2020-2021 explorer ST

yeah I drove one last weekend. Pretty fast and sporty.
I was most impressed with the 10 speed shifting with this 3.0 engine. The smaller engine in the xlt model was to shift happy with the same 10 speed.

The 2020 Explorer has had significant build quality issues.

Google search "2020 Explorer build quality issues" for numerous hits.

That would be cause enough for me to look elsewhere.

The 2020 Explorer has had significant build quality issues.

Google search "2020 Explorer build quality issues" for numerous hits.

That would be cause enough for me to look elsewhere.
The one I rented was solid as can be. New models have problems, Ford fixed them. Move along nothing to see here.

Yes I heard about that with the 2020 models. But I would never buy a first year model
If I buy it I’ll be at 2021. hopefully I would have the same luck as my 06 Mustang. 2nd year model never had an issue never been in the shop for anything, love that car

I’m really liking this, opinions?
My opinion wait based on Ford admits they launched too fast and dealing with engineering problems.

I would wait till the 2022 or further while Ford finishes the 2020/2021 in customer hands.

I personally find the front end design absolutely repulsive, but looks are very subjective, and some may love it.

Are these vehicles still having issues popping the PTUs? The units from a couple years ago ran very hot, and the average Joe owner doesn't think about changing the oil in this part of the driveline. All I know is I wouldn't buy a used model without an extensive service history.

Loving that it's now on the Mustang platform. Haven't driven one yet, but I'm looking forward to trying one out.
The 2020+ Explorer uses the CD6 platform which is currently used by the Explorer and the Lincoln Aviator. The current Mustang is still using the D2C platform, updated with independent rear suspension.

The 2020+ Explorer uses the CD6 platform which is currently used by the Explorer and the Lincoln Aviator. The current Mustang is still using the D2C platform, updated with independent rear suspension.
Correct.

The next generation mustang is rumored to be built on the same platform as the Mustang.

Sorry for the mis-info. Must've been a rumor I read on the Mustang forum.

CD6.JPG

I like it a lot, rear wheel drive and I read they designed it so a 4x8 sheet lays on the floor. Don’t know if it would stick out some but still important to many and useable to get that plywood or Sheetrock home.

I drove the previous gen FWD with the little I4 eco boost as a loaner was very pleased with it. I haven’t seen the newest ones but my general opinion is that Ford has really done well with their late model engines and driveline programming. I’m not as big of an suv fan, but if someone in my family wanted an explorer I’d fully support it.

Back