2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 Superbee- best oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not trying to start anything because I don't know a lot about this yet, But I do know The Chrysler Dealership my son works at will not honor any warranty work on any Chrysler engine that has run Mobil 1 in it.

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
I would skip the M1 0w40, if it is SM. The SL and SN formulas appear(ed) decent just not the SM. If it is SM M1, I would use the PU 0w40 especially if that is what CRYsler wants for warranty

The SM 0w40 never really had any problems and the formula didnt even change when it went to SN.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Nice ride.

Mfg calls for a 0W40 meeting API SM in that 6.4L. You only have a few options available in the US that I know of in 0W40 that are API certified. Many here will say to run Mobil 1. It is really popular and at least was the FF in the SRT vehicles. I am not a M1 fan but it will do the job well and should be easy to find.

I don't see any 0W40 Pennzoil Ultra like the others are talking about but it makes sense as SOPUS is now the FF oil supplier. Ultra would be a good oil if you can find it.

I would recommend Royal Purple API licensed 0W40( is API SM ). That would be my choice of oils. RP is not popular on BITOG but it is EXCELLENT oil and is very popular on auto forums. You also have Redline available to you which is another excellent oil but none of their oils are API certified which matters with warranty.

If you run a 5W40 you have more options.

Now why would you be recommending a sub-standard synthetic like royal purple????
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: TheFatMan
But I do know The Chrysler Dealership my son works at will not honor any warranty work on any Chrysler engine that has run Mobil 1 in it.

As much as I dislike M1 SM formula, I doubt that to be the case. Still funny as heck though. The SN appears to be a better formulation

But I do know The Chrysler Dealership my son works at will not honor any warranty work on any Chrysler engine that has run Mobil 1 in it.

As much as I dislike M1 SM formula, I doubt that to be the case. Still funny as heck though. The SN appears to be a better formulation

All I know is what my boy told me. He is a service manger at the Chrysler Dealership, He said they had to call in for approval to do some engine work on a RAM 2500 with the 5.7 HEMI in it. And Chrysler would not honor the warranty because it had Mobil 1 in it. And I do know the guy with the RAM truck(small town) and he did have to pay out of his pocket to have the rear main seal replaced. To say the least he sold the truck.
Believe what you want.

I am not trying to start anything because I don't know a lot about this yet, But I do know The Chrysler Dealership my son works at will not honor any warranty work on any Chrysler engine that has run Mobil 1 in it.

That's fine, the Chrysler dealership that I do the IT work for stocks Mobil 1 by the skid and is the only oil they use in their vehicles. They have a huge pile of the 0w-40 for the SRT vehicles and the Sprinters.

A small sample of some of their inventory:

M10w40stash.jpg

But don't worry, I'm not trying to start anything either
smirk.gif

Dude, I'm calling [censored] the the MAX here. Lying, fibbing, missing the truth..whatever. Someone is YANKING your/our chain. Dodge/CRYsler had it on the oil caps for a while. Why would they deny warranty work Double standard??? Abuse or neglect sure..Not because some oil was used that would meet the required specs. [censored] .....[censored].. go spread that elsewhere
spankme2.gif
spankme2.gif
spankme2.gif
spankme2.gif
spankme2.gif

Last edited:

All I know is what my boy told me. He is a service manger at the Chrysler Dealership, He said they had to call in for approval to do some engine work on a RAM 2500 with the 5.7 HEMI in it. And Chrysler would not honor the warranty because it had Mobil 1 in it. And I do know the guy with the RAM truck(small town) and he did have to pay out of his pocket to have the rear main seal replaced. To say the least he sold the truck.
Believe what you want.

Perhaps buddy ran the wrong grade of oil in the truck? Even then, they'd have to PROVE the oil caused the failure to deny warranty and would likely involve some legal legwork.

If the owners manual spec's a given grade of oil with an approval required, as long as the oil used carries that approval it doesn't matter who makes it.

I want a person's name that denied the claim and a number to the dealer..if it is true..doubtfully

With respect to the 0w-40, the SM version is what we have up here in Canada still. It is the (more shear prone) PAO version with the -54C pour point and superior cold temp spec's.

I think M1 is AVERAGE at best but EVEN I'm not hat'en on the Mobiles brew that much even Tig and KILL(er) know that..lol

I think M1 is AVERAGE at best but EVEN I'm not hat'en on the Mobiles brew that much even Tig and KILL(er) know that..lol

what would you say is truly the best 0w-40 synthetic for performance?

Believe what you want.

I am sorry I will not buy that for a dollar.

If true your friend should of fought that claim and would of easily won. But this story is not improbable because from my experience with Chrysler service departments have given me the impression that Chrysler franchises have some of the most incompetent service department in my experience.

I want a person's name that denied the claim and a number to the dealer..if it is true..doubtfully

Excuse me but I don't know to much info on this yet but it's the Chrysler dealer in Great Falls MT.

100% bull. Not legal to void warranty just because brand X was used. As long as it meets spec's any brand can be used. This is either someone yanking your chain, you are yanking ours, or there is more to the story than we/you are hearing.

BTW - I have worked dealer service.

Probably the wrong viscosity Mobil 1 used.

That I could understand as the reason to deny warranty work.

That is why I always make sure all my receipts are correct and I always use the approved viscosity.

Paying for an engine replacement when it is truly a manufacturers defect because you used the wrong oil viscosity....

Well they must be very happy about that with the cost of a Hemi probably being very high.

Excuse me but I don't know to much info on this yet but it's the Chrysler dealer in Great Falls MT.

I no what dealership your talking about, and I can 100% believe this dealer would do this. I lived up there when I was in the Air Force stationed at Malmstrom. That dealer should have been closed back when Chrysler was closing all them dealers before fiat. This is the same dealer that told me my wife's 2008 PT Cruiser was made to use 1qt every 800 miles.
This dealership, if you do any work on your own they will try anything to void your warranty. If he for say put 5w30 in it when it called for 5w20 that dealer will void your warranty.

I know a lot of you don't believe this But this is what my friend just told me they got him on with his RAM truck. his owner manual says
Engine Oil Selection
For best performance and maximum protection under all
types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only
recommends engine oils that are API Certified and meet
the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395.

And the Dealer said the oil he used did not meet Chrysler requirements.

That's ridiculous because MS-6395 is basically the equivalent of the current API spec. It's not a demanding specification by any means. Conventional pennzoil along with many others meet this spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back