2016 Honda Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way better than the previous generation. They finally did away with the dual screen/control knob interface, and got rid of the stupid dash mounted gear selector. Exterior is a little bland, but again, much better than the previous gen.

Last edited:
It is a mix between a CRV and an Odyssey: Not a bad idea since they sell well these ones.

I like it way more than the previous generation for sure.

It is kind of a less practical Odyssey for those who cannot assume driving one (that is a great car BTW).

Max 7 persons (probably better at 6) instead of 8 (more space at 7) in the Odyssey, and probably less interior space inside since it is higher monuted. Looks like an odyssey which pulled up her skirt.

I would take an Odyssey, but for those who prefer a SUV (and they are more and more everyday) or want AWD, they now have a nice looking Pilot for them.

I just looked at the interior pictures. I like the gauge cluster but where is the center armrest? Fold down ones on the seat are cheesy.

The Honda website has a really good amount of exterior and interior pics to look at of the new Pilot.

It does look a bit like an enlarged CR-V from the side. The interior has a few similar features that the new Fit has.

The center armrest? Yes, fold down. I don't think it's cheesy myself. I like the option of having an armrest up or down. Maybe on the older cars these types of armrests were cheesy.

I saw a teaser of the new Ridgeline on the Honda site as well.

Looks like Honda is really upgrading a fairly substantial amount of it's line-up.

They went Q7 and GL450 on the back and CRV/Ody up front. Those 20 in rims look small and really don't fill out the wheel wells.

It'll be interesting to see how this new DI engine performs. Lol @ the Earth Dreams name. The thought of a Honda 9-speed tranny is a little frightening. I wonder if that ECON button finally lets drivers turn off the [censored] VCM system?

Originally Posted By: mclasser
They went Q7 and GL450 on the back and CRV/Ody up front. Those 20 in rims look small and really don't fill out the wheel wells.

It'll be interesting to see how this new DI engine performs. Lol @ the Earth Dreams name. The thought of a Honda 9-speed tranny is a little frightening. I wonder if that ECON button finally lets drivers turn off the [censored] VCM system?

I believe the 9 speed transmission is made by ZF.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Are they sure it's not an Odyssey?

Did they slap the designer when the thing was born?

Yeah, it looks like an Odyssey on platforms
21.gif

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Kind of ugly, especially the interior. Although the push button gear selector looks neat.

It will do well "because it's a Honda" although I'd never trust a 6 or 9 speed from Honda. They did so well with their new 5 speed, only took them like 6 years to fix that one.

6 speed turned out to be relatively flawless transmission in Honda/Acura.

This vehicle will continue to sell very well, my neighborhood adjacent with 35 upscale homes has 7 of the 2008-2014 models in it. A very popular SUV besides Suburban. Not a single Ford/Chrysler or Jeep SUV in the neighborhood.

Looks like a nice bland SUV for someone who doesn't really care about cars and just wants an SUV that's Japanese.

Looks like a Accord Crosstour, CR-V and Odyssey were Frankensteined together. Lower it down about 3" and it would look a lot better.

It looks much better than the current one.

Looks like they even kept the quarter window guy reined in a little...

It manages to be both nondescript and almost instantly recognizable as a Honda... which is strange...

Originally Posted By: glock19
and got rid of the stupid dash mounted gear selector.

And replaced it with a bunch of buttons. Can you still operate it without taking your eyes off the road like you could with a traditional lever?

I suppose you wouldn't be touching most of these buttons unless you were stopped anyway, maybe with the exception of D/S.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: glock19
and got rid of the stupid dash mounted gear selector.

And replaced it with a bunch of buttons. Can you still operate it without taking your eyes off the road like you could with a traditional lever?

I suppose you wouldn't be touching most of these buttons unless you were stopped anyway, maybe with the exception of D/S.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not crazy about the buttons. I would prefer a regular gear selector in the center console or a column shifter but anything is better than the dash mounted one.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Looks like a nice bland SUV for someone who doesn't really care about cars and just wants an SUV that's Japanese.

Reminds me of the Audi Q7 and MB GL class etc. Bland like them others minus the overpriced badge and complexity.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Hmm. I always thought the dash was a good place. Got it out of the way of console storage.

Agreed. What's wrong with a steering mounted selector?

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Hmm. I always thought the dash was a good place. Got it out of the way of console storage.

In theory I agree, maybe if it were smaller. In the Pilot, the shifter is large and sticks out from the dash much too far. It's an eyesore and it gets in the way when trying to use the climate controls.

2013-honda-pilot-touring-4wd-dash.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back