2000 Toyota Corolla VE (83K miles) Oil filter help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently running on Mobil 1 Syntec with a Fram extended guard filter. I realize i made a mistake and i need to know which filter to get and how i would go about changing the existing one with the oil already in the engine. I have read the Oil Study and the consensus seems to be on the Purolator Pure One, Mobil 1, and NAPA Gold being high quality and widely available filters. Should i just drive for about 7000 miles and then change the oil and filter or should i attempt to change the filter ASAP. It has only been on the car for about a day, I drove it about 5 minutes after I changed the oil if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help.

-Mario

My call would be drive the miles and then change. Not gonna hurt anything. Next drain just use the others, or whatever filter you like.

I used Fram on my gsxr1100 for 10 year and UOA came back fine. I know Fram is not made "the best" but I never had any issues. I even am running Fram on my lexus with 200 miles to go on an ARX rinse phase.

PS, welcome to BITOG.

I've used Fram filters exclusively for over 35 years wihout a problem. The last objective tests I've seen for oil filters were done by Consumer Reports and they found Fram to be the best. In my view these evaluations you can find on the internet based on someone tearing the filter cover off and subjectively deciding quality are useless.

As I understand it, Fram makes filters for Honda, so you are in good company with your choice.

Quote:

I've used Fram filters exclusively for over 35 years wihout a problem. The last objective tests I've seen for oil filters were done by Consumer Reports and they found Fram to be the best. In my view these evaluations you can find on the internet based on someone tearing the filter cover off and subjectively deciding quality are useless.

As I understand it, Fram makes filters for Honda, so you are in good company with your choice.

Would you be able to get me a link to the CR article, I went to their website but didnt find anything on fram.
To answer the OP question, the only fram i would use is the one that you are using right now. You should be good using that filter.

Fram is OEM approved, use it with confidence. If they were as bad as some people here make them out to be, don't you think Honeywell (parent company) and retailers would be sued into oblivion by the automakers?

I actually have the CR original mag in my basement somewhere... if I could only find it. It is very old though, but I have not seen any objective testing since. The just set up a test bench and circulated oil with dirt in it through the filter to determine removal efficiency, and filter capacity. The Frams did very well, and some others did poorly. I guess it is possible Fram quality has suffered over the years, but I really doubt it.

A super fine filter is a double edged sword. While it may initially remove more fine particles they tend to plug quicker and then the filter can go into bypass.

The CR article in question is from 1987. At that time Fram was rated tops. The problem that people have with Fram is mostly about the cardboard endcaps. Many people use Fram and go over 200K on their cars. I would leave this filter on your Corolla until the next oil change and use something different then.

Quote:

I am currently running on Mobil 1 Syntec with a Fram extended guard filter. I realize i made a mistake and i need to know which filter to get and how i would go about changing the existing one with the oil already in the engine. I have read the Oil Study and the consensus seems to be on the Purolator Pure One, Mobil 1, and NAPA Gold being high quality and widely available filters. Should i just drive for about 7000 miles and then change the oil and filter or should i attempt to change the filter ASAP. It has only been on the car for about a day, I drove it about 5 minutes after I changed the oil if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help.

-Mario

I used fram X2 filters for many years on my honda without any issues...so i dont think you going to have a problem.

Quote:

The CR article in question is from 1987. At that time Fram was rated tops. The problem that people have with Fram is mostly about the cardboard endcaps. Many people use Fram and go over 200K on their cars. I would leave this filter on your Corolla until the next oil change and use something different then.

My memory has not suffered as much as I thought. I would have guessed 1986. I can't say I'm too concerned about cardboard endcaps as the filter is just paper. On my Mazda3 cartridge style filters Fram uses a hard black plastic for end covers and a felt gasket.

So they do have more than cardboard in their shop. I find it hard to believe that Fram with all their experience would mess up something as simple as a filter.

that's a tougher question. I'm conservative and don't believe in UOA's. I think the reasonable number is 5,000 miles for synthetics and 3,000 for conventional.

Quote:

that's a tougher question. I'm conservative and don't believe in UOA's. I think the reasonable number is 5,000 miles for synthetics and 3,000 for conventional.

Wow! thats seems very conservative, considering manufacturers go up to 15K these days. I will do some more research on it and would love some more input. Thanks to all so far.

I may be conservative, but I'm not cheap. I would rather spend my time and $$ on new oil and be sure my engine is safe. The less conservative would likely say 5K on conventional and 7.5 on syn. I don't know of any manufacturers in NA saying 15K. I think the manufacturers only do silly things like that in Europe. If you want to go beyond the 5/7.5K limits you are certainly in UOA territory. Is it really worth the tests at $50 a pop, when you can change the oil for less?

Quote:

I may be conservative, but I'm not cheap. I would rather spend my time and $$ on new oil and be sure my engine is safe. The less conservative would likely say 5K on conventional and 7.5 on syn. I don't know of any manufacturers in NA saying 15K. I think the manufacturers only do silly things like that in Europe. If you want to go beyond the 5/7.5K limits you are certainly in UOA territory. Is it really worth the tests at $50 a pop, when you can change the oil for less?

Yeah, i agree. I used to go 4K with dino oil, but im planning to go about 7K or so this time.

I would not worry about the Fram. Sure it is not the best filter in the world especialy for the money but they work. Millions of people myself included used the atomic orange can for a long time with no problems!Drive it until your next oil change then change it out. It is not worth loseing sleep over!

Wix 51394 is exact replacement, Wix 51396 is the same diameter only it is slightly longer for more capacity. About $6.00 at your better auto suppliers. I go 5,000 miles on my daughters car and oil is NOT even dirty so you could probably go out to 7.000 or so as this paricular engine is easy on the oil. (Please refrain and do not say that color does not indicate oil condition ).

Quote:

Quote:

Why would anyone want to use other than OEM filters? I use Toyota filters in my Corolla and Kluger/Highlander, they are cheap enough and well made.
Roger

Have you seen the new toyota filters(90915-yzzd1 or 3) They dont look too well made. I am talking about it in terms of visual inspection.

http://clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242332

Wow... that's an eye opener right there... I'm not too happy about that build construction for an OEM, too bad I bought a case of those filters... Hmmm maybe I'll sell em off for about $2 a piece and go get some purolators or get a case of Napa Golds.
crazy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back