2011 Sentra 2.0 SL 120k noisy valvetrain ?

New to me unknown maintenance history 120k The valvetrain is noisy especially cold. Is this just a noisy engine? Changed oil to PP 5w20 cause it was on hand noticed no difference spec is 5w30. Thoughts?

Engine has 120k and you used a thinner than spec oil; yup it might be noisier than usual - go back to a 30 weight (HM maybe?) and see how it is.

I just did a quick search, but one source mentioned that the MR20DE engine has mechanical valve lash. I have no idea if lash adjustment is done by replacing cam lifter bucket(s) with the correct the OAL, like a Toyota 2AZ-FE, or if it uses shim under bucket adjustment. Either way involves pulling camshafts if a prior proper clearance check shows the need. There's always the chance it could also be a noisy VVT solenoid. At 120k, either item could be needed.

New to me unknown maintenance history 120k The valvetrain is noisy especially cold. Is this just a noisy engine? Changed oil to PP 5w20 cause it was on hand noticed no difference spec is 5w30. Thoughts?
This car model year should have a MR20DE. Simple inverted bucket DOHC, They are noisy cold.
Also has a likey a worn VVT actuator which can rattle.

I had a QR25 DE design before the 0w20 mods. Std DOHC direct acting with inverted buckets.
VERY noisy cold even when new.

Installing wrong oil grade doesn't help - but shouldn't kill it of the bearing aren't worn excessively.
These are filter sensitive also. I Had a few defective Genuine NISSAN parts filters that I had to pull off early.

Back