2005 Kia Sedona - Brand of Oil/Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, this is about my van, not a political debate platform. Although interesting, (well, not really) can we please stick to the topic? All that crap is way over my head anyway! LOL I don't care who is more knowledgable about politics and other countries. You can debate that someplace else eh? (Wink)

Again, by reading earlier posts within this very topic you will indeed learn that I plan to use synthetic oil at 4-5k intervals. Possibly even 6k now that I think about it more. So, with that in mind what "brand" of oil shall I use? I still don't think anyone actually has answered my question. I was given advice on some filters and I appreciate that but what is the best OIL brand for my van? Or, does it really matter as long as it's a quality 5w-20/5w-30 synthetic?

There is no BEST anything.

If you want to waste money on UOAs and test a bunch of brands to see which is better, then do so.

Otherwise ANY boutique or over the counter synthetic oil is good enough. Lately, some have been on sale or rebated/couponed at the local autoparts stores.
Mobil-1 is also well priced at wallyworld and wholesale clubs, and would be my 1st choice due to availabilty and cost. But, during this summer, Castrol/Valvoline/Pennzoil...all had discounted prices due to sales flyer, coupons, or rebates.

Pick any brand and stick with it!

Mobil 1 is what I am leaning towards so far.

I use this in my Honda Civic and it has 115,000 miles with no engine problems so far. Runs like a champ! Too early to tell really but I trust Mobil 1 more than most brands.

*Hyundai hasn't used Mitsubishi automatic transmissions since model year 1994. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Ray H: Rarely do I think you are wrong but I think you are wrong here. My friends 98' Sonata 4 cyl. has the same Mitsubishi designed KM-175 A/T as my 92' 4 cyl. Sonata had. Both were well maintained and both crapped out at approx. 110K. As a wise man once said "Mitsubishi is proof that the Japs aren't perfect". I wouldn't buy a Mitsubishi with an A/T if it was half price. Total J-U-N-K IMHO.

Can someone please clerify one thing for me? Does my 2005 Sedona have a Mitsubishi tranny or a Hyundai?

You all are scaring me here!!

No matter what tranny it has I'm going to be certain I maintain it properly, you can bet on that. It's the least I can do.

Our last van (96' Plymouth Voyager) lasted a little over 100k and was ready for the grave-yard! Piece of junk. It was costing us a car payment or more each month just to maintain it. I hope this Kia is different? Heck, do they even make a vehicle any longer that will last over 100k? I am beginning to wonder... At least my Civic has so far but the tranny sucks. I'll never own another Honda either. The transmissions are horrible. My Civic's transmission (Auto) hasn't worked right since I bought it. Honda claims it's normal. HA! It's the worst performing tranny I've ever known and I've owned many vehicles over my life.

Folks, don't buy a Honda with an Auto transmission. You'll be sorry you did. If you "must" buy a Honda product either get a stick or buy something else. The so-called honda reputation is slowly heading in the wrong direction. The quality is really suffering lately.

Watch for Hyundai/Kia, Mazda, Toyota, and Nissan to pass Honda in quality soon enough. It's only a matter of time.

Now that I vented, back to the topic! LOL Hey, it's my post, I can go a little off topic too sometimes, everyone else did. (Wink)

As someone who has always prided himself in taking good care of his engines/trannys it's pretty hard to believe but EVERY *** car I've ever owned has had transmission problems (except Nissan). Hyundai is the worst offender, if you didn't flush the trans fluid every 3,000 miles good luck hitting 3rd gear. The manuals I've had usually aren't quite as troublesome (Except Suzuki- but I guess that would technically be a GM- and Honda, rebuilt about every 50,000 miles) but the automatics are sXit. With regular, decent maintanence I expect to realistically get over 200k on a car, but the whole "Asian-produced cars are better" myth really makes me sick. Every car company, domestic and foreign, makes good and crap cars, and it's just been my experience that Honda, Mitsu, Daewoo, et al. just don't know how to make a good automatic transmission.

quote:

Originally posted by KiaSedona05:
...At least my Civic has so far but the tranny sucks. I'll never own another Honda either. The transmissions are horrible. My Civic's transmission (Auto) hasn't worked right since I bought it. Honda claims it's normal. HA! It's the worst performing tranny I've ever known and I've owned many vehicles over my life.

Folks, don't buy a Honda with an Auto transmission. You'll be sorry you did. If you "must" buy a Honda product either get a stick or buy something else. The so-called honda reputation is slowly heading in the wrong direction. The quality is really suffering lately...

May I ask what exactly is wrong or you think is wrong with your auto tranny in your Civic? What year is it?

Hyundai/Kia transmissions run HOT.
Add a tranny cooler and refresh the fluid more frequently.
30k flushes will only get you past the warranty period and not much longer.

Some trannies tolerate heat better then others. Those that don't, die early.

It's not that difficult to nstall a tranny cooler and do a drain and fill of the tranny fluid every year. I would do just that and not worry about it.
There will be horror stories about any make or model if you look around hard enough. And there will be some simple tough luck stories.

Congrats on the new van, take care of it (install that cooler, it's a small car tranny in a minivan)) and enjoy it.

Also be vigilant for Factory service manuals on eBAY or on the net. I refuse to buy one from any manufacturer when there is a nice internet grey market.(You can get the CD's or hardcopies if you look hard enough. ...get the CD's. shop around..
http://search.ebay.com/KIA-service-manual_W0QQfromZR8QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQssPageNameZRC0022

A little cross referncing a a couple of bucks gets you mucho info http://search.ebay.com/mitsubishi-f...0QQfromZR8QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQssPageNameZRC0021

Asian,

Let me point you to a link to the very site this issue is described in detail. Here you can read all about the little "tranny" problems. Might I add, it's not just one person having this issue as the post will verify. This is a major issue Honda simply ignores. Someone needs to start a class action suit against them.

Enjoy!

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168274&page=1&pp=15

Hey Asian, if you have a solution to this problem you would make a lot of people happy! Keep me posted ok? Oh yea, if you are in a position where you work on Hondas please forward this to the appropriate parties involved. Maybe someone with some clout can get Honda to "fess up" that their transmissions suck. Do I hear recall?

Thanks

Strange, you lecture us about getting off topic, then you, uh, get off topic. (Wink, wink).

Anyway, I'll give you the answer. You say you want to use a synthetic. Well, try the new Pennzoil Platinum in a 10W-30. PAO-like in performance, but cheaper. About $3.99/qt when on sale at Pep Boys, et al. When their 5W-30 Euro or 5W-40 Euro actually makes to your market, switch to one of those. In the meantime, sign up for the free Pennzoil 10 year/250K mile warranty, which requires filter & oil changes every 4 months/4K miles, which you indicated you wanted to do anyway. Then you can sleep at night. When time comes to sell this bucket, you can transfer the warranty to the new owner. You can do the same thing with sister company Quaker State, and their new Q synthetic and their same warranty. Comes in a 5W-50 visc which is permitted under the manual for Kia's 3.5L.

Bryanccfshr,

Can you provide a link to this tranny cooler you are talking about? Also, is this something dealers install or are they an aftermarket thing? Will it void my warranty?? Can you point me to one for the 2005 Sedona by chance?

And yes, I plan to get a service manual but the 2005 Sedona isn't available unless you purchase it from the manufacturer. At least I can't find one yet. Usually it takes a few years before they are readily available. But, if you find one please let me know!

quote:

Originally posted by jbas:
Strange, you lecture us about getting off topic, then you, uh, get off topic. (Wink, wink).

Anyway, I'll give you the answer. You say you want to use a synthetic. Well, try the new Pennzoil Platinum in a 10W-30. PAO-like in performance, but cheaper. About $3.99/qt when on sale at Pep Boys, et al. When their 5W-30 Euro or 5W-40 Euro actually makes to your market, switch to one of those. In the meantime, sign up for the free Pennzoil 10 year/250K mile warranty, which requires filter & oil changes every 4 months/4K miles, which you indicated you wanted to do anyway. Then you can sleep at night. When time comes to sell this bucket, you can transfer the warranty to the new owner. You can do the same thing with sister company Quaker State, and their new Q synthetic and their same warranty. Comes in a 5W-50 visc which is permitted under the manual for Kia's 3.5L.

How can you prove you changed the oil every 4k? Also, the more I think about it and read into everything the more I am leaning towards like 7k! With a good synthetic you should be ok I hear. BTW, I never plan to sell this Kia. I drive cars until they are towed to a junk yard my friend. LOL

Pennzoil? Hmmmm... I haven't heard too many kind things about this brand. I still like Mobil-1, Valvoline, or another one not mentioned yet... Red Line. But RL is costly and hard to find locally unless it's ordered in. That means $$$.

offtopic.gif
I'm no car whiz or anything but I think the jerking when the tranny in the Civics shift is normal (as in they are meant to do that). My dad's 2000 Nissan Quest does that and even my mom's 2004 Camry does that once in a while. I have a 2004 Civic with an auto and it really hasn't bothered me, or at least not as much as the road noise. Sorry for getting your thread off topic.

You will have to do frequent searches every month or so.. Join an "unofficial" Kia forum a CD will eventually surface.

Now for the cooler. I recomend a stacked plate Hayden. I install my own coolers(least expensive), if you are not certain you want to tackle this project you can ask the dealership if they will install it(most expensive labor) or find a local hand that will do it(moderate cost, more face to face with the actual wrench who does the work for you. .. it is only an hours work for me and I am not exactly fast or highly skilled on the wrenches anymore. You can even have a local Uhaul store install one for you. http://www.uhaul.com/hitches/transmission-cooler.html
Perma cool also has coolers http://www.perma-cool.com/faq/coolers.html#size

You can pick a Hayden up at pep boys. I don't know how the Kia is plubed but if you want to try to install it yourself you need to install the cooler in front of the A/C condensor and route the tubing in series with the factory in radiator cooler. Once you start researching on websites it becomes pretty apparent that you are just splicing it into the flow after the stock radiator cooler. If you live where it stays freezing alot you want to route the plumbing so that the fluid goes through the auxillary cooler first and then returns to the radiator cooler therefore allowing it a chance to warm up properly in winter conditions.. so the plumbing depends on the environment. Here is another articlle so you can weigh if this is something you want to do. http://www.dieselpage.com/art0898hy.htm

This is good http://www.ws6transam.org/transcooler.html

I'd imagine it is a hyundai built tranny being the newer 5-speed and all. It might be kind of hard to figure out unless you can pull some numbers off the tranny itself, and google it to see if you get matches that show them in mistu vehicles.
It should be fine, I don't think you need to change the transmission fluid every 15k, maybe every 25-30k. That's when the color of the fluid in my mom's Ford E150 was no longer bright red.(I doubt it will ever get changed though, it's only because of me the oil gets changed on the thing.[I'm her 19 year-old son])

"How can you prove you changed the oil every 4k? Also, the more I think about it and read into everything the more I am leaning towards like 7k! With a good synthetic you should be ok I hear. BTW, I never plan to sell this Kia. I drive cars until they are towed to a junk yard my friend. LOL
Pennzoil? Hmmmm... I haven't heard too many kind things about this brand."

There has been several threads concerning the new Platinum, although only a few UOAs (I think). It's probably excellent IMHO. The Pennzoil and QS warranties honors DIY oil changes, you just keep receipts, and can use their fine on-line "more miles club" site which records date and mileage of repairs and oil changes, etc. Nice site. But since you have changed your OCI intent - during - this thread to 7M, nevermind. I was trying to supply an answer to the parameters of your original inquiries. G'luck.

quote:

Originally posted by asiancivicmaniac:
offtopic.gif
I'm no car whiz or anything but I think the jerking when the tranny in the Civics shift is normal (as in they are meant to do that).

Well, that's a pretty silly thing for them to do don't you think? VERY annoying and I'll never own another Honda product, period.

I don't think Mitsubishi makes auto transmissions. I believe they have always been made by Aisin. Since Hyundai/Kia and Mitsu use the same special fluid, I assumed Aisin made all of their automatic transmissions.

http://www.aisin-aw.co.jp/en/

BTW is that 3.5 liter engine the same as the Mitsu V6 engines? 24valve SOHC? Three coil blocks for ignition?

155k on my 95 Mitsu V6 with auto tran. Shifts like it was brand new. I tow with it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back