2016 Isle of Man TT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 02SE
Another day in the books.

I do get a kick out of MSB's that bloviate and pontificate endlessly about how others should live their lives.

I don't care how they lived. I made comments attesting to the fact of how they died. If they lived it wouldn't be a problem, would it?

The IOM is a lot safer than climbing Everest. And looks a whole lot funner if you have the skill to compete.

Originally Posted By: hatt
The IOM is a lot safer than climbing Everest.

Trying to minimize the danger of one sport, by trying to compare it to something even more dangerous, is a bit like hitting yourself on the head with a hammer, because it feels good when you stop. I get loving riding and racing motorcycles. I've always had at least one in my garage from 1970 until 1997. In that time I rode tens of thousands of miles without an injury.

With that said, I always rode in the absolute safest manner possible. Over the least traveled roadways I could find, taking every precaution possible to minimize the danger involved. As anyone who rides knows, the greatest danger a street rider faces is getting hit by other vehicles. The danger of serious injury is far greater with motorcycle racing. That is assuming one wants to use the word "safe", and motorcycle racing in the same sentence.

No one in their right mind would respect, or for that matter, want to be around anyone who handled a firearm in anything but the absolute safest manner possible. It wouldn't be tolerated on any range anywhere. To do so would be stupid and foolish. Simply because that person is doing nothing but increasing the danger, without any reward by doing so. Why would racing motorcycles be any different?

The fact of the matter is The Isle Of Man is the most dangerous motorcycle race in the world. There are far "safer" venues to race on. All IOM accomplishes is increasing the risk without ANY reward. That's foolish to anyone who applies common sense. And I'm certainly not the only one who thinks this way. One of the greatest motorcycle racers of all time, 7 time Moto GP World Champion Valentino Rossi has said much the same.

http://www.visordown.com/news/general/rossi-iom-tt-is-too-dangerous

With that said, for those who wish to take these types of foolish risks, there should be nothing stopping them. We all place values on life differently. I've found the older I get, the more I value it.

Quote:
All IOM accomplishes is increasing the risk without ANY reward.
Says the people without the guts to compete in the IOM. The people who compete will always remember it. "Not because it was easy but because it was hard." The riders that didn't will always wish they would have had the skill or courage. Like dude said:
Quote:
SEVEN-TIME MotoGP world champion Valentino Rossi has expressed the view that the Isle of Man TT is too dangerous.

Rossi made the comments in an in-depth interview with Top Gear magazine, in which he told the interviewer that his biggest fear is being injured. He said: 'I did a lap of the Isle of Man, and I understand why people love this because it’s f**king awesome – it’s unbelievable, great. But, unfortunately, it’s too dangerous. Sometimes, riders are crazy.'

'The Isle of Man is very difficult. If you make a mistake, maybe it’s the last mistake.'

Clearly he doesn't have enough. IOM is more of an adventure or extreme sport. Rossi is a businessman who does business stuff.

Clearly he doesn't have enough. IOM is more of an adventure or extreme sport. Rossi is a businessman who does business stuff.

Most successful people do exactly that. An individual like Rossi, who possesses both brains and skill, doesn't have a need to take stupid, unnecessary risks. He has nothing to prove. I'm quite sure he's not offended by not having the admiration of people like you.

Originally Posted By: billt460

Most successful people do exactly that. An individual like Rossi, who possesses both brains and skill, doesn't have a need to take stupid, unnecessary risks. He has nothing to prove. I'm quite sure he's not offended by not having the admiration of people like you.

Its all where you draw your personal risk line. Why does Rossi continue to race motoGP? He's still risking his life on silly fast bikes when he has nothing to prove either, a moto2 rider was killed recently afterall.
Why do some people climb Everest? Many more people climb smaller mountains but some want to climb Everest. Its not something I want to do, but I don't call them fools either.

Originally Posted By: Koz1
Motor Bikes are extremely dangerous that's for sure. I love to ride its an amazing experience.
So is sky diving, I wouldn't want to jump out of a perfectly good plane but I love motorcycles.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Splat dead from a M.C. Crash or die over a 6 week period from cancer?

Or.... Live into your 80's by taking care of yourself, and refraining from doing stupid, dangerous things that produce no reward, except for the death they get so high on trying to defy.

When you're in the nursing home no one is going to care about the junk you bought with your "rewards." They'll be gathering around listening to you tell stories about the TT.

When you're in the nursing home no one is going to care about the junk you bought with your "rewards." They'll be gathering around listening to you tell stories about the TT.

Only if you went there as a spectator. Most of the riders will never live long enough to make it to the age of requiring a, "nursing home". You keep confusing old age with these guys. Most never make it that long. Especially with todays speeds.

Silly analogy.

Find out that you've got cancer BEFORE you elect to play Russian Roulette.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Silly analogy.

Find out that you've got cancer BEFORE you elect to play Russian Roulette.
Live hard die young and leave a good looking corpse.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Not quite sure that bloke bouncing off the wall achieved the latter.
He was good looking the millisecond before hitting the wall. When I was young I was pretty . Now I am old I am uglier than age itself. Although my charm still works.
49.gif
happy2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

If you want to try and get some insight into the mentality of road racers, take a look at the films "Road" and "Closer to the Edge". Both are documentary-style films following big names in the sport. They make it very clear the riders know what they are up against and choose to do it anyway. The Dunlop story (Road) is especially moving.

I couldn't do it. But I love that they can and do. It is regrettable when people are killed and injured, but that is the risk they take. The same goes for marshals and spectators - they are there because it is the spectacle that it is, risks and all.

You can do anything you want. Just as long as it doesn't get you killed. You can't lose sight of the concept you have to live long enough to have grandkids to tell stories to.

But if you don't do anything exciting, those will be very boring stories!

These guys are nothing but a bunch of adrenalin junkies getting their ultimate fix.

lol - this gave me a flashback to watching the latest "point break" on the plane a couple weeks ago. Only worth watching if you're in a captive situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back