particle to the shell wall thickness exceeding five to one."
...from: http://www.dot.state.fl.us/specificationsoffice/Implemented/SpecBooks/2013/Files/2013eBook.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back