.2008 Mazda5 oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 47k on my 2006 Honda Accord V6 and call me careless but I just started doing my own oil changes for the past two and have done 1 ATF Drain and Fill. I haven't kept a unified log or receipts..just bits and pieces everywhere and my power train warranty will go out at 50k and then my extended warranty kicks in (if it has not already for non power train stuff).

All I know is buying a Honda is almost a sure fire anecdote for this kinda nagging warranty maintenance problem..just buy an engine(and transmission too) where 'everything else will fall apart before they do' and you never have this worry. I plan on driving this Honda till it is actually in the ground versus on it. Basically this means, I expect to get 500 to no more then 1000 when I trade it in!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dima
I have a theory on this one. I think they know something about 2.3 I4 engine we don’t, maybe it is not so good?

Maybe it is not so good? I think that engine has a track record that speaks for itself. You'd be hard pressed to find a better 4cyl.

Originally Posted By: teaelle

btw i don't recommend extended OCI on this 2.3L engine as the engine generates a lot of heat, with dino oil on 5k OCI the oil is pretty beaten up with smell and watery, and the oil filter looks in pretty bad shape when u take it out, and the rubber ring gasket is nasty when u take it out, be sure to change that along with the new filter

it's better to use the Mazda Filter, it's twice as much as the Purolator Pure One but it works well

Do you have any proof to back-up your claims. You are the first person I've seen to report this kind of information on the 2.3L. In fact, even the UOA's I've seen in the past (including my own), don't support your claim.

I agree with the posters in this thread that warn about keeping receipts and records. Even deciding to use my own trusted mechanic instead of the dealer has caused by enough anxiety about the extended warranty (6 years) to make me keep meticulous records. I keep:

- receipts showing which oil was purchased (Mobil 1 10W-30)
- receipts from Toyota dealer showing purchase of Toyota oil filter and Toyota T-IV ATF
- factory log book filled in showing date and mileage of service (every 6 months or 10000 KM)
- independent workshop receipt showing rego, date, mileage and exactly what was done. This includes the brand and type of fluids and highlighting the use of Toyota T-IV ATF and oil filter

Hopefully nothing will go wrong but if it does, why give the dealer an excuse to renig? I treat the warranty like a contract and meet all conditions.

Last edited:
dealers will do whatever they can to avoid having to pay. the easiest thing to blame is oil. I have a friend that had his '00 saturn SC2 engine blow (I never saw it, I don't know if it thru a rod or seized) but it was covered by the extended warranty. 6 months later, it happens AGAIN (they replaced his previous engine w/ a used one). he didn't change his own oil, but had receipts for them. they wouldn't cover it, said there was no oil in the engine. well, of course, when it blew it gave it all up! they blame him for not checking his oil. he said how could a 'new' engine lose it's oil a few weeks after an oil change?
anyway, he's upside down w/ this car so we put another engine in it, running fine.
point is, I don't trust dealers or warranty companies. I sold cars for a few months some time ago, so I REALLY don't trust them. I would think that for a failure, they need to PROVE the oil was the cause of the problem, but you may need to get a lawyer on your side, because you know they will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back