2017 Hyundai Elantra SE or 2016 Toyota Corolla LE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I myself hate toyota, but it's not necessarily because there's anything wrong with the cars. It's more how they come off with their commercials and how their owners can be extremely smug fartsniffers.

That said, I would get the toyota over the hyundai any day.

Wish I could recommend a Golf S 5MT, but everyone is hesitant on VW reliability.

Otherwise, you could buy a much nicer car (the Golf), with a higher class interior and ride quality, that has more HP and torque, yet gets similar mileage. Because of VWs image issue, you can get a nicer car, for the same or less cash currently.

A Golf or Mazda3 would be the driver's car choice, the Corolla, the appliance choice.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresu...archSource=SORT

So I own a Toyota, Subaru, and a Hyundai... so I say it depends on what you want.

Hyundai is more reliable than Honda, not quite as reliable as Toyota. Mazda and Hyundai are about the same so it really depends on the model than the brand at that point. Hyundai will trounce the Golf (aka thank God for Fiat/Chrysler or the Golf would look bad) Toyota claims higher reliability because they can sell a early-2000 designed car 15 years with only minor changes. Thus it evolves and improves.... but at the same time the car feels archaic... because it is. If you don't care about cars and don't worry about car-things, the Corolla is the way to go.

Do you really wish you could get a Miata but are force to get something "practical"? The Mazda3 is the pick. It is a "driver's" car... but where they invested in "driving dynamics" they nixed in creature comforts. So it is a bit less comfortable, more noise, and less goodies for the price.

Hyundai is the compromise choice. It is in the middle. It is better to drive than the Corolla but with a lot more amenities. You do sacrifice some of the ancient Toyota reliability but you get more other areas.

Sleeper pick would be the Elantra GT (internationally known as the i30) as it is much more of a driver's car than people give it credit and is still very comfortable. Likewise, the Scion iM is a better-than-advertised mix of comfort and decent suspension. I would go for the hatches...

Subaru is fantastic but I would only go with it if you need snow-use. So that is Asheville, not Charlotte. The AWD is a bit more to keep up if there is no immediate and tangible reward. I MUST go to work in the mountains and in 18" of snow/ice.

I would go into the buying thinking 1)Mazda3 Hatch 2)Hyundai Elantra GT, and 3) Scion/Toyota iM... and then see which would give me the best deal as all are so close it is almost a statistical tie (I prefer the styling of the Mazda3 and Hyundai so it is really between those two)

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Do you really wish you could get a Miata but are force to get something "practical"? The Mazda3 is the pick. It is a "driver's" car... but where they invested in "driving dynamics" they nixed in creature comforts.

Is the new Mazda3 really a driver's car?

The one I rented in 2013 had neither the creature comforts nor the driving dynamics. Steering felt vague and it had non-responsive handling. Maybe it was just a neglected rental car though...

I think and could be wrong but the Mazda 3s are about $2000 more than the competition. The dealers don't discount much off msrp. It seems they carry a premium. My neighbor bought one about six months ago then purchased another one recently. So they now have two in the household.

Car and Driver has the Mazda 3 listed as one of the cars in their 2016 Top Ten list. I'm betting it's the one with the larger engine in it. My friend has one which was really nice and peppy. With the smaller engine it's kind of boring.

Originally Posted By: mike7139
Which car would you pick? Prices are almost identical. Are these new Hyundai's just as reliable as a Toyota or Honda?

If you are open to suggestions may I suggest a new Jetta. You can get the base model for $16,000 and it comes very well equipped, hardly a stripped down model. If you spend around $17-$18 you can get the mid level SE which comes with the 1.8T, leatherette seats, and some other goodies not found on the base S. Both engines (1.4T and 1.8T) have plenty of pep and get stellar MPG's. This chassis has been around since 2011 and the 1.8T engine around since early 2014 so I suspect most bugs have been worked out. The auto transmission is an Aisin unit so I would suspect it would be pretty reliable as well. Just thought I would suggest as the current generation Jetta offers a LOT of car for the money. Its often overlooked but well worth a look IMO.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Do you really wish you could get a Miata but are force to get something "practical"? The Mazda3 is the pick. It is a "driver's" car... but where they invested in "driving dynamics" they nixed in creature comforts.

Is the new Mazda3 really a driver's car?

The one I rented in 2013 had neither the creature comforts nor the driving dynamics. Steering felt vague and it had non-responsive handling. Maybe it was just a neglected rental car though...

Not sure what happens with rentals and their upkeep, but I think there was a power-steering issues with many so I don't know. Could have been the issue, could have even been the tires. Don't know. Out of the privately owned Mazdas, I haven't felt like it was numb. Not a "sportscar" feedback but compared to other FWD econoboxes, it stands out.

For the class, it is absolutely the driver's pick. Maybe the Fords come close-ish adn the few rebadged Euro odd-balls (iM, Elantra GT, etc). I compare the Mazda3 to a lot of the old 90s-era Civics/80s Accords. Being a late90s-early00s "adult", a lot of my friends drove the hand-me-down late 80s early 90s Hondas. So when they had a good job later, they wanted something like their old Hondas (and when Honda wanted to be more like Toyota they "deleted" that feels) so I recommended Mazda as the economical-sporty torchbearer. So far I think all but one went from Honda to Mazda with that recommendation.

In my own case, it really comes down to preferences. If I'm spending the vast majority of my time in commuter traffic then the driver's car designation doesn't mean too much. If the car effects my dental work more than my testosterone, then I'll get the more comfortable car.

I drove a 2013 3 for a few weeks and I personally liked my 2009 better even though the newer 3 was somewhat more comfortable. The newest iterations are nicer still but it all depends on what you're driving in daily and if that 15% of the time you can take an off ramp faster than the posted speed, etc. makes a difference to you. I was surprised to see that this 2013 I drove had the familiar vague electric steering versus the hydraulic-electric steering of my 2009...that doesn't scream "driver's car" to me. Having a numb clutch versus one that approximates a weight stack might make a difference in commuter traffic if you don't want an automatic. If I took long trips or regularly sat in traffic, I'd want to be in the Corolla or Elantra.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The hottest selling compact sedan is 2016 Civic,

And Big Mac is the hottest selling sandwich. Does it make it great food?
smile.gif

smile.gif

Big Mac wasn't even an acceptable sandwich and never will be a good one.

2015 Civic was an okay compact car, the 2016 version is much improved according to most reviewers.

Almost all car sizes and models are selling at lower volume from year to date compares with last year, only Civic sold more than last year for the first 6 months of 2016.

Adding these two factors, I think if I was in market or a compact sedan I would test drive it and Mazda 3.

Last edited:

2015 Civic was an okay compact car, the 2016 version is much improved according to most reviewers.

So you're saying the 2016 is the McDLT of Civics?
grin2.gif

Almost all car sizes and models are selling at lower volume from year to date compares with last year, only Civic sold more than last year for the first 6 months of 2016.

That should tell you how bad the 9th gen was, not how good the 10th "might" be (which is likely not as good as the 8th).

Yeah, and this 10th gen is the "OMG, you better sober up or you are fired redesign" after Honda completely did massive amount of crack, hired some hookers, pawned over the design to the meth-addled accountants, and began producing things even GM snickered at. GM said, hey they did what we did in the 80s and 90s... hahaha. The 9th Gen Civic was awful and they made it not-horrible but not good by the end. Look at ALL of Honda's recent vehicles since the recession and with the exception of the Accord, they are mid-pack, less reliable, higher-priced "meh" vehicles. I would actually consider the very end of the Cobalt's existence to be a better overall car than the 9th gen Civic.

It is my belief that once you fall off the wagon with a good car, you can't really capture it back easily (or at all). You can't pull a "Mercedes" and go from "quality" to "profit margins" and instantly go back to "quality". Why? Because you probably focused on margins that you neglected R&D and that "starting over" limits you ability to improve on a good design (see the Toyota Method). My guess, because the 10th Gen has 2 new engines, a new tranny, this car will be a problem child year model and might only be saved if they can see multiple years where they work out this year's kinks. So the Civic's sales right now are those who "always" go out and buy Civics because the badge says civic and believe in that late 90s myth of Honda. We have to wait to see if Honda found a decent rehab clinic for those crack-addled 9th gen designers and engineers.

Considering that Civic is an unknown (thanks 9th gen), and the new model sales will keep dealer greedy, then other cars are as good/better with better discounts. If you are running out to buy the 10th Gen civic, that means you found some of the 9th gen's leftover crack.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

So you're saying the 2016 is the McDLT of Civics?
grin2.gif

Oh dear lord... my father might have been working for McD's advertising at that time. Ahh, the memories of being a happy meal toy "test" kid.

However, I raise you the McDLT with the BigMac Bird v Jordan

https://youtu.be/_oACRt-Qp-s

Last edited:

smile.gif

Big Mac wasn't even an acceptable sandwich and never will be a good one.

And that was my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back