2016 Isle of Man TT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: CT8
The bad part about the street racing is when you take an innocent with you. Going t=down the road at 150 and running head on to the big Oak tree oh well that is the risk you take . Killing another because of you risk is bad news. The numbers don't matter.

Was always my mantra when I was driving poorly (really well in my mind) in my early 20s...always alone, and always (I thought) with the safety of others in mind...it wasn't.
Yes in the early 20's I was INVINCIBLE a force of nature almost!. Thankfully I didn't kill any one else and think the only reason I am alive now is a miracle from above.

It's about bedtime here on the IOM. For the hand-wringers, and MSB's (Morally Superior Beings), yes Motorcycle racing is dangerous. Especially on a closed-to-traffic public road, as the Mountain Course is. The competitors are very well aware of this.

No one gets out of this life alive. We are all going to die. The question is: What kind of life do you want to live?

Some go through life afraid of their own shadow. Afraid to do anything they perceive as risky. Then they die from a stroke, or some other cause they didn't see coming.

As an example: My best friend was a Police Officer, and he also rode Motorcycles. Both arguably dangerous to ones long-term health. One night he passed away in his sleep, at the age of 35. Leaving behind his then 5 year old Son. An autopsy was performed, and no definitive cause of death was found.

NO ONE knows how much time we have, so make the most of it. If you have people depending on you, make arrangements for them before it's too late.

Lastly, RIP to Paul Shoesmith and Dwight Beare. Condolences to their family and friends.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Lastly, RIP to Paul Shoesmith and Dwight Beare. Condolences to their family and friends.

Look at the bright side. At least this year they came in just under the 2.5 deaths per race average. Assuming one wants to call that a bright side.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: hpb
People crash and die in motor racing, that's just a fact of life. It's sad, but it happens, and the participants know the risks.

While that's true, it doesn't mean you have to up the risk by racing on streets designed for 50 KPH, instead of tracks where the potential for a fatal accident is far less. Look at how many riders have died in Moto GP bike racing on F1 circuits, as opposed to how many have died, or been seriously injured in the Isle Of Man. There have been over 270 recorded competitor deaths in the Isle of Man since 1910. That's an average of over 2.5 deaths per race. That's not ridiculous. It's completely insane.

Hey, no arguments from me, street racing is hugely dangerous, but it's great to watch! Would I race there? [censored] no!! But I take my hat off to the people who do, they've got my utmost respect for taking on the challenge. In this modern, sanitised society we live in, it's awesome that the health and safety nannies haven't put a stop to such events.

My Michael Dunlop shirt should be arriving sometime this week. Hopefully he gets something from the purchase, I always try to buy team merchandise when I know they benefit from it.

Always sad to hear of a shining star extinguished.

But you can't always eliminate all risks. And these are big boys who know what they are attempting.

Isle of Man is some of the best stuff I have watched...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
But you can't always eliminate all risks.

This is true. But you can minimize them. Most all forms of motor racing have made huge strives ahead in the area of safety. Just look at how deadly Formula 1 used to be in the 70's. Drivers burned alive in their cars. Track personnel hit by race cars. Safety crews taking forever to reach an accident. Then not having proper equipment when they do.

All the tracks have improved as well. Large run off areas have been provided. Safety crews positioned everywhere. And cars that are the safest ever manufactured. Even the most recent fatality, Jules Bianchi was preventable, and measures were immediately taken to prevent it from ever happening again. Before him the last F1 death was Senna over 20 years before.

Now look at the Isle Of Man. It gets more dangerous every year, because the speeds keep increasing every year as the bikes become faster. Putting hay bales in front of a brick wall isn't going to do anything when the rider slams into it well over 100 MPH. As always, speed doesn't kill. It's the sudden stop. And there are just too many places around that "course" for that to happen.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
But you can't always eliminate all risks.

This is true. But you can minimize them. Most all forms of motor racing have made huge strives ahead in the area of safety. Just look at how deadly Formula 1 used to be in the 70's. Drivers burned alive in their cars. Track personnel hit by race cars. Safety crews taking forever to reach an accident. Then not having proper equipment when they do.

All the tracks have improved as well. Large run off areas have been provided. Safety crews positioned everywhere. And cars that are the safest ever manufactured. Even the most recent fatality, Jules Bianchi was preventable, and measures were immediately taken to prevent it from ever happening again. Before him the last F1 death was Senna over 20 years before.

Now look at the Isle Of Man. It gets more dangerous every year, because the speeds keep increasing every year as the bikes become faster. Putting hay bales in front of a brick wall isn't going to do anything when the rider slams into it well over 100 MPH. As always, speed doesn't kill. It's the sudden stop. And there are just too many places around that "course" for that to happen.

It is their choice to race, and there's no real prize money. It seems like there's no real opposition to it continuing either so why not let people race? If no one enters or watches the race anymore it won't exist either but it seems to have a decent following.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
It is their choice to race, and there's no real prize money. It seems like there's no real opposition to it continuing either so why not let people race? If no one enters or watches the race anymore it won't exist either but it seems to have a decent following.

I'm not saying the race should be stopped. If these fools want to risk their lives for nothing, I don't think anyone should stand in their way....... Or too close to the track, for that matter.

I'm not saying the race should be stopped. If these fools want to risk their lives for nothing, I don't think anyone should stand in their way....... Or too close to the track, for that matter.

I wouldn't call them fools.

Taking extreme physical, life threatening risk for all but zero reward, sure fits into that category as far as I'm concerned. These guys are nothing but a bunch of adrenalin junkies getting their ultimate fix.

Taking extreme physical, life threatening risk for all but zero reward, sure fits into that category as far as I'm concerned. These guys are nothing but a bunch of adrenalin junkies getting their ultimate fix.

Why do you care? Lots of people do many risky things, and some people are wired differently. In the stone age, these guys would be bringing down the biggest mammoth they could, just because they could. Sounds like you would be trying domesticate crops, so who is the fool? Neither really, just each group thinks the other is crazy.

Why do you care? Lots of people do many risky things, and some people are wired differently. In the stone age, these guys would be bringing down the biggest mammoth they could, just because they could. Sounds like you would be trying domesticate crops, so who is the fool? Neither really, just each group thinks the other is crazy.

I don't. Why are you being so defensive? And what's with the ridiculous analogies? "Stone age Mammoth's"? "Domesticated crops"?...... Look, I don't care what these guys do, or how many manage to kill themselves in the process of doing it. If they think so little of life that they wish to risk it for nothing but the thrill, go for it. People enjoy watching others take foolish chances. Look at how many paid to watch Evel Knievel break most every bone in his body. They sure didn't go to witness his "skill". This is no different.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
My Michael Dunlop shirt should be arriving sometime this week. Hopefully he gets something from the purchase, I always try to buy team merchandise when I know they benefit from it.

Are you a Dunlop fan, or a BMW fan? (Or maybe both!).

Another day in the books.

I do get a kick out of MSB's that bloviate and pontificate endlessly about how others should live their lives. Then when asked why they care, they claim they don't...

Originally Posted By: hpb
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Are you a Dunlop fan, or a BMW fan? (Or maybe both!).

Dunlop fan no matter who he rides for. Same as I am a Valentino Rossi fan no matter who he rides for. Even though my family is a Ford family, I am a Tony Stewart fan and my favorite IndyCar driver, Charlie Kimball, drives a Chevy powered Dallara.

Was bummed to hear that Dunlop had a rough day today, retiring from one race and being DQ'd from another for a technical infringement.

As a fan I know that any race I see could result in serious injury or death. All the competitors know that as well. Steps are taken to mitigate as many risks as possible, but all cannot be seen or prevented. I was at Las Vegas Speedway when Dan Wheldon was killed, it was a completely heart wrenching experience for everyone there. Charlie Kimball's mom was sitting a couple rows back and was frantic until someone saw him walking around the medical center.

Cool, I'm the same with Rossi too, it wouldn't matter if he turned up on a Vespa, I'd be cheering for him! How good was his Catalunya victory the other day? Awesome talent.

Same in V8 Supercars, I follow Craig Lowndes regardless of who he drives for
smile.gif

If you spend your life in an armchair, the stories you tell your grandkids will all be about someone else.

Get out there and do something!

Originally Posted By: Wheel
If you spend your life in an armchair, the stories you tell your grandkids will all be about someone else.

Get out there and do something!

You can do anything you want. Just as long as it doesn't get you killed. You can't lose sight of the concept you have to live long enough to have grandkids to tell stories to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back