2015 Odyssey - Most expensive brake service ever...

My nieces 2105 Odyssey EX-L...
April 2022, 133,500K, I installed Element 3 Pads and rotors. Cleaned up everything, lubed, torqued, etc.

April 2023, 159,000, 25,500 miles since service, Wendy complained of a shake, she took it to local Wheel Works (Firestone), they said it was LCA bushings. Took it to a "good" shop in Santa Cruz. This used to be my brother's shop before he got sick from cancer and passed away at 44. I love the place, on the west side of town by the University. They said it was brake shudder which of course surprised me. Mechanic said he did not like the Raybestos E3 brake components. He resurfaced rotors (front and rear), reused E3 front pads and installed new rear pads. $600.
A month or so ago Wendy said the shudder returned at times, primarily on the freeway. There is a windy, hilly highway between here and Santa Cruz through the Santa Cruz Mountain Range.
Based on @The Critic recommendation, I purchased Honda pads (Ebay $65) and Dynamic Friction Geospec rotors (RA, $60 each).
Today, Aug 2023, 169,000, 10,000 miles since resurface rotors, I installed the new parts. I was disappointed with the shop's work. Way over torqued fasteners, too much lube in the sliders as one slider would not fully compress.

Apparently the brakes may be undersized for the minivan? I've installed the Element 3 on several vehicles including my Tundra (pads only) and on a TSX. Maybe the rotors are not up to the task of a heavy van?

Dunno. Should I plan on brakes every 25K? Let's see what happens. The brakes feel pretty good right now. The Honda pad fittment was like buttah... Nice!

Wendy let me know the brakes feel great; she got home through the hills. I have had good results with the E3 brake components. Not sure I will use them again...
Every Honda that I ever owned I could warp the brakes by staring at it wrong. Is it possible that the parts for an odyssey are Similar to accord parts? Could you upgrade to TSX Type S hardware?

Every Honda that I ever owned I could warp the brakes by staring at it wrong. Is it possible that the parts for an odyssey are Similar to accord parts? Could you upgrade to TSX Type S hardware?
I've always used quality parts in brake work; I've never had a problem with Honda/Acura cars. But they have all been sedans. The Oddy is a heavy vehicle and my niece drives hard.
I am hoping that these rotors hold up; we will see. The Honda OE pads have a great feel. My friend @The Critic spec'ed the parts for me to use. I do think the problem is the rotor material quality, size and maybe design. Additionally, I've installed several sets of the Raybestos Element 3 components; I do not think I will use them going forward.

Bottom line; brakes are a critical component.

I've always used quality parts in brake work; I've never had a problem with Honda/Acura cars. But they have all been sedans. The Oddy is a heavy vehicle and my niece drives hard.
I am hoping that these rotors hold up; we will see. The Honda OE pads have a great feel. My friend @The Critic spec'ed the parts for me to use. I do think the problem is the rotor material quality, size and maybe design. Additionally, I've installed several sets of the Raybestos Element 3 components; I do not think I will use them going forward.

Bottom line; brakes are a critical component.
Pads are, I think Mintex, which is basically Textar on budget.
I think newer Hondas are coming with ATE. Not sure whether newer ones also have improved rotor quality.

Bummer, that does sound kind of steep. Is that Highway across the mountain still called Highway 17? I used to live in Capitola and did the mountain pass every day.

Bummer, that does sound kind of steep. Is that Highway across the mountain still called Highway 17? I used to live in Capitola and did the mountain pass every day.
Yes. I live in Los Gatos. There is a lot going on on this side of the hill for Wendy and her girls. She probably drives 17 once a week or so.
Capitola is a little piece of Heaven... She is walking distance from the Village.
1692391003761.jpg

Here's the damage from the winter storms. We are rebuilding.
1692391090664.jpg

Pads are, I think Mintex, which is basically Textar on budget.
I think newer Hondas are coming with ATE. Not sure whether newer ones also have improved rotor quality.
Textar is a great pad; they came on our GS350 F Sport, but were updated to a different pad, Advics, due to a horrible squeal. There really was no other fix, which was disappointing.

I remember 2010’ish Honda paid out a class action on brakes….customers we’re getting 25k on some Accords….

I have been using drilled/slotted rotors and E3 pads for 6+ years and 100k+ miles on my Ody and they have only recently started to shudder. However I would not used the slotted rotors again because they are noisy and rough. I plan to go with Powerstop rotors when the time comes, based on others' suggestions.

Last edited:
Toyota and Honda both. Not sure about Nissan and Koreans, but I don't think it is any different. They are way undersized.
1. It keeps costs down.
2. Less unsprung weight improves mpg.
3. Possibility to use smaller wheels.

They calculate how the majority of drivers use these vans. Going to school, office. Some will tax brakes with mountain driving (me) and aggressive driving (me), but how many % of drivers is that?
That makes sense. Bigger brakes and possibly more expensive materials add up quick at replacement time and I'm sure that scares off buyers from buying another one getting that repair bill. Probably a risky fine line as those that drive sedately likely wouldn't notice and issue, but overdriving and smoking the brakes would show how woefully undersized they are.

Upgrade to rotors that have high carbon content is one if the solutions. It worked for my Sienna.
It is minivan thing and a lotmof manufacturers have this modus operandi in other vehicles. Pilot we have also has junk brakes. Same issue.
What rotors did you switch to? Curious for my next change on my Sienna...

Last edited:
Hwy 17 ain't that bad... This video runs from Santa Cruz (beach town) north on 17 through the Santa Cruz Mountains to Los Gatos and beyond. At 6:20 you can see my exit, Lark Ave.
It is a nice ride unless there's traffic. Or road work. Or tree work. Or whatever.

That makes sense. Bigger brakes and possibly more expensive materials add up quick at replacement time and I'm sure that scares off buyers from buying another one getting that repair bill. Probably a risky fine line as those that drive sedately likely wouldn't notice and issue, but overdriving and smoking the brakes would show how woefully undersized they are.
Actually, the cost is not really a big deal. BMW and VW have high-carbon rotors, and they are cheap. As I mentioned, I used on my BMW ATE rotors (OE supplier for BMW< VW< MB, Porsche, and seems new Honda models) and they made 35,000 miles (possible could do more), including at least 10-12 track days where I used track/racing pads. They never vibrated. In the rear I used Pagid (also OE supplier). Never vibrating issues. Front ATE was $54 a piece.

Textar is a great pad; they came on our GS350 F Sport, but were updated to a different pad, Advics, due to a horrible squeal. There really was no other fix, which was disappointing.
They are trying to balance dust and performance on F models. I have Textar on BMW on the rear for the street, and they do not have any squeal but they do dust as a typical BMW pad. BMW uses Textar on a lot of models, they are super aggressive, no noise, but man do they dust.

Last edited:
I have an 07 odyssey, ran the original factory pads 70k then another 65k on the first set of Honda replacements, and about 65k on the second set of Honda replacements and about 60k on the third set. Might have gone longer this last set but I had time to do it and get it out of the way. Original factory rotors were turned with each set of pads and just came off at 260k. Always seemed to have good stopping power and never had trouble with them warping or wearing faster than expected or feeling like Honda cheapes out on them, maybe it’s an exception though.

drives hard!
Short of dragging calipers or bad lines, I think this is the issue. My wife doesn’t drive hard, and we have pad left at over 90k with a lot of in town and stop and go. I’ve heard of rotor issues with these but we haven’t observed it at all. They may well be undersized if you accelerate to red lights.

Back