2007 Jeep Wrangler reliability vs TJ

Hi guys, wondering about the first year wrangler.

All things being equal, did they have any really standout issues?

I had an 05 TJ and it was solid as a rock.

Im looking at one with just over 100k miles.

Ryan

The 4.0 will drive better than the 3.8 in my opinion and is probably a bit more durable, but the 3.8 can be long lived and handle some abuse. Not a huge fan of the 42RLE trans. I'd look at a 12+ to get the 3.6 personally. I love the 3.6 in my JLU.

Thanks guys! The one positive is the 6 speed manual. The autos i think were always pretty solid

The 3.8 is a fairly reliable and easy to work on engine, it just doesn't have much going for it. No better fuel mileage than the 4.0L, less low-end torque, doesn't sound all that great, and most of them burn tons of oil, I mean like a quart every 1000 miles especially the early ones.

Thanks guys. I ended up knowing the owner, as does my family. He told me it isnt an oil burner and I trust him given the familes opinions of him. Hes also cut me a decent deal and its rust free.

I may take a look

Buddy of mine has one with 37“ tires and armor, DD daily. The 3.8 lugs all that around with not much power, and not much fuss. It’s been deal reliable. With 37” tires, 6th gear never sees action, at all. He is also super easy on it, on the clutch, and doesn’t get in a hurry. It’s done Moab, it’s been out west a few times. It lives.

I had a 3.8 in a minivan, and had no issues with it. I’d probably prefer the 3.6, but it is more complicated. My 3.8 used very little oil. I also had the 3.3 version, which did use less oil, such as, none at all. I liked my 3.8. It seemed a little rowdier than the 3.3.

id give it a look, theyre good jeeps.

If a 3.6L Wrangler isn't in the budget, I'd save up for one. That was a rough decade for Jeep.

The last good engine in a Wrangler was the 4.0 after that pure crap when Fiat took over. I thought Diamler was going to be bad, but Fiat trashed reliability the breed. Europeans build nothing but compromise.

I had a 1997 TJ with the 2.5L and 5mt. It was a hard top with a/c. In the 40k or so miles I owned it, the only issue I ever had was broken exhaust manifold bolts.

Back