2017 Ford Fusion Sport - 325 hp, 350 tq, AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ccap41

I believe the 1.0 in the Fiesta/Focus is also an exception that takes 5w-20.

You are correct, sir.

It is strange that the 2009-2010 Ecoboost 3.5 gets 5w20 (never back specced) while all the 2011+ get 5w30 except the 1.0. Never understood what was going on there. But the 2009-2010's are soldiering on without issue on 5w20.

If I remember correctly, Ford is leading the way on the 10spd for RWD applications and GM is leading the way on the 9spd for FWD/AWD applications and they will each use both transmissions eventually.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: deven
I wonder if they recommend 5w20 for that engine.

All Ecoboosts with the exception of the 2009-2010 units get 5W30. The 2009-2010's get 5W20.

The 1.5/1.6EB also gets 5W20.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

All Ecoboosts with the exception of the 2009-2010 units get 5W30. The 2009-2010's get 5W20.

Ahh yes! I thought there was another one but I completely forgot about the 1.6/5EB as a whole.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
They are working with GM on more Transmissions? I thought that other one they worked together on was a big turd? Or am I misremembering?

There were some early programming issues with the 6F50/6F55 (the joint trans) but those were resolved. There were also some bad transmission range selectors in the 2008-2010 models but they seem to hold up well (mine is doing fine in the SHO).

The 6F35 also had some early issues but programming seems to have improved. It's fine in the wife's 16 Escape. Only "issue" is it's slow to with from reverse to drive when cold. But that is a Ford thing.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

So much for the standardization on the Ecoboosts. Any thoughts on why they switched the 3.5 to 5w30 and why the 2.0 uses it too?

So much for the standardization on the Ecoboosts. Any thoughts on why they switched the 3.5 to 5w30 and why the 2.0 uses it too?

I'm guessing it comes down to either the turbos in those holding up better with the thicker oil or an issue of bearing loading in the engine (bearing size vs power output) where they found the durability gains from the thicker oil outweighed the mpg gains from going thinner.

Meh, they are going to slap a $40k sticker on it.

So the typical Ford Fusion buying experience will look like this:

Test drive a $40k 325hp Ford Fusion, walk over to the BMW dealer and get a 3 series.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Test drive a $40k 325hp Ford Fusion, walk over to the BMW dealer and get a 3 series.

Yes, but a comparable (from a performance perspective) 3-series with a couple of packages/options added on will cost in the mid 50s. Ford on the other hand will probably have a bunch of rebates/discounts available that will make the final price more attractive.

Yep, you'll probably be able to get 10k off msrp on a 40k Fusion after its been out close to the year mark. While the BMW will still be around 40k.

..with 180hp/200tq or 240hp/255tq.. 40k Won't get you into a 335i(340i as of now) You'll also have a larger interior and AWD. Well at least the everyday soccer mom will have driving dynamics.
wink.gif

Fusion Sport starts at $34,350. Checking every option box on the configurator gets $40,495 MSRP.

325i xDrive starts at $36,135 with cloth and 0 options in either black or white. Check all the boxes less track package is $44,695 in a color other than black or white. About a $5k premium for the BMW.

Tough call but I think I'd head over to the Infiniti dealer and see what the Q50 (G37 successor) felt like. BMW seems expensive to buy, own and maintain.

Still very interested in this - either this, the Mustang, Focus RT, Infiniti Q50, or even a Land Rover Evoque for the next vehicle.

325i xDrive starts at $36,135 with cloth and 0 options in either black or white.

There is no 325i xDrive.

320i xDrive starts at around $35K, but that's apples-to-oranges when it comes to performance vs this Focus Sport. You need to be comparing it to 340i xDrive which has a starting price of $48K.

Quote:
Tough call but I think I'd head over to the Infiniti dealer and see what the Q50 (G37 successor) felt like.

I test drove one. It felt big and heavy, and not as nimble as a 3-series. On top of that, all the electronics in the Q50 were just too much, but I suppose that's where most cars are going these days.

This should be a relatively normal volume car and not a rare model. In other words, typical Ford sticker price with lots of incentives. You should be able to get these in the low 30s.

For a performance teaser, CarandDriver got the Ford Edge Sport 2.7 from 0-60 in 5.6 seconds. That vehicle weighs over 4400 pounds. The Fusion Sport is the same chassis and drivetrain with 10 more hp, and it weighs 800 pounds less! I think we might see 0-60 around 5 seconds or less. I would definitely trade my Focus ST for one.

Sounds interesting! I wonder if it will be toned down abit, to keep it from beating on the Mustang too much?
A real AWD launch with that ecoboost must put it a few car lengths ahead of even the GT.

..with 180hp/200tq or 240hp/255tq.. 40k Won't get you into a 335i(340i as of now) You'll also have a larger interior and AWD. Well at least the everyday soccer mom will have driving dynamics.
wink.gif

Yes but its still a Ford Fusion, my experience with Ford Fusions is threw Enterprise and the midsize upgrade.

I simply dislike them.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
325i xDrive starts at $36,135 with cloth and 0 options in either black or white.

There is no 325i xDrive.

320i xDrive starts at around $35K, but that's apples-to-oranges when it comes to performance vs this Focus Sport. You need to be comparing it to 340i xDrive which has a starting price of $48K.

Whoops - can't edit it now. That's even worse from a value perspective.

Quote:

Quote:
Tough call but I think I'd head over to the Infiniti dealer and see what the Q50 (G37 successor) felt like.

I test drove one. It felt big and heavy, and not as nimble as a 3-series. On top of that, all the electronics in the Q50 were just too much, but I suppose that's where most cars are going these days.

Ugh. I don't mind the electronic stuff but my 04 G35 Sedan 6MT was a blast to drive. Very quick and fun to drive (and 99% of a 3-series for a lot less). Sounds like they ruined that formula.
frown.gif

Ugh. I don't mind the electronic stuff but my 04 G35 Sedan 6MT was a blast to drive. Very quick and fun to drive (and 99% of a 3-series for a lot less). Sounds like they ruined that formula.
frown.gif

I think the manual trans has a lot to do with the "formula." I'm not even sure if manual is still available on the Q50. The one I drove was automatic, as it was going to be my wife's car.

Whoops - can't edit it now. That's even worse from a value perspective.

Yup, that was the point I was trying to make. Fusion Sport and 340i are in very different price categories, especially when comparing actual amounts paid and not MSRP stickers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back