2011 Impala. Are the transmissions still garbage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like someone messed them up on the rebuilds, installs. Out of the 4 I have had, I have never had that kind of problem. Granted, I installed shift kits in mine, with an extra cooler, (You should not have bypassed the factory one, should have done it in line)and did the fluid and filter every 30,000 miles. Even my modded supercharged cars did better than that.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
Thank you for the responses guys. It was my wifes car. We got it in early 2010 with 60k on it. The Chevy dealer replaced it with a new unit at 40k (verified it with the dealer service department). We put a new one in it at around 87k at a good trans shop along with a trans cooler. That one went out at 101k. A remanufactured unit replaced that one from a different shop. At 118k it started going out. That's when it went bye bye. Mind you all the lines were replaced along with the radiator the second time. The third the radiator was taken out of the scene by running only a remote cooler. My wife drove it as she does now 55 miles each way all highway, plus trips each year to Florida and such. So the cars she drives get between 35-40k a year. On top of this car my best friend has a 2005 grand prix (non sc) had a trans replaced at 100k. So for me, I will always have a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to these cars.

Are the 2011's the 65 or 60 series transmissions?

Did you know Hondas have bad transmissions? Sorry I had too.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Which transmission did the Impala have from 2000 through 2005 ?

Here you go...
Application list

Updates were made through the run. The 2004 and up had all of them, well that is my understanding.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ls1mike

Here you go...
Application list

Updates were made through the run. The 2004 and up had all of them, well that is my understanding.

I've got over 114,000 miles on my 2000 4T65E and it works fine.
21.gif

Seems like someone messed them up on the rebuilds, installs. Out of the 4 I have had, I have never had that kind of problem. Granted, I installed shift kits in mine, with an extra cooler, (You should not have bypassed the factory one, should have done it in line)and did the fluid and filter every 30,000 miles. Even my modded supercharged cars did better than that.

I agree with you, that was what I did and have always done. I was at my end with that car when I tried it that way the last time.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
Thank you for the responses guys. It was my wifes car. We got it in early 2010 with 60k on it. The Chevy dealer replaced it with a new unit at 40k (verified it with the dealer service department). We put a new one in it at around 87k at a good trans shop along with a trans cooler. That one went out at 101k. A remanufactured unit replaced that one from a different shop. At 118k it started going out. That's when it went bye bye. Mind you all the lines were replaced along with the radiator the second time. The third the radiator was taken out of the scene by running only a remote cooler. My wife drove it as she does now 55 miles each way all highway, plus trips each year to Florida and such. So the cars she drives get between 35-40k a year. On top of this car my best friend has a 2005 grand prix (non sc) had a trans replaced at 100k. So for me, I will always have a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to these cars.

Are the 2011's the 65 or 60 series transmissions?

Did you know Hondas have bad transmissions? Sorry I had too.

Really?!?! lol

At 90K miles my 4T65E would have an intermittent hard shift, usually after coasting (think off ramp) and then accelerating.

It was diagnosed by a trans shop as a defective pressure solenoid. The trans would have to be dropped to replace. Some forum members recommended a shift kit, instead. $50 for the kit has eliminated the problem for the last 200K plus miles.

I don't run it in 3rd gear, and I don't change the fluid/filter every 30K miles. Nothing exceptional, just a transmission that still shifts like new at 295K miles.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Here you go...
Application list

I've got over 114,000 miles on my 2000 4T65E and it works fine.
21.gif

Yep, I had high miles on all my pre-2000 units. GM just fixed a the problems seen and reported in them by 2004. Doesn't mean your won't last, just means things go better.
smile.gif

I kind of hate these cars to be honest, but from 2006 on the trans doesn't seem to be a huge issue. I see plenty with 150K+ miles that are still shifting fine.

They have other issues though. The blend door actuator is a common problem part, and results in a loud and highly obnoxious knocking noise behind the dash. I see a fair number with the CEL on for unknown reasons (nobody cares down here), but running fine, so it could be anything. Many leak oil around the pan, but I have never investigated the actual cause because the owners never care.

Owners not caring is the biggest mechanical problem these cars have. People buy these after their '98 Kia Sephia grenaded the transmission or sent a rod through the block. They take care of it the same way they did the last car, poorly. Usually just oil changes and let everything else go. I frequently see them with NO brake pad meat left, bald tires, improperly closed air filter housing sucking in unfiltered air, oil level left unchecked despite leaking/burning, etc.

Like I said, I kind of hate these cars, but I have to give them credit for taking a licking from bad owners. When you consider how 90%* of them are cared for, they are actually pretty good cars.

*This number based on 90% of them having smashed up/scraped up subframes.

I bought my 2002 Buick Century in January 2003 with 11K on the clock. I changed the OE ATF/filter at 36K using Mobil 1 and LG red. I changed that fluid/filter at 90K once again using Mobil 1 and LG red. When I sold the car at 139K the A/T was shifting like new. I considered the 4T65E one of GM's better engineered pieces (along with their ice cold A/C's)....It was GM's gasket division that needed cleansing (poor I/M gaskets).
Even my 2011 Chevy Cruze can't keep coolant in the car...

My 01 Impala never had trans issues. Bought it new and in the family for 8-9 years. Survived my 20 year old stupid younger self at the time and when sold years ago was running great. Had more problems with the im gaskets and electrical gremlins than anything.

Never heard of trans issues with older or newer ones.

Many people here continue to confuse high volume cars with quality issues only seen in a very small percentage of production.

Since Impalas were sold like hotcakes both to consumers and fleets there are a TREMENDOUS number of them on the roads. The normally have above average reliability and hold up quite well.

Our local sheriff's fleet ov over 200 had (GASP!) better service records than the CVPI's they replaced!

But the sheer numbers mean their will be a lot of issues reported due to age and quantity...

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I kind of hate these cars to be honest, but from 2006 on the trans doesn't seem to be a huge issue. I see plenty with 150K+ miles that are still shifting fine.

They have other issues though. The blend door actuator is a common problem part, and results in a loud and highly obnoxious knocking noise behind the dash. I see a fair number with the CEL on for unknown reasons (nobody cares down here), but running fine, so it could be anything. Many leak oil around the pan, but I have never investigated the actual cause because the owners never care.

I inherited a 2010 Impala when I started dating my wife and the above statements are absolutely true. The 3.5 is a great engine, smooth torque an power. I have drained and refilled the trans once on ours, shifts pretty good still and I think it will last at least 130-150K. Ours has 79K miles on it and it has had the following issues:

- Transmission cooler lines leaking, replaced @ 60K
- Blend door actuator bad, making the clicking noise, replaced @ 50K
- One day my wife came home and the key was stuck in the ignition. The key interlick wouldn't release. Luckily i'm good with wiring and traced it down to he wire that runs from the steering column to the gear selector lever park switch was broken at the connector. re-pinned it and it's been fine since.
- Rear main seal is leaking, have yet to fix that.
- One of the blower fans in the dash is squeaking, yet to be fixed.
- the car warps front rotors every 10-15K miles. I have done 2 brake jobs using expensive and cheap materials, doesn't matter they still warp.
- The airbag service light/message will randomly come on and off. Not storing any codes.

This is my first GM car and has been pretty "interesting" to own. I really like the car and overall it has been pretty reliable. However, out of the 10 cars or so that I have owned, it has also had the most issues and needed the most repairs. Now that I Know about all of this models little quirks I would not but another, there are better cars to be had for the money.

I will also add, I had a 2012 Impala rental with the new drivetrain. While it is the same car it feels put together much better. That 3.6 and 6 speed is a pretty good combo, definitely gets up and goes when you want it to!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Im not sure if its the same transmission, but the 2006-2011 still have junk transmissions. The 2012 got the new 3.6 V6 and a 6 speed transmission. If he wants an Impala go with a 2012.

Junk indeed. My former 3.5L 2006 impala had less than stellar third - fourth shifts forever. It ran hot, I did every speck of maintenance on time. Tranny eventually started slamming when warm. My tranny guy said impalas were his bread and butter, replace and add a specific tranny cooler.

Also the sucker would never hold an alignment. I walked through parking lots and every 06 gen Impala had similar wear. Also the gas fumes purge solenoid went bad commonly. It was a predictably error filled car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back