2017 PSD 6100 miles/214 hours HPL 5w40 cold climate

6100 mile sample. Truck saw lots of heavy towing at least 60% or more of the mileage. About 3 months of winter use. I have an idea of what my plan is but Let’s hear the comments.

Attachments

• IMG_9310.jpeg
    IMG_9310.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
That's looks great. There's a good bit of fuel, but it's still in grade. The wear numbers are good. The TBN is still strong. There's little oxidation change.

It seems this engine really likes to dilute the oil. The bulk of it is likely from towing.

That's looks great. There's a good bit of fuel, but it's still in grade. The wear numbers are good. The TBN is still strong. There's little oxidation change.

It seems this engine really likes to dilute the oil. The bulk of it is likely from towing.
My commute to work is 7-8 miles. Probably a combination of that, towing, and the regen design.

The viscosity is the lowest it’s been. Probably not much oxidative thickening yet. I was considering running it few more months and resample. 10K will almost certainly be a condemnation point.

Last edited:
I know that I said "keep on truckin" on your last 7.4% Fuel UOA but I've kind of established a "limit" for fuel for a diesel. I put it at 7% Max. You could put a few more miles on this oil though & the wear numbers are good.

Let us know what your plans are once your ready to share.

Changed oil and filters. 8206 miles 308 hours. Fuel dilution is interesting…doesn’t track linearly in this inverval. Looks like I could have rode this out a bit longer. Anyone have an explanation?

Fair jump in iron wear and aluminum wear rate in just 2000 miles.

One point of interest. The oil sample sat in the sealed bottle for about 4 months before sending it in. Mostly because I kept forgetting..but I’m sure that didn’t have anything to do with it.

IMG_0415.jpeg

Last edited:
It appears you may have more idling hours on this sample? That might explain the tick up on Al. Good to see fuel come back down. Silicon seems to be as usual according to your previous samples & I'm surprised it's up that high regardless. My 6.0L averages around 7 PPM with that mileage & let's just assume your PSD has double the power so it's sucking in double the air it would still be around 14 ppm. Have you double checked the intake system? The Fe seems to be just fine though for the mileage.

It appears you may have more idling hours on this sample? That might explain the tick up on Al. Good to see fuel come back down. Silicon seems to be as usual according to your previous samples & I'm surprised it's up that high regardless. My 6.0L averages around 7 PPM with that mileage & let's just assume your PSD has double the power so it's sucking in double the air it would still be around 14 ppm. Have you double checked the intake system? The Fe seems to be just fine though for the mileage.

This is still ongoing leaching from copious amounts of silicone on the upper and lower oil pans. Insane amounts used. There is a fair amount of idle hours, but all fast idle. And I can’t really say it’s any more than summer time. I was towing through the beginning of November and took the sample a month later.

Aluminum jumped 9 ppm in 2000 miles and iron 7 ppm. The entire previous 6100 sample had 18 iron and 4 aluminum. Just seems odd that’s all. Along with a decrease of 2% fuel. Almost makes you question the sample slightly. I have WAY more idle hours in colder temps since then. But still way off from a sample

6100 sample iron wear rate is 3.38/1000 miles aluminum 1.52/1000 miles

6100-8200 sample iron 3.5/1000 (tracks with sample) and aluminum 4.5/1000. Wonder if a piston got a little warm during a regen. I just hope a piece of silicone hasn’t broken off and clogged a piston cooler jet. I have seen it happen on these motors before.

We’ll see what things look like in a few thousand more miles or so.

Last edited:
This is still ongoing leaching from copious amounts of silicone on the upper and lower oil pans. Insane amounts used. There is a fair amount of idle hours, but all fast idle. And I can’t really say it’s any more than summer time. I was towing through the beginning of November and took the sample a month later.

Aluminum jumped 9 ppm in 2000 miles and iron 7 ppm. The entire previous 6100 sample had 18 iron and 4 aluminum. Just seems odd that’s all. Along with a decrease of 2% fuel. Almost makes you question the sample slightly. I have WAY more idle hours in colder temps since then. But still way off from a sample

6100 sample iron wear rate is 3.38/1000 miles aluminum 1.52/1000 miles

6100-8200 sample iron 3.5/1000 (tracks with sample) and aluminum 4.5/1000. Wonder if a piston got a little warm during a regen. I just hope a piece of silicone hasn’t broken off and clogged a piston cooler jet. I have seen it happen on these motors before.

We’ll see what things look like in a few thousand more miles or so.
Yeah, strange things happen & my last sample spiked across the board too but I was 70-80 MPH hauling the camper which I attributed to the higher wear metals than my previous samples. Could your speed & or load have changed in this last sample?

@fantastic No. I towed more or less the same area/conditions. And the same trailer. There is far less towing miles on the last sample vs the 6100

@fantastic No. I towed more or less the same area/conditions. And the same trailer. There is far less towing miles on the last sample vs the 6100
Thanks, I'd just assume it's a temporary spike for now. :unsure:
They're made to work & a spike here or there until it doesn't fire up or something blows. :cool:
The oil itself is in good shape.

Back