2005 Pontiac GTO LS2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Firehawk409
NSS?

I believe the last word on that one is Sherlock, because tig suggests nothing other than M1 for any and every application.

So my GTO does have an oil life monitor. The light popped up today. So going by when the previous owner changed it and the miles I drove that puts it at around 4500miles. Is that about the norm for this monitor?

Okay hate to bring this post back up, but I got a question. So far it seems the consensus is that I can use any 5w30 oil and be good. My question is if I use amsoil 30 SSO and get the filter that is good for 25k what would I be realistically looking at for oil intervals? Lots of mixed driving/turn on turn off. I could come close to doing around 20k a year if my driving stays like this.

I also use this in the civic so it would be good to have one stash for both cars.

With this nice ride and that yearly mileage, I would err on the side of caution.

To me 20k a year with amsoil filter = 2 OC and one filter per year.

Originally Posted By: biodiesel
NSS?

I believe the last word on that one is Sherlock, because tig suggests nothing other than M1 for any and every application.

+1

NSS?

100% on target

Nice Car BTW-I love the LS engine family-just sold a Z with the LS6-felt like it would keep revving till the moon, redline be darned

Originally Posted By: steve20
NSS?

100% on target

Nice Car BTW-I love the LS engine family-just sold a Z with the LS6-felt like it would keep revving till the moon, redline be darned

What year??

NSS?

100% on target

Yeah the GTO rev limiter is set at 6500 and it comes to [censored] quick and it doenst feel like it lost any power at that point. On the hawk I can hear when it gets close to 6k. Even after the cam swap It revs faster but right at 6k I can hear/feel it losing steam. Old LT1 is a stout motor and has done me right for the past 14years but man oh man this LS2 is making me feel why I even dealt with an LT1 for so long.

NSS?

100% on target

Yeah the GTO rev limiter is set at 6500 and it comes to [censored] quick and it doenst feel like it lost any power at that point. On the hawk I can hear when it gets close to 6k. Even after the cam swap It revs faster but right at 6k I can hear/feel it losing steam. Old LT1 is a stout motor and has done me right for the past 14years but man oh man this LS2 is making me feel why I even dealt with an LT1 for so long.

Where do you have the LT1's rev limiter set??

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

bolt ons=6200 shift at 6k

Then i put a nitrous kit on it and didnt have a soft touch limiter. So i set it at 6800. In case something went wrong and it over revved I'd rather go high then for stock fuel shutoff to kick in. Nitrous with no fuel is pretty much an automatic BOOM. Over revving has a better chance of living to see another day. I kept it at 6800 with the cam and still shift at around 6k.

bolt ons=6200 shift at 6k

Then i put a nitrous kit on it and didnt have a soft touch limiter. So i set it at 6800. In case something went wrong and it over revved I'd rather go high then for stock fuel shutoff to kick in. Nitrous with no fuel is pretty much an automatic BOOM. Over revving has a better chance of living to see another day. I kept it at 6800 with the cam and still shift at around 6k.

UNDERSTOOD!!
thumbsup2.gif

Nice car. Almost bought one. Got the Stang instead (brand new compared to used). Everytime I see one I wondered what could have been, (I'm happy, though).

I stayed door to door with one (intake/tune/some exhaust and a shifter). He was surprised, but I figured that he just couldn't drive, lol.

Congrats!

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
I stayed door to door with one (intake/tune/some exhaust and a shifter). He was surprised, but I figured that he just couldn't drive, lol.

They are very tricky cars to drive well. Even the car mags were all over the place with their tests. Skinny tires don't help from a stop.

Originally Posted By: cchase

They are very tricky cars to drive well. Even the car mags were all over the place with their tests. Skinny tires don't help from a stop.

...and he is also ~ what, at least 300 lbs. lighter than the modern Goats??

Originally Posted By: cchase

...and he is also ~ what, at least 300 lbs. lighter than the modern Goats??

The weight on the new gen "muscle cars" is really out of hand (Charger/Challenger, Camaro). At least the Mustang is still relatively light.

A properly driven 04-06 GTO should handily beat an 07 Mustang, even one with a tune. It's probably 10% heavier but it also has about 33% more power. Take the 5.0 Mustang though and I think the GTO would get walked.

Congrats!

That's not too surprising considering the LS1 versions only make 50 more hp at the crank and weigh 200lbs more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back