2015 Accord Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like all things you have to look at the kind of driving and where the driving actually takes place. On a flat road at 70MPH I can easily get 45 mpg on my 2012 Lincoln/Fusion Hybrid but start driving that same vehicle on I81-I64 from Richmond to Knoxville and you are lucky to average 36mpg on that hybrid. All hills, just constantly up and down them. Really need to look at normal day to day driving for a true look at how the vehicle does but even then, where you live has a huge factor in the mileage as does cold weather, really hurts a hybrid especially if you drive 10 miles or less, lucky to get 30 in that scenario if temp is below 32F and a short commute. All relative!

I bought a 2014 Accord Hybrid in February. I like the car. The gas mileage is incredible. In my mostly rural driving, I have averaged over 50mpg since purchase. It really has no transmission. The gas engine drives a generator which drives the electric motor to around 45 mph. If there is not much load, the gas motor then directly couples to drive the car, by an electric clutch. I have noticed that heavy use of the heat (electric) or air (electric) will lower gas milage. So will driving at night, due to electric demand of the headlights. I guess worst case would be night driving in cold weather. And I don't know how extended periods of interstate driving will affect mileage. I plan a trip to FL next month, so will see then. Oil life monitor now reads 50% with nearly 7000 miles. And no GDI, either. The car doesn't have any belts driving accessories. Everything is electric. I have 0w20 and some new Synthetic Frams for my first oil change. I may do it at 7500, just for the sake of it. And I have learned to drive like an old man, but the car does have plenty of power, for passing.

Last edited:
After changing the oil to Synpower 0w20 with a Fram Ultra, I drove to FL and back, over Christmas. At interstate speeds, or 3-4 mph over the speed limit, the car got in the lower 40's mpg. Lowest mpg tank was from near Savannah to Wytheville VA. 40.5 mpg Not close to my milage during the summer, with mostly rural driving, but at least 10 mpg better than the best I had done in my 2011 Sonata. And I could still walk after the 12 hour ride, so the seats are not too bad. The Sonata seats were very good, too. Might have used a few ounces of oil in 1500 miles. Not sure I had it full to start. Most cars seem to require more oil than specified, after draining on a slant from ramps.

No way to tell. There is no tachometer. No extra gauges at all other than fuel and battery charge indicators. Welcome to the computer age. The engine is 2 liter and has variable valve timing. If I have read everything right, at times it is an Atkinson cycle engine and other times it is not. When it locks up into direct drive you can feel a slight "shift". No more obtrusive than a gear change on most automatics. I did note that the car spent very little time on battery power at 70mph +.

Can you put a scangauge II in it? That would give you all kinds of information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back