2014-15 NFL Playoffs Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Belichick shows up at the Silly Bowl it will be a circus. Can you imagine if that game last Sunday was close like 3 points? The NFL and WWE are the same. Money has made it a crooked waste of time. IMHO

I have been doing some thinking about the claim that the Patriots may have cheated in the game against the Colts by under-inflating footballs.

Who decided that the footballs should be inflated to 12.5 to 13.5 lbs? Was it just some powerful person in the NFL that somehow made that decision at some time in history? Was there ever a good, valid reason for the footballs being inflated to that amount?

Aaron Rodgers apparently has large hands and says that he likes the football to be inflated as much as possible. He would like the inflation even higher than 13.5 lbs. Other quarterbacks with smaller hands might want the inflation to be lower than 12.5 lbs. In cold, rainy conditions and especially for running backs apparently it is better if the inflation is less than 12.5 lbs.

So yes somewhere along the line it became official for the inflation to be 12.5 lbs to 13.5 lbs. But really, what is wrong with adjusting the inflation for conditions?

Last edited:
I've been listening to Boston sports radio all day and the local sports writers are rocket [censored] at Belichick.

I feel the same way as a Patriots fan. Why screw around? It's anal retentive Belichick stuff like sending Randy Moss home for being 10min late to practice. He may be a great coach but he's also a mental case.

Rules are rules. End of story.
About 2 years ago, I heard Brady say he likes underinflated balls, his preference, his words.

Also, something interesting: On the Colt's interception, you can see the Colt player's fingers sinking into the ball on close-up stills. (Sorry if someone here already saw that, I haven't read full thread. too long )

Being a Seattle fan was a strange experience on Sunday. After a crummy start to the season the Hawks had been playing pretty well. I was cautiously optimistic. Then Sunday happened and for three quarters my heart was ripped out of my chest watching them get beat up. The Defense was pretty good, but even there, I couldn't believe how much time we were giving Rodgers to throw. Ugh... and the offense... It was just painful.

After the 4th interception, I was done, it was over, I told my wife GB was going to the Superbowl. Then, all the strange plays happened and we won, but it didn't feel like we deserved to win. Somehow, against all odds, we stole the game back! Things like that just don't happen in real life... do they? It was an emotional roller coaster and I feel kinda bad for the GB fans since they went from knowing they were going to the Superbowl to "what just happened"? One thing is for sure, everyone who watched saw a game that will be talked about for years to come!

And then the next game was a dud with probable cheating as well.

But that Green Bay-Seattle game was a great game.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: gman2304
^^^^^I rarely agree with Grampi but he nailed it here.^^^^ Take away Wilsons TD pass in OT and he was pitiful in this game. How many times has a team given up 5 turnovers and still won in an NFC championship game....uh never. The only place they won in this game was the final score but that's the bottom line, they won...and they won on pure unadulterated luck. We'll see if it holds up in two weeks.

Where does that logic stop? If Crosby missed all of his field goals, the Packers don't win.......... Since you can't take those things away, it seems pointless.

Not NFL, but the Buckeyes turned the ball over 4 times to Oregon, and won.

Crosby's FGs were hardly circus-like miracle plays like what SEA pulled off at the end of that game...poor example...

Of course it's a poor example. That was the point. Plays can't be taken away.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
And then the next game was a dud with probable cheating as well.

But that Green Bay-Seattle game was a great game.

Except for the outcome...

I doubt that the lower pressure in those game balls had anything to do with the outcome. 45-7 isn't even remotely close. If it ended 20-17 then I could see people really being upset. But why do it at all? New England is obviously a very good team that doesn't really need that advantage do they?

It looks like the investigation is shifting from the head coach to possibly Tom Brady. Brady is going to be interviewed later today. And the NFL is probably going to talk to the equipment manager of the Patriots.

Officials handle the ball after every play. Eleven of 12 under inflated...and NONE of them noticed?!

I know NFL officiating is pretty bad, but come on!

Ha,ha, Shady Brady and Belicheat just can't quit
crackmeup2.gif

I think the officials noticed at half time, and used properly inflated balls in the second half. I saw Dan Marino on a morning show yesterday and he threw some underinflated balls as well as properly inflated balls, and said he couldn't tell a difference.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: morepwr
I doubt that the lower pressure in those game balls had anything to do with the outcome. 45-7 isn't even remotely close. If it ended 20-17 then I could see people really being upset. But why do it at all? New England is obviously a very good team that doesn't really need that advantage do they?

I don't think they had anything to do with the outcome of this game either...point is, cheating is cheating...

I am not trying to make a big deal about all of this. Actually, I suggested why can the footballs not be adjusted to conditions? Some quarterbacks have huge hands and want the footballs inflated as much as possible, and others have smaller hands and want the footballs not as highly inflated, and running backs benefit from a under inflated football. Weather conditions can affect things also and in rainy, cold weather a under inflated football might be better.

I watched the news conferences and I don't think the head coach of the Patriots had anything to do with the footballs being under-inflated. But I was not as impressed with Tom Brady. And several pro football players have stated that they can tell if a football is over or under inflated. In fact one pro football former quarterback said he paid 7500 dollars to have footballs inflated to the amount he wanted in a Super Bowl game.

I saw a ESPN show where a former quarterback was throwing footballs, over-inflated, inflated to the correct amount, and under-inflated, to a former running back, and both that former quarterback and that former running back could immediately tell which ball was over-inflated, which was inflated to the correct amount, and which was under-inflated. And the Colts linebacker who intercepted a Brady pass could immediately tell the ball was under-inflated.

I think a quarterback would immediately know if a football was noticeably under-inflated.

If the footballs are adjusted one way or the other for each game, one of the teams or specific players could have an advantage. Keep them the same for every game keeps everyone on the same playing field or at least each team knows what to expect.

It is the unexpected that could cause mistakes. A turnover here or there can turn a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back