2002 Hyundai Accent GL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time lurker, first time poster...

About a year ago I got an '02 Hyundai Accent from my boss for $1,000. It only had 95K, and I put about $1,000 into it (tires, brakes, rear main seal, plug wires, O2 sensors, etc), and it runs like a champ. I've never been much on auto repair, etc., but figured this was a good opportunity to learn!

I'm up to 110K now, and have been running 5,000 mi OCI, with QSDefy 5w30 and Wix filters. I drive 40 mi round trip/day, with about 60% on interstate, and average 28 mpg.

I haven't taken a look inside the engine to see if there's any sludge, but the oil is always really dark when I change it. Nothing noticeable comes out in the oil, but just wondering if there's anything recommended to get this thing to 200K miles or if I should keep going as is. His daughter drove it during HS and college and probably didn't take the best care of it. Thanks.

My fiance has the same car, similar miles. Hers actually runs pretty well. Engine is noisy, flex pipe seems to leak, trans is a bit harsh, but the thing keeps on going. Her oil is always very dark as well, and I think this is because I have been using HDEO or syn blend to clean it up.

I hate the thing at times, but it just wont die, which is a good thing for her right now. Ice cold air, decent MPG, and it always fires up.

We are gonna drive it into the ground. It needs new plugs soon, which I will do. Also needs a new intermediate exhaust/flex pipe. I'll do the exhaust soon...cheap and needed to pass emissions.

They are not bad cars for how cheap they were/are. I'd say try a HDEO or even some Pennzoil. That will clean it up and keep it running. These engines seem to run better and quieter on something like 10w40...IME.

I'd use Hyundai Filters for the price. (I think just about every Hyundai owner I know says that now... even the ones who don't have a warranty.
As far as oil... in a Accent? Do a M1-EP for 5K then switch to 10K OCI. I'm in a 02 Santa Fe (2.7L V6) and do 5W-30 7.5K M1-EP w/ a Hyundai Filter. That's just me. I don't know the weight for the I4's... but if it calls for a -20 or -30 you could use the M1 Advanced Fuel Economy...

I owned a 2001 Accent and I now have a 2004 Elantra. I would say that more important than the OCI and oil type, I would ensure that the timing belt has been changed. The auto transmissions are also known to be a problem area if neglected. I did 30k mile drain and fills on the transmission and the radiator and had the timing belt done at 60k and 120k and it was one of the most trouble-free cars I've ever owned. I used cheap Super Tech oil and filters almost exclusively with the occasional OEM filter. If you decide you want to go with an OEM filter, they can be had for around $5 each if you buy a 6 or 10 pack on eBay.

Thanks for the replies so far. The timing belt was done at 75k, I believe, so I should have some more life left on this one. I haven't touched the trans or the radiator, so I'll check those out.

One thing I noticed recently is when I start it in the morning the rpms will jump back and forth between 1500 and 1000, almost sort of a sputter, but after 10 seconds or so, it evens out and idles around 1200. Never cuts off or anything, and only does this if it has sat for more than 8-10 hours. Any idea what that could be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back