2005 Subaru Forester XT 5spd Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
On MPG my guess is around 21-23MPG with it. Not sure if the shape gives it less MPG vs our same year Legacy GT wagon. My wife averages 22.5 in winter and 24 in summer with 05 Legacy turbo 5mt.

The '05 XT's will go like stink. Really quick cars, and an ultimate sleeper to humiliate some sporty cars that are considered fast.

6524d1182100438-real-forester-xt-ads-not-subaru2.jpg

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
According to Fuelly an expedition should average 13 mpg in mixed driving.

What year? What engine? 2WD or 4WD? Mine is a 2002 5.4L 2V 4x4 with tow and off-road package and tips the scales at north of 6K.

A 2002 2WD 4.6L is rated 14/19
A 2002 4WD 5.6L is rated 11/15

I get higher than 15 highway with it but I'm betting we are more around the 10Mpg mark in town.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
The '05 XT's will go like stink. Really quick cars, and an ultimate sleeper to humiliate some sporty cars that are considered fast.

Now that's a good ad!

Congrats on the ride. Very cool cars.

You will appreciate it in the snow/rain and on the beach. Solid cars. Fwiw, I've found Subaru Extra S works best in the MT. I have Mobil 1 75w90 in the rear diff. MaxLife power steering fluid eliminated squeaking from the PS. Another good MT fluid is BG Ultraguard 75w90. It's a PAO lube. Surprisingly good.

I don't think you can get a 5sp MT in an XT in the US.

We had heavy rain the last few days and the traction was awesome, even with worn winter tires. I think the WRX will be my next car. I think AWD is great for people that see 4 seasons and even more beneficial for heavy winters. Can't beat it.

We had near 70 inches of snow this year which is much higher than average. I tested the AWD is every situation I could come up with. Never got stuck.

The 5spd has the 50/50 torque split with the more simple viscous coupling AWD. I wish the XT here came in a 5spd.

Originally Posted By: buster

The 5spd has the 50/50 torque split with the more simple viscous coupling AWD. I wish the XT here came in a 5spd.

The new one ones no 2009+. However 2004-2007 Subaru XT was available with 5mt.

Another tid bit of the potential of your car with mods, (I love this video clip STI>Forester STI and the reviewer also):

0-60 in 5.3 seconds is faster than Honda S2000 at 5.4 seconds with a launch RPM at around 4500-5000.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

0-60 in 5.3 seconds is faster than Honda S2000 at 5.4 seconds with a launch RPM at around 4500-5000.

Well that's interesting, I was unaware of that when we made the purchase, LOL!! The car felt reasonably strong but I didn't realize it was quite that quick. Go figure
21.gif
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Well that's interesting, I was unaware of that when we made the purchase, LOL!! The car felt reasonably strong but I didn't realize it was quite that quick. Go figure
21.gif
grin.gif

Reality of that figure is revving motor to 4000RPM and dropping clutch. Our LGT has a similar figure(0-60 5.3) but a rolling start for 5-60 jumps to 6.8 seconds.

The enjoyment of that motor though is at speed and being able to at 4000RPM and then flooring it. The car flies. Thankfully no garbage automatics that don't do well with this motor's power curve.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

The new one ones no 2009+. However 2004-2007 Subaru XT was available with 5mt.

Another tid bit of the potential of your car with mods, (I love this video clip STI>Forester STI and the reviewer also):

Cool video. And reviewer. I'd let her shift my stick any day.

I'd probably use M1 0w40 in the XT. I'm using that in mine now and it's the non turbo. Runs great on it.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Reality of that figure is revving motor to 4000RPM and dropping clutch. Our LGT has a similar figure(0-60 5.3) but a rolling start for 5-60 jumps to 6.8 seconds.

The enjoyment of that motor though is at speed and being able to at 4000RPM and then flooring it. The car flies. Thankfully no garbage automatics that don't do well with this motor's power curve.

My S2000 is similar, starting from 0 MPH to 60 MPH at idle it jumps to high 6 seconds.

The S2000 2.2L engine has no torque below 3k, I need to keep the engine above 3.5-4k to get decent acceleration. Above 5k it accelerates very well. Just like bike, you need to keep the engine RPM at the top 35-40% to get good acceleration.

I realize that the M5 isn't intended as a drag racer, but what will it do in a standing start run to sixty or the ton?
Bet it won't beat the Subie to sixty, although it probably would to a hundred mph.

Getting all the acceleration out of the XT might be considered abusive, but even without the aggressive clutch drop it's still quick. I remember reading reviews on it in motorcycle trend and car and driver.

Getting the best times out of almost any car would be considered abusive and is something nobody over the age of twenty does with their own iron.

I'd probably use M1 0w40 in the XT. I'm using that in mine now and it's the non turbo. Runs great on it.

That's exactly what I intend on using. And I have lots of it
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back