20w50 castrol gtx on a ford 4.2 f150 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.
is castrol gtx 20w50 appropiate for a ford f150 2002 with 2002 4.2 engine with standard 5 speed with 75,000 miles in weather like south texas where it is extremely hard average 105 f. in the summer? Am I thorough enough? Thank you for your input.
usa2.gif

Ok, you didn't need to start a new topic for this question, but try a 15w40 oil first, as I think that 20w50 would be just a little thick viscosty wise for that engine.

Isn't that one spec'd for 5w20 or 5w30?

I would run chevron delo 15w40 in this motor.

20w50 is going to be a touch too thick.

This motor is an old fashioned design, basically a stroked 3.8L v6.

I believe Ford spec's 5W-20 for that engine/year. Being an "old style" push rod engine and your climate I'd think that a quality 5/10W-30 would give you the protection in the heat and still allow for rapid "cold" start up oil flow plus possibly better mpg.

Just curious, why 20W-50?

Whimsey

I would also try Delo 15W40 or Delvac 15W40. Not only is the 15W440 going to hold it's viscosity better it will have a beefier additive package and will flow better then a PCMO 20W50! Trust us if you ahve been useing PCMO 20W50 you will love 15W40 it is a better oil all the way around!!!

I can't believe you guys are recommending 15W-40 for an engine speced for 5W-20.
pat2.gif

I'm waiting for the special (thin) forces guys to repel out of the helicopter onto this thread and set you guys straight.
nono.gif

Quote:

I'm waiting for the special (thin) forces guys to repel out of the helicopter onto this thread and set you guys straight.
nono.gif

laugh.gif

5w-20 if you can be a "believer". 5w-30 if you need "peace of mind".

Now if you're sucking oil into the thing like you forgot to put in the drain plug ..and coal tar seems to slow it up a bit ..then scoop it in.

If a car specifies a 30 wt. oil and somebody wants to try a 20 wt. oil then there is a lot of flack.

If a car specifies a 20 wt. oil then a host of people jump in and recommend 30, 40 and 50 wt. oils. The good news is that these very people, in the not too distant past, only recommended a 20W-50 or a straight 50 wt. oil. So I guess they are learning some of the new information, but slowly.

Ford tested their trucks with 20 wt. oils in the worst of 115 F ambient temperatures pulling maximum loads and found that the engines had as good or better wear characteristics than with other thicker oils. This has been verified by thousands of similar situations with millions of miles.

I personally like Motorcraft oils. I will be trying it in my wife's Lamborghini Murcielago that has been running Red Line 5W-20 for several years now with exceptional wear results. This is despite the fact the the factory recommended oil is 5W-40.

aehaas

This board is divided up by the application of the lubricant - PCMO, HDEO, etc.

Imaging how peaceful it would be if it was divided up by viscosity - a "20" thread, a "30" thread, etc.

We'd have nothing to argue about!

20w-50 is not appropriate for your truck.

The thickest oil I would advise in that vehicle is 10w-30.

Personally I would use 5w-20 Motorcraft blend.

I would cut it about 50/50 with 10w30 to bring it down to a 15w40. Actually that would be a nice brew given the 15W part.

It is simple MErkava he asked about 20W50 not 5W20! So my responce is to his actual question. I know I know few people seem to rember that if someone ask's you a question you are actualy supposed to answere that question. He did not ask about 5W20! He did not ask what the oil cap recomends! He did not ask what Ford or the Owners Manual recomend!He asked about 20W50 and I gave him a recomendation not an edict to try 15W40 as an alternative to 20W50. By not saying "no 20W50 will cause your engine to self destruct!!!" I also answered his question about wether or not 20W50 would work in that engine in his environament at those ambient temp's!

I would also add that 15W40 has better flow then PCMO 20W50 so we I did recommend a slightly thiner better flowing lubricant!

Here is a typical responce to a question on bitog!!!ie...

(Q)What color is the sky?
(A)I will have the meatloaf.

fence.gif

Gary, These guys can not repel from a helio!!! The rope would be too thick for their likeing and dental floss will not hold their weight. I sure they just free fall out the helio and hope the thin cushion of compressed air under their body provides enough cushioning effect!
cheers.gif
fruit.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back