2012 Hyundai Accent Blown Engine, under 100K miles, on 3K Jiffy Lube conventional changes.

So this one is interesting. My friend's family has a Hyundai Accent with fairly low miles, under 100K, that the father always took to Jiffy Lube for oil changes every 3K miles on the dot. Son mostly drove it, didn't warm it up ever, etc, or likely check oil. But the father was always on the dot with 3K oil changes at Jiffy Lube. I noticed about 2-3 years back at least the car developed a tick and then a knocking noise at startup, of which both the father and son ignored. I suggested perhaps switching to synthetic and seeing if it went away, and checking the timing chain, but I was ignored. To me the knock sounded like a timing chain slap or similar. I didn't notice any big drops/puddles on the ground at their place so it likely wasn't leaking oil, though.

Anyway, a couple weeks ago the son was driving it around in limp mode at 25mph and the mother finally took it in, and blown engine. So the timing chain didn't snap, as it still drove, but admittedly I don't know the actual failure point that occurred. Thankfully Hyundai is replacing the engine under warranty and did ask Jiffy Lube to fax over the oil change history.

This was one of the first Hyundai GDI engines, and I've heard of failures but this is a bit odd to me. Under 100K miles, oil changed often, etc. My father has the 2.4 in his Kia Sportage and it's had 180K miles and sounds great, but we've been mostly good with synthetic oil changes every 5K or so. No picture, but when the valve cover was pulled his mechanic said it looked brand new inside, timing chain still had a lot of tension and wasn't stretched, too. He also has a habit of warming up his cars in the morning, too, for about 2-3 minutes before driving away.

Maybe a bit controversial, but what do you guys think? I'll try to update if they can get me a specific thing like a rod being thrown in cylinder X, or bent valves, etc. But it's a surprising failure and makes me extremely unconfident in bulk conventional oil now, especially in a modern GDI car.

It's unlikely it was due to the oil. Some Hyundai engines just seem to blow. An MD that I worked with had 5 Sonatas in his family. All maintained the same. Four were great. One engine blew and he was fighting with Hyundai to replace it.

It will be hard to say until we have a definitive answer as to what happened. If it were a rod then it wouldn’t have been driven to the dealer.

In my opinion the term “blown engine” gets overused for situations. To me, a blown engine is exactly that. It blew up, threw a rod, broken piston, etc.

Hopefully the OP can follow up once he finds out the exact reason

This is from 2107.

Hyundai Motor Co. and Kia Motors Corp. announced recalls to inspect and, if necessary, replace four-cylinder engine assemblies in as many as 1.2 million U.S. vehicles, the South Korean companies said Friday.
Manufacturing errors in Hyundai’s 2.0- and 2.4-liter “Theta” four-cylinder engines, which both companies use in their vehicles, could cause engine bearings to wear prematurely and lead to an engine stall, according to recall notices posted on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s website Friday.
The problem can lead to a knocking noise and loss of power, and could cause the check-engine and engine oil pressure lights to illuminate, Johnson said.
The U.S. recall covers about 572,000 Hyundai Sonata and Santa Fe Sport vehicles from the 2013-2014 model years made at Hyundai’s plant in Montgomery, Alabama. About 618,000 Kias are affected, including Optima midsize sedans from model years 2011-2014, Sorento crossovers from 2012-2014, and Sportage crossovers from 2011-2013. All the affected vehicles use the four-cylinder “Theta” engine.

It wasn't the oil nor Jiffy Lube, unless they forgot to refill the engine after draining.
One of my co-workers had that very issue, i.e., Jiffy Lube did not refill her oil after they drained her old oil! She drive around for a few miles before the motor seized.

After Jiffy Lube denied responsibility and refused to pay for a new motor, she ended up taking Jiffy Lube to court and brought in the local t.v. camera crews to the Jiffy Lube and interviewed the local owner on live t.v. Only after the judge easily ruled in her favor did Jiffy Lube finally reimburse her for the cost of a new motor.

Ed

That must have failed as well or they just didn’t notice.
That's a good question...I don't know. We'd all certainly think that dash lights would be going nuts, but I don't know what she saw.

Her fight with the Jiffy Lube local owner took several months. He consistently refused to take responsibility so my co-worked felt her only option remaining was to sue him, which she did. Here's in California, the price of her new motor was within the limits of small claims court so she didn't have to go to a Municipal Court.

Ed

Ah, the ol' "I know a guy and you're not going to believe what happened to him" thread.
No first hand info, no reliable data.
Just a "hey, lemme tell you about my friend and Jiffy Lube".

Please come back with first hand information or data.
Thanks.

This is from 2107.

Hyundai Motor Co. and Kia Motors Corp. announced recalls to inspect and, if necessary, replace four-cylinder engine assemblies in as many as 1.2 million U.S. vehicles, the South Korean companies said Friday.
Manufacturing errors in Hyundai’s 2.0- and 2.4-liter “Theta” four-cylinder engines, which both companies use in their vehicles, could cause engine bearings to wear prematurely and lead to an engine stall, according to recall notices posted on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s website Friday.
The problem can lead to a knocking noise and loss of power, and could cause the check-engine and engine oil pressure lights to illuminate, Johnson said.
The U.S. recall covers about 572,000 Hyundai Sonata and Santa Fe Sport vehicles from the 2013-2014 model years made at Hyundai’s plant in Montgomery, Alabama. About 618,000 Kias are affected, including Optima midsize sedans from model years 2011-2014, Sorento crossovers from 2012-2014, and Sportage crossovers from 2011-2013. All the affected vehicles use the four-cylinder “Theta” engine.

The 2012 Accent was not part of that action.

I noticed about 2-3 years back at least the car developed a tick and then a knocking noise at startup, of which both the father and son ignored. I suggested perhaps switching to synthetic and seeing if it went away, and checking the timing chain, but I was ignored. To me the knock sounded like a timing chain slap or similar. I didn't notice any big drops/puddles on the ground at their place so it likely wasn't leaking oil, though.

I have a 2012 Hyundai Accent GLS with over 130,000 miles. That knocking noise you're hearing is most likely the fuel injection pump which is notoriously noisy, especially if the injectors get gunked up and haven't been cleaned out regularly with a product such as Techron.

Aside from that these engines are well known to have a sensitivity to what oil filter is being used. Hyundai put out a fairly well known TSB some years ago which recommended to use Hyundai's OEM oil filter and that filter alone on these engines lest issues occur which are typically preempted by knocking noises that develop. I have not had any issues using Fram filters on my engine but I do know someone who had a bad knock that developed after getting a jobber oil filter put on at a quick lube place. FWIW my opinion of Jiffy Lube filters is that they are among the worst I have ever seen and I would not even think about putting one on a Hyundai engine that is known to be sensitive to oil filter usage.

My engine regularly throws a knock sensor check engine light after 3,000 miles or so on an oil change interval. It usually gets resolved by either changing the oil and filter, running a bottle of fuel injector or fuel system cleaner to the gas tank, or using higher octane fuel such as 91-93 octane, or a combination of any of these things.

I wonder if it was burning oil and not being checked frequently or at all between oil changes and it ran low?
Or the tech could have underfilled it too. Jiffy lubes gonna jiffy lube..

Limp mode, what a douchebag. If my car goes into limp mode, I would pull over and get a tow home. Its meant so that you can continue to safety and shut off the car. And by continue to safety, I mean if in rush hour traffic, you can get safely to the side of the road, if your at an intersection, you can pull to safety. That moron sure did not help anything at all with his irresponsible behavior. Many different things could have caused the failure including. Hard to even speculate. Could be a new tsb came out about an issue, who knows.

Back