2016 Outback oil temp

Status
Not open for further replies.
is that the 4 cyl outback?

My 2015 forester with the fb25 runs 206-212 around town and 216-236f on the highway.

Highest so far was towing with an empty utilty trailer
Hit 246F or 248F momentarily.

Originally Posted By: Rand

My 2015 forester with the fb25 runs 206-212 around town and 216-236f on the highway.

That is a bit higher than my wrx. I typically see 208 as my maximum highway temp. Hit mid 230's during a track day last fall. That is the highest I have seen.

Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
Now you can tell how different grades affect running temp.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
Good point now I have to run all three!

I think Inspecktor's point is that it won't. It would be more appropriate to base your oil viscosity requirement on oil pressure.

Originally Posted By: legandrex

That is a bit higher than my wrx. I typically see 208 as my maximum highway temp. Hit mid 230's during a track day last fall. That is the highest I have seen.

Oil-to-coolant heat exchange on the FA20DIT. As far as I know, the FB25 doesn't have an oil cooler.

Thank goodness! I thought this was another OMGmyOil Is so HOT thread.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
You sure it's not a dummy gauge like Ford's oil pressure units?

It's a real gauge with a readout via the Multi Function Display. Do a google image search on 2016 Outback mfd oil temp.

Last edited:

My oil temp runs the same. Our 6MT have high revs on highway.

My Edge CTS gauge reads the same as dash readout.

No oiler cooler on fb25.

OP, your oil temp seems normal.

I'm using Mobil 5w-30 EP in Summer. Mobil 0w-20 EP all other seasons.

Last edited:
600 miles on car now and at 80F outside the oil was running 224 constantly. On about 5 miles of an 8% grade at 65mph it ran up to 240F. I'm not liking how quickly it climbed. I'm wondering if it would have gone higher if the grade were longer? I know most synthetic oils can handle up to 300F but I'm starting to worry about my 0w20. If I actually drove long distances through mountains and I'm going to be approaching 250F I think a 30 grade oil might be better? What do you guys think?

600 miles on car now and at 80F outside the oil was running 224 constantly. On about 5 miles of an 8% grade at 65mph it ran up to 240F. I'm not liking how quickly it climbed. I'm wondering if it would have gone higher if the grade were longer? I know most synthetic oils can handle up to 300F but I'm starting to worry about my 0w20. If I actually drove long distances through mountains and I'm going to be approaching 250F I think a 30 grade oil might be better? What do you guys think?

0W20 is working fine , but in terms of margin of safety in engine wear protection , my inclination

is for xW30 (for its higher operating viscosity) in your circumstances.
smile.gif

How about heavier grades producing slightly higher oil temps.

Originally Posted By: tig1

How about heavier grades producing slightly higher oil temps.

Sure , heavier grade of say 0W30 may produce higher oil temps than a 0W20 , as it 'should' be

the case .More so when both scenarios encounter same levels of boundary lubrication regimes in

the engine operation.

Having said this , I estimate viscosity of a typical 0W30 at 252F could be equal to the

viscosity of a typical 0W20 at 240F.

More over , HTHSv @150C of a typical 0W30 (API specs minimum 2.9 cP) should be higher than HTHSv

@150 of a typical 0W20 (where API specs minimum 2.6 cP)

Hence , higher margin of safety in engine wear protection .

Well , OP would be in the best position to validate oil temps of xW30 and/or 0W40 under best-

effort identical conditions for real field results for comparisons and evaluation.....
beer3.gif

I hit 242 degrees going up a long grade today. The car had 5 passengers and no gear. I know 20 grade is fine at that temp but I don't like how thin it it as those temps... It was only 75 degrees out. The manual does state that heavier oil may be needed in high heat, I see a stout 30 grade in my future.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about oil temps until after a few oil changes and the engine is broke-in in 10,000+ miles.

I hit 242 degrees going up a long grade today. The car had 5 passengers and no gear. I know 20 grade is fine at that temp but I don't like how thin it it as those temps... It was only 75 degrees out. The manual does state that heavier oil may be needed in high heat, I see a stout 30 grade in my future.

Thanks for sharing , Red.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back