2014-15 NFL Playoffs Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how long they have been doing it, but there are some reports that a couple of Colts defensive players were saying after the regular season game this season with the Patriots that the Patriots balls were under-inflated. And I have also heard a story that the Ravens warned the Colts about the Patriots.

If 11 footballs were under-inflated and if they were under-inflated to the exact same amount I think that would certainly be evidence that it was deliberate.

This all could tarnish the history of the Patriots. Because the Patriots will be in the NFL history books but I don't think they will want to have all of these accusations of cheating to be following them into the history books.

But the referees were handling the footballs also so how come they did not notice?

And apparently it was not just the Patriots. Because there have been a few other stories of quarterbacks having the footballs inflated to how they wanted them to be.

Solution: Take the footballs away from the teams. The NFL should supply the footballs and all handling of the footballs will be by NFL personnel.

If it is so well known then why didn't the Colts say something during the game or make sure the pressures were checked?

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Solution: Take the footballs away from the teams. The NFL should supply the footballs and all handling of the footballs will be by NFL personnel.

^^^This...the teams should not be responsible for the balls, the refs should be...

Originally Posted By: grampi

^^^This...the teams should not be responsible for the balls, the refs should be...

That would help a lot, but a cheater will always try to cheat. That might make it a little harder that's all.

Why does each team have their own to use?
Just put all the balls in a community bag and use them as needed
Problem solved

The bigger question for me is how will the NFL handle this? They made a stand about off field player conduct. Now you have a team throwing the credibility of the game and league into question. What's worse for the league? A player over zealously disciplining a child, or a cheating scandal? Is a lost draft pick and a fine equal to an indefinite player suspension? Can this year get any worse for the NFL?

Originally Posted By: whip
The bigger question for me is how will the NFL handle this? They made a stand about off field player conduct. Now you have a team throwing the credibility of the game and league into question. What's worse for the league? A player over zealously disciplining a child, or a cheating scandal? Is a lost draft pick and a fine equal to an indefinite player suspension? Can this year get any worse for the NFL?

It has been a terrible year for the NFL, but what's worse is how the league has handled the issues...their decisions always seem to come down to one thing...how much money will their decision cost the league....it's never about just doing the right thing...look at how they're handling this issue...the league is dragging their feet because they don't want this issue to give the league a black eye right before the huge money making SB, so they're going to defer it as long as it takes to get by the SB before they do anything...they are turning the NFL into the WWF...

I think there are even deeper and more severe issues. For example, the NFL Commissioner attended a house party at the home of the Patriot's owner before the game according to what I heard today in the news. And the NFL still had not even talked to Tom Brady according to what Brady said yesterday at his press conference. It does not look to me like the NFL is very serious about investigating all of this.

Which may backfire on them later on and the NFL will lose credibility. I don't think the NFL really wants to lose the credibility of the game, if they really thought long and deeply about it.

No matter who wins the Super Bowl and regardless how great the Patriots look in the NFL history books I really don't think they want cheating accusations to follow them into history. After all, they were already found guilty on the situation involving the NY Jets and they paid fines and lost a draft choice.

Great record or not, if I was the owner of the Patriots I would not want all of these cheating accusations to follow the Patriots into history.

I normally want the AFC Team to win in the Super Bowl. Years ago when the Patriots had a chance at a perfect season but all of that stuff came up with the NY Jets I found myself hoping the NY Giants would win in the Super Bowl. Now I find myself suddenly hoping the Seattle Seahawks win the Super Bowl.

I am really addicted to watching pro football but maybe I will think about that and move on. I find myself liking Minor League Baseball at the stadium and Air Force Academy basketball games more and more. There is too much money in professional sports.

Last edited:
I predict that after the Super Bowl we will go on with our lives and completely forget about this little problem. There will be no *asterisk or continuing stories. It's a minor detail and with people's short attention spans no one really cares after some time has passed.

It is not a minor thing to me. If I ever find out there is serious cheating in the NFL I will never watch another pro football game. Now maybe in this case somebody knew that Brady in bad weather conditions liked somewhat under-inflated footballs. If the Patriot footballs were somewhat under-inflated it gave the Patriots somewhat of an advantage in the first half of the game until the situation was corrected before the second half of the game. And it is certainly true that the Patriots likely would have won this game anyway. Look at the score.

It is sort of like if it was discovered that the Kentucky Derby was rigged (I am using this as an example-I am not saying it is rigged). Would people want to bet on a horse in that race or watch the race if that was true?

I just find myself liking high school and college sports more and more and watching Minor League Baseball at the stadium. I am starting to really enjoy watching Air Force Academy basketball games and maybe baseball games. Professional sports in general turns me off today.

It is not a minor thing to me. If I ever find out there is serious cheating in the NFL I will never watch another pro football game. Now maybe in this case somebody knew that Brady in bad weather conditions liked somewhat under-inflated footballs. If the Patriot footballs were somewhat under-inflated it gave the Patriots somewhat of an advantage in the first half of the game until the situation was corrected before the second half of the game. And it is certainly true that the Patriots likely would have won this game anyway. Look at the score.

It is sort of like if it was discovered that the Kentucky Derby was rigged (I am using this as an example-I am not saying it is rigged). Would people want to bet on a horse in that race or watch the race if that was true?

I just find myself liking high school and college sports more and more and watching Minor League Baseball at the stadium. I am starting to really enjoy watching Air Force Academy basketball games and maybe baseball games. Professional sports in general turns me off today.

Problem is, once you get to the college level and above, all sports are about money...look at all the garbage that goes on with the ranking system in college football and tell me money isn't a factor, and a huge one at that!

One by one I have stopped watching more and more pro sports. Boxing is a violent sport anyway but aside from that everybody knows there is a lot of corruption in boxing. And American professional wrestling is a joke.

Now if a person is somehow in on the fix and stands to make a lot of money, well that would make somebody happy. But somehow even if I knew the fix was in and I knew who was going to win (and I could make money) to me the game no longer has any interest to me. If you know who is going to win the game why play the game?

Now this current situation involving the Patriots may be relatively small potatoes. And judging from the score the Colts were going to lose anyway. And judging from what some other pro football players have said there have been other cases of cheating.

It just leaves me with a bad taste and I should think a professional football team would not want to take a reputation for cheating into the NFL history books.

When the Patriots had that chance of a perfect season but the situation involving the NY Jets came up, suddenly I wanted the NY Giants to win in the Super Bowl. Now I like the Giants anyway. But I am an old time AFL/AFC guy. I LIKED the old AFL. And I usually support the AFC team in the Super Bowl.

Now AGAIN I find myself hoping the Patriots lose in the Super Bowl. And I don't really care much for the Seattle Seahawks. Just a few days ago I was wanting the Patriots to win the Super Bowl.

Now I am not saying that the fix is in when it comes to the Super Bowl. I am just saying I don't like cheating. I realize there is cheating in sports. And there can be consequences. A baseball team decades ago found out about that. And the baseball players found out about the price to be paid.

So maybe pro football becomes the last professional sport that I no longer watch. I can find other things to do on Sundays. I find myself liking Minor League Baseball and Air Force Academy basketball games more and more. Now there could be cheating at those levels also but probably not enough money to interest the powerful people. If the fix is in, I am no longer interested.

ESPN this evening had a superbowl pregame special(yup a whole week early) that preceded the pro bowl. Well well well Tom Jackson, one of the analyst didnt know his mic was on right before a commercial break and was caught saying that the patriots know they cant beat the Seahawks and you can see it.....

So what are y'all predicting?

I'm going to go with my boys and pick Tom Brady to win his 4th ring!

I think the question that needs to asked is what else is team Belecheat up to? No way they are only doctoring footballs.
The NFL has as much credibility as professional wrestling if they do not hit the whole organization hard.

4 Rings for Tom Terrific! 3 Super Bowl MVP titles! Surpassed Montana's 11 TD in SB games; threw for 4 TD and 328 yards. I know it didn't "feel" like Brady threw for 328 but he did. All the excuses in the world from the haters out there don't take away the win of ring #4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back