2017 Ford Fusion Sport - 325 hp, 350 tq, AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting to see the fuel mileage rating on these. For reference, my 2016 F150 with the 2.7 is rated at 18/23 - in a Full Size 4x4 truck!

Subaru did an iteration of its Legacy just like this in 2010-2012 which sold poorly. Basically an WRX engine/6 speed manual in otherwise plain Jane Legacy with no upgrade in looks, suspension, or handling. It barely sold.

Sadly the prior generation 2005-2009 legacy gt my wife owns wagon form had the power, transmission and handling, rally car roots to qualify it now as cult classic car as it was a hoot to drive.

I wish ford luck.

I don't think Ford is planning on selling too many of them. Marketing has been non-existent, and media coverage has been super slow to roll out, even though the cars have already been sitting on dealer lots for close to 2 months now.

Ford initially came out swinging, bragging about the huge amount of torque, dropping hints that torque = acceleration, making people believe this thing was going to be some kind of a rocket ship.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/2016/06/9/Fusion-V6-Sport-Torque.pdf

Way to overhype things and then under-deliver.

But on the other hand, I see a lot of happy owners on one of the Fusion Sport forums I lurk on. It probably just depends on expectations.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I don't think Ford is planning on selling too many of them. Marketing has been non-existent, and media coverage has been super slow to roll out, even though the cars have already been sitting on dealer lots for close to 2 months now.

Ford initially came out swinging, bragging about the huge amount of torque, dropping hints that torque = acceleration, making people believe this thing was going to be some kind of a rocket ship.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/2016/06/9/Fusion-V6-Sport-Torque.pdf

Way to overhype things and then under-deliver.

But on the other hand, I see a lot of happy owners on one of the Fusion Sport forums I lurk on. It probably just depends on expectations.

I think say little and delivered more than most critics expected is a better marketing strategy.

Honestly, for the price (especially if you wait a little until Ford starts discounting them heavily), this is not a bad overall package. I was secretly dreaming that I could get into one for cheap and get 99% of the excitement that an S4 or a 340i delivers, and keep the extra $15-$20K in the bank. I knew it was probably too good to be true, and it certainly proved that way.

But for someone who was looking at a car like the Fusion to begin with, and just wishing for some extra oomph, Sport is a viable option, IMO.

Those autovlog 0-60/0-100 videos are interesting. I would have imagined the car to be much faster. I wonder what elevation these were at? The 2.7 in this car has 40 less hp but 30lb/ft more torque than an SHO and weighs less. It should be quicker. Seems like it needs a tune but you shouldn't have to, plus the warranty issues that come along with that.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Those autovlog 0-60/0-100 videos are interesting. I would have imagined the car to be much faster. I wonder what elevation these were at? The 2.7 in this car has 40 less hp but 30lb/ft more torque than an SHO and weighs less. It should be quicker. Seems like it needs a tune but you shouldn't have to, plus the warranty issues that come along with that.

Would gearing and tires make a difference?

Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: panthermike

Would gearing and tires make a difference?

Gearing, not really strong side of any new mid size family car like Fusion, Accord etc. Gears are too long, made for MPG. Yes there is HP, torque and other selling points, but they put average at best transmission to achieve fleet MPG.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Test drove one this weekend. Of course it was filled with 87 gas, so it wasnt as peppy as it could have been, but still fairly quick. Surprisingly, people are only getting 0-60 on these cars in high 5 seconds, while on 93 oct gas, which is slower than expected. But i havent seen any instrumented tests from any of the major mags yet.

All in all not a bad package, but the trans programming, suspension, and steering isn't as buttoned up as a bmw 340i. Granted, fusion sport is probably some $15k cheaper.

One negative that i noticed and is getting confirmed on some fusion forums is that the engine sound inside the cabin appears to be fake - piped through the speakers.

Also, you only get one interior color option - gray. Seat fabric feels good, but looks kind of cheap, IMO.

I would say 328i would give that Fusion run for the money.
335i (or 340i) would leave it in a dust.

Aren't the 2.0 ecboosts pretty quick in fwd? Esp since it weighs so much less, 500 lbs or so. Probably get one of those for 28k.

The sticker on the Fusion Sport I believe is 35k which is the same price as a Focus RS. I'm sure the driving experience with those two cars is like night and day. If I was looking for some excitement, I know which one I'd want to test drive, the RS.

The RS will probably be more fun to drive than an S4 or BMW 340i. Plus you save 15k and probably get leather seats to boot. The only con to the RS I'm thinking is it's kind of boy racer compared to the Audi and BMW. At least it doesn't have a shopping cart handle rear wing on the deck lid like the WRX STI. Although you can get that with the trunk lip for the same price.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Aren't the 2.0 ecboosts pretty quick in fwd? Esp since it weighs so much less, 500 lbs or so. Probably get one of those for 28k.

The sticker on the Fusion Sport I believe is 35k which is the same price as a Focus RS. I'm sure the driving experience with those two cars is like night and day. If I was looking for some excitement, I know which one I'd want to test drive, the RS.

The RS will probably be more fun to drive than an S4 or BMW 340i. Plus you save 15k and probably get leather seats to boot. The only con to the RS I'm thinking is it's kind of boy racer compared to the Audi and BMW. At least it doesn't have a shopping cart handle rear wing on the deck lid like the WRX STI. Although you can get that with the trunk lip for the same price.

Yeah they save weight using smaller engine. However, Fusion is value car, and probably suspension is all steel considering weight.
Yes, RS might be more fun to drive then S4 or 340i, but we are comparing apples and oranges. More fun then drive M2? Hardly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back