2017 Ford Fusion Sport - 325 hp, 350 tq, AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I think the manual trans has a lot to do with the "formula." I'm not even sure if manual is still available on the Q50. The one I drove was automatic, as it was going to be my wife's car.

Yeah. I did have a few of the G35 autos as loaners over my 6 years with it and they seemed to be fun driving too - very light and sporty feeling. But without the 3 pedals. Seemed to be a winning formula for them as the car was consistently top of the class for sports sedans.

The vast majority folks would never consider a bmw and ford in the same sentence nor cross shop the two. Ford can be superior in all ways but no cares because it's not a bmw.

Ford is not my cup of tea but they definitely are coming up with the products. No image but product.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Originally Posted By: ccap41
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Meh, they are going to slap a $40k sticker on it.

So the typical Ford Fusion buying experience will look like this:

Test drive a $40k 325hp Ford Fusion, walk over to the BMW dealer and get a 3 series.

..with 180hp/200tq or 240hp/255tq.. 40k Won't get you into a 335i(340i as of now) You'll also have a larger interior and AWD. Well at least the everyday soccer mom will have driving dynamics.
wink.gif

Yes but its still a Ford Fusion, my experience with Ford Fusions is threw Enterprise and the midsize upgrade.

I simply dislike them.

Well for 40k you can drive your Focus-like power 320i or Focus ST-like 328i and I'll take the 325hp/350tq AWD Fusion. lol
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: madRiver
The vast majority folks would never consider a bmw and ford in the same sentence nor cross shop the two. Ford can be superior in all ways but no cares because it's not a bmw.

Ford is not my cup of tea but they definitely are coming up with the products. No image but product.

True. BMW shoppers may cross shop Mercedes, Audi, and maybe Infiniti but that's about it.

I could care less about image. When the Fusion Sport owner shows the 318i owner his taillights thats worth it.
smile.gif

I must say, if you can get it for around 30k after all incentives, thats a pretty good value. Now if they only offered it as a station wagon...
smile.gif

Family hauler that handles and scoots for $30k? Done!

And, this engine will be in a gazillion pickups, so parts will be available for years to come. The only issues might be the Fusion-specific AWD parts.

Seems like everyone gets gaga and excited over these powerful awd plebeian cars. But sadly they sell in paltry #'s in performance form. Examples:

Subaru Legacy gt
Mazdaspeed 6

Both excellent but just barely sold. What's different about this ford?

I dont suppose this is coming to the us anytime soon...

Ford-Mondeo.jpg

I'm not a wagon lover but I have to admit that is a sharp looking car.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
The only issues might be the Fusion-specific AWD parts.

Still not quite sure what Awd system it really is. It appears to be similar to haldex...

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I dont suppose this is coming to the us anytime soon...

Ford-Mondeo.jpg

I'm not a wagon lover but I have to admit that is a sharp looking car.

I'm a wagon fan, and it looks like bloated pig to me.

Has the fusion suspension improved any? Last heard it was quite floaty on the road. Dropping more power in can only make that worse. Hopefully that's not the case with this new model.

Still not quite sure what Awd system it really is. It appears to be similar to haldex...

If it shares parts with the system in the Focus RS, that'll be good since it means that aftermarket support will be there for a while. If it's a true one-off like GM's Autotrak, that's not good since it makes the vehicle junkyard fodder when a PTO or clutch pack fails. Or when the transfer case fluid needs to be changed...

If it shares parts with the system in the Focus RS, that'll be good since it means that aftermarket support will be there for a while. If it's a true one-off like GM's Autotrak, that's not good since it makes the vehicle junkyard fodder when a PTO or clutch pack fails. Or when the transfer case fluid needs to be changed...

See Taurus SHO, Police Interceptor, Explorer, Flex. All AWD, all able to handle more power than the Fusion.

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
Has the fusion suspension improved any? Last heard it was quite floaty on the road. Dropping more power in can only make that worse. Hopefully that's not the case with this new model.

I had a 2014 as a rental a couple months ago. It was an SE / 4cyl, so it was SLOW. And the steering was way too sensitive and had a serious lack of feel. The suspension was a little under-damped (hitting certain bumps at high speeds could get it a little upset), but it wasn't quite floaty. It kept itself together fine when pushed in the corners though (well, as much as the stock all-seasons had the grip for).

Seems like everyone gets gaga and excited over these powerful awd plebeian cars. But sadly they sell in paltry #'s in performance form. Examples:

Subaru Legacy gt
Mazdaspeed 6

Nothing, they are going to sell like three of them. No different from manuals that everyone on the forums wants and no one buys.

Its just a halo car to get people to not associate the Fusion with rental car fleets.

Last edited:

Subaru Legacy gt
Mazdaspeed 6

Did you ever trying getting your hands on a Mazdaspeed6? Dealers had a difficult time meeting demand for those. They didn't make many but that doesn't mean nobody wanted them.

Originally Posted By: ccap41
Originally Posted By: stranger706
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I bet that engine does move ... it can tow 8000 pounds in a F150. Does Ford have a FWD transmission to handle it? I guess what they use in the SHO

The 2.7 TT makes a bit more horserpower and torque than the old 5.4 2V engine. It's like having a medium sized V8 in a front driver. Crazy!

Yeah - they use the 6F55 in the SHO. Upgraded the 6F50 internals to handle the power and it's AWD ready.

Heck, the 3.5 in my SHO has more power than my 1997 Mustang Cobra had!

I may seriously consider this next year when the truck is paid off. Could be a hoot.

From http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2017-ford-fusion-photos-and-info-news

"An eight-speed automatic is standard in all nonhybrid Fusions."

I don't know anything about the 8 speed.

I'm almost 100% positive that Ford does not and will not have an 8spd

Yeah. The configurator is up now, and it shows a 6-speed auto trans. Doesn't say which one, but I'm guessing it's the 6F55?

http://shop.ford.com/build/fusion/2017/#...9P.NONFLEET.%5D

On a related note, how has the long term reliability of the 6F55 trans been in other Ford applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back