2005 Kia Sedona - Brand of Oil/Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I checked with the dealer today and inquired about a transmission oil cooler and it's not offered. So, if I get one it would have to be a third-party and installed by someone else, which I hope would not screw up my warranty.

Instead of going through all that why don't I just change the tranny fluid more often? Let's say like every 15k? It's easy enough to do.

I just had my keyless entry installed today too! That's a life saver right there.
wink.gif

So far I like the van but again, it's new.. what can I expect? It rides nice, had good power and is quiet. Now only time will tell if it holds up. If it does, I will be thrilled. So far I have not had much luck with cars/vans. Let's hope this time around it's different.

Watch for Hyundai/Kia, Mazda, Toyota, and Nissan to pass Honda in quality soon enough. It's only a matter of time.

I think Toyotas have always been equal or better than Hondas quality wise. Mazda seems to be going in the right direction lately (inspite of Ford being part-owner.) Hyundai/Kia still have a ways to go before they get to Hondas quality level. (MPG-wise they are far behind Honda). Nissan has always made good cars IMO but now that Renault is involved with them I would keep my eyes open.

I have a '05 Sedona EX, my $.02.

My Sedona came with 20 free oil changes, so I've had it changed every 3K at the dealer for the first 9000 miles. At the last change I took 5 qts of Mobil 1 5W30 and let them do it.

Over the 8 months the gas mileage has steadily improved - this cast iron engine has a long break-in period. Gets about 20 mpg all the time, now.

IIRC, the transmission already has an external cooler. The KIA ATX fluid is pricey, but in the long run not that much more than the others, if you can find them. I'll be adding a Magnetech filter on it as soon as my wife will leave it home for a day. We have had zero problems.

quote:

Originally posted by pbm:
Watch for Hyundai/Kia, Mazda, Toyota, and Nissan to pass Honda in quality soon enough. It's only a matter of time.

I think Toyotas have always been equal or better than Hondas quality wise. Mazda seems to be going in the right direction lately (inspite of Ford being part-owner.) Hyundai/Kia still have a ways to go before they get to Hondas quality level. (MPG-wise they are far behind Honda). Nissan has always made good cars IMO but now that Renault is involved with them I would keep my eyes open.

Far behind? I thought Hyundai was in Honda's rear view mirror?

To answer the question.. if i had a Kia Sedona i would do this:

Amsoil, Castrol or Mobil 1 Synthetic
Hyundai/Kia oil filter
Kia ATX Fluid
Kia A/T Filter.

far as i know.. both the V6 and Tranny are Hyundai Engineered.

The 3.5L Hyundai V-6 uses the same iron block that the Mitsubishi 3.5L uses/used, but cast and machined under license by Hyundai. Hyundai designed and builds their own aluminum DOHC heads for their version. The same block used a licensed Mitsubishi designed aluminum SOHC head early on in the Sonata's life. (The original Excell also used licensed Mitsubishi 4-cyl engines for manufacturing convenience until Hyundai ramped up their own engine designs.) When Hyundai came out with the 2.5, and its later offshoot, the 2.7L V-6, it was a totally Hyundai designed and engineered all-aluminum engine. So far as I know, it's been a reliable piece. None of Hyundai's current automatic transmissions are supplied by Mitsubishi. They're totally inhouse designs despite using friction facing material compatible with only genuine SP-III (Mitsubishi-style) ATF. I trust, KiaSedona05, this post meets your strict standards for on-topic responses?

quote:

Originally posted by Korean_redneck:
Amsoil, Castrol or Mobil 1 Synthetic
Hyundai/Kia oil filter
Kia ATX Fluid
Kia A/T Filter

There's no replaceable filter in current Hyundai automatics supplied in the U.S. There's a mesh screen internally, but access can only be accomplished by disassembly of the split two-piece transmission case. If "KIA ATX" is an older KIA fluid, it is NOT authorized service fill for current Hyundai-made automatics. The proper fluid for current ATs in KIA vehicles is only "SP III Automatic Transmission Fluid". When purchased through KIA delaerships, it's labled "KIA" on the bottom of the front bottle label. The KIA part number is: UM010 CH 002. Curiously this is the same part number that Hyundai SP III fluid uses, though it's labled, "Hyundai", on the front label. Mitsubishi "Diamond SP III Automatic Transmission Fluid" is also acceptable, and listed in the respective owner's manuals. These are the ONLY ATFs whose use will be honored for current Hyundai/KIA ATs for basic and powertrain warranty purposes.

your answer:

For 3K OCI, I would use a good OTC 10w-30 in Summer, 5w-30 Winter.

Brand wise would be
1. Pennzoil
2. Havoline
3. Castrol

Now your second OCI, the 7K thingy, would be a synthetic.

1. Mobile 1 10w-30 year round.
2. Amsoil 10w-30 year round.

Filters would be:
1. Genuine Kia/Hyundai
2. Champion Labs Filters
3. Wix
4. Purolator

As for changing tranny fluid, go by the book, keep your reciepts, record the mileage. Use the dealer ATF. After you drive it past the warrenty, use anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back