2015 RAM Headlights flickers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just looked it up and if your Dodge uses a 9012 then that's the brightest possible bulb you can already have in there. I would find the cause of the issue and not change the bulb unless it was the issue.

I stereo cap should fix this quite easy, if this flickering is typical of all trucks. Pop in a cheap stereo cap into the headlamp circuit and that should fix the flicker.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
I stereo cap should fix this quite easy, if this flickering is typical of all trucks. Pop in a cheap stereo cap into the headlamp circuit and that should fix the flicker.
What is a stereo cap?

not advisable if the flicker is a result of current-sense function of the bcm. Not sure how the bcm would read that as it would have the ability to backfeed.

plus, caps like that are not typically switched. the in-rush current could play nasty games with whatever is powering the lamps, especially if it's a solid state relay, unless the cap has some sort of in-rush protection to slow-charge.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: Nutshell
I switched to LED's on my 15. Problem solved.

Terrible and stupid idea. Please do not listen to anyone who tries to tell you that you can drop in an LED bulb into a halogen bulb part number and have an upgrade, it's a huge downgrade in every way.

There is a reason that no reputable manufacturers make these parts because they are illegal Chinese toys shaped like automotive parts

One can use LED in a HID housing from what I understand.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Which LED kit did you use?

Auto LED Corp. Phillips chips rated @ 2600 lumens and they work flawlessly. Copper heat sinks (no fans) and they fit under the headlight cover. Plug and play. Had it done is less than an hour (3 beers).

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Terrible and stupid idea. Please do not listen to anyone who tries to tell you that you can drop in an LED bulb into a halogen bulb part number and have an upgrade, it's a huge downgrade in every way.

There is a reason that no reputable manufacturers make these parts because they are illegal Chinese toys shaped like automotive parts

You really need to be better informed before calling something stupid.

@Nutshell

This board is largely comprised of purists who want to see things done the right way. For an LED to work to specification in a halogen housing, the source of light would need to be exactly like a filament - example 1mm wide by 4mm long in exactly the same placement and orientation as the spec bulb, with 360degrees or 180 degrees (depending on bulb type) radiation. It is unlikely the LED or LED array is shaped the same, and therefore unlikely the aim, focus, and often-overlooked distribution are proper.

calling it "Stupid" doesn't really teach anyone much, but technically-speaking the "do-it-properly" crowd will sgree that an LED drop-in won't be a consistently good solution.

Last edited:
Nobody who ever pays good money, for what they have been led to believe is an actual upgrade by some lying conniving marketing department, will ever believe that their money was not well spent.

Simple physics here, No way can a reflector for a halogen bulb take the light from any current HID bulb or LED bulb and properly focus it into a compliant beam which will properly illuminate the road ahead, while not having too much upward stray light which will be blinding to other drivers, and too much foreground light which constricts pupils and compromises distance vision. Good thing they will be using their fog lights in clear weather at highway speeds too.

Automotive safety lighting as a fashion accessory. Ughhhh.

To believe a LED bulb inserted into a halogen housing can do this is simply Delusional, and devoid of all reason, or logic.

But the delusional are often the loudest, and certainly the most indignant, and supremely defensive, as we have already seen and will see again in a post below.

It's actually humorous, in a predictably sad way.

Originally Posted By: meep
@Nutshell

This board is largely comprised of purists who want to see things done the right way. For an LED to work to specification in a halogen housing, the source of light would need to be exactly like a filament - example 1mm wide by 4mm long in exactly the same placement and orientation as the spec bulb, with 360degrees or 180 degrees (depending on bulb type) radiation. It is unlikely the LED or LED array is shaped the same, and therefore unlikely the aim, focus, and often-overlooked distribution are proper.

calling it "Stupid" doesn't really teach anyone much, but technically-speaking the "do-it-properly" crowd will sgree that an LED drop-in won't be a consistently good solution.

I have to say I disagree. While I do agree, the projector style housing is designed for the specified halogen bulb, it does not mean the LED bulb cannot work effectively in this application...as it has for me. These bulbs have been a fantastic upgrade from my stock bulbs and provide and excellent throw of light.

Originally Posted By: meep

not advisable if the flicker is a result of current-sense function of the bcm. Not sure how the bcm would read that as it would have the ability to backfeed.

plus, caps like that are not typically switched. the in-rush current could play nasty games with whatever is powering the lamps, especially if it's a solid state relay, unless the cap has some sort of in-rush protection to slow-charge.

Interesting, do these have current sense function? I believe the BCM should take the load, automotive electronics are tough, but a simple diode would solve this problem. But, if you turn your lights off.... the lights will just slowly dim down to naught.(resistive load) causing the cap to fully discharge.
...but still it would stop the flickering!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back