$20 smartwatch vs Apple SE

The only watch that does bp to my knowledge is are Samsung watch 3+ i think.

The system works in 30 day intervals. Every time you calibrate the watch to another bp cuff, whether manual or automatic medical device. The watch once calibrated, you can take a manual reading anytime you choose. The system is complicated since it assumes you can take the calibration properly, and you have to do it every month, or the feature deactivates.

In regards to smartwatches, if you air gap the device, its fine. If its connected to the internet and your phone...who knows whats data is collected.

Attachments

• IMG_3831.jpg
    IMG_3831.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 11
I thought this was funny. We have a contractor in our house this morning doing some warranty work. My blind dog barking because he smells strangers so I have him in my office with me and the door closed.
This is a first for me, my watch detected his loud barking and warned me. *LOL*
This is a screen shot from my Apple Watch 9 (previous was a watch 7)
incoming-8F72A06B-7A79-4FC5-9024-D16D62B132B3.PNG

I thought this was funny. We have a contractor in our house this morning doing some warranty work. My blind dog barking because he smells strangers so I have him in my office with me and the door closed.
This is a first for me, my watch detected his loud barking and warned me. *LOL*
This is a screen shot from my Apple Watch 9 (previous was a watch 7)
View attachment 200170
I would question that accuracy as I wouldn't believe most dogs can hit 90+ decibels even in a closed environment.

Since you are somewhat impressed with Apple do tell what the deal is with them having to pull/disable blood O2 sensor capability on some watches. I've seen it mentioned they've pretty much copied what another company was doing. Thought that was odd as according to some Apple is the do all/end all that has everything figured out light years ahead of the rest of the pack, bwahaha. Maybe one of these decades they will finally catch up with the Android platform.

How does a watch check blood pressure? Is there a cuff in the wrist band?

Omron was the only Watch Type FDA cleared device for this purpose and I think it has an actual cuff in the wristband.
I see common retailers, Best Buy and Amazon no longer have it.
They do sell it on the website for $500

Most all other devices use some type of algorithm and in some cases might be helpful as long as the user knows not to rely on it and check with a regular blood pressure test device.

I owned a cheap smartwatch and was given as a gift the SE watch. No comparison imo, the SE watch works as advertised and stays paired with an iPhone w/o issue. Opinions vary.

My friend gave me his Apple Watch 6 as he upgraded to whatever the newest one is. I tried it but it was just too small so I sold it. It was I think like 40mm or 38mm or something. I miss it but the size was a problem for my fingers. I think I’m going to ask for one for my birthday this year cause I owned it for 2 days then sold it to my coworker and I miss it honestly lol. If it would have been the next size up I’d have kept it. I looked at the off brand watches at Best Buy tonight just out of curiosity and they didn’t seem near the quality of say an Apple Watch or Samsung Watch or whatever. My mom loves her Galaxy Watch 6 I’m trying my hardest to get them to switch to Apple though lol.

My friend gave me his Apple Watch 6 as he upgraded to whatever the newest one is. I tried it but it was just too small so I sold it. It was I think like 40mm or 38mm or something. I miss it but the size was a problem for my fingers. I think I’m going to ask for one for my birthday this year cause I owned it for 2 days then sold it to my coworker and I miss it honestly lol. If it would have been the next size up I’d have kept it. I looked at the off brand watches at Best Buy tonight just out of curiosity and they didn’t seem near the quality of say an Apple Watch or Samsung Watch or whatever. My mom loves her Galaxy Watch 6 I’m trying my hardest to get them to switch to Apple though lol.
For Apple Watch 6 -
The small "woman's" size watch = 40MM
Large "Mens" size is 44 MM
So I suspect it was the smaller woman's

Watch 7, 8 and 9
Small = 41 MM
Large 45 MM

The difference is large, wife has a 41 to my 45

For Apple Watch 6 -
The small "woman's" size watch = 40MM
Large "Mens" size is 44 MM
So I suspect it was the smaller woman's

Watch 7, 8 and 9
Small = 41 MM
Large 45 MM

The difference is large, wife has a 41 to my 45
Interesting. Didn’t know the sizes based on gender lol. That would also explain why it was rose gold too haha. Now I know so that’s good.

Family member has the Apple Ultra, cost was around $800. My GW5Pro was $300 less and he is far more impressed with what it's capable of compared to his. The 5 Pro is top notch in build quality, materials as the 6 series just does nothing for me. The factory Samsung silicone band with magnetic closure just impresses the hell out of me. Light yrs ahead of any watch band I have ever used. Personally I couldn't tolerate the Micky Mouse look of the Apple watch lineup as well.

Family member has the Apple Ultra, cost was around $800. My GW5Pro was $300 less and he is far more impressed with what it's capable of compared to his. The 5 Pro is top notch in build quality, materials as the 6 series just does nothing for me. The factory Samsung silicone band with magnetic closure just impresses the hell out of me. Light yrs ahead of any watch band I have ever used. Personally I couldn't tolerate the Micky Mouse look of the Apple watch lineup as well.
Some (like me) might be confused by your post. The 6 series you mention I assume is the Samsung 6? You must know Apple is up to series 9 and Apple's series 6 is 3 years or more old.
Choice is good not everyone will like the bulk of the GW5pro.
As far as what it is capable of it would be nice to know wha you are talking about. I actually cant think of anything and not sure how well that would work with an iPhone.

Some (like me) might be confused by your post. The 6 series you mention I assume is the Samsung 6? You must know Apple is up to series 9 and Apple's series 6 is 3 years or more old.
Choice is good not everyone will like the bulk of the GW5pro.
As far as what it is capable of it would be nice to know wha you are talking about. I actually cant think of anything and not sure how well that would work with an iPhone.
Yep the 6 series of Samsung as for my use it's a step or two backwards compared to the 5 Pro. I did mention '6' after saying why I chose the 5 Pro... I do find it rather hilarious that some complain about the 5 Pro being bulky/heavy. Even with a case on it I find it on the smaller/lightweight side. Am used to a G-Shock Rangeman, so the 5 Pro is almost dainty in comparison.

Not sure about older Samsung watch capability, but the Wear OS with mine is quite good. Will do about 80% of what my phone can, which is saying quite a lot. I don't get into the fitness garbage some go on an on about as no watch can tell me how I 'should feel' based on numerical values.

Yep the 6 series of Samsung as for my use it's a step or two backwards compared to the 5 Pro. I did mention '6' after saying why I chose the 5 Pro... I do find it rather hilarious that some complain about the 5 Pro being bulky/heavy. Even with a case on it I find it on the smaller/lightweight side. Am used to a G-Shock Rangeman, so the 5 Pro is almost dainty in comparison.

Not sure about older Samsung watch capability, but the Wear OS with mine is quite good. Will do about 80% of what my phone can, which is saying quite a lot. I don't get into the fitness garbage some go on an on about as no watch can tell me how I 'should feel' based on numerical values.
Having used both watches from ios to wear os, i dont find either to be the bees knees. The smartphone dictates which device you can use primarily. From there the health monitoring is a toss up. Select features I enjoyed like Samsung BP monitoring and in Apple irregular heart rhythm. You can data log to your heart content on both devices, like sleep schedules, night time o2 sats, exercise coaches, ecgs, hr,o2 sats caloric consumption etc etc. You can also take all that data logs, and print them out or send them to your doc (who MAY care about it).

Side note, the ECG function is on demand, single lead, and only detects afib. If you are hoping to replace a 12 lead or detect MIs save your money.

Having used both watches from ios to wear os, i dont find either to be the bees knees. The smartphone dictates which device you can use primarily. From there the health monitoring is a toss up. Select features I enjoyed like Samsung BP monitoring and in Apple irregular heart rhythm. You can data log to your heart content on both devices, like sleep schedules, night time o2 sats, exercise coaches, ecgs, hr,o2 sats caloric consumption etc etc. You can also take all that data logs, and print them out or send them to your doc (who MAY care about it).

Side note, the ECG function is on demand, single lead, and only detects afib. If you are hoping to replace a 12 lead or detect MIs save your money.
Actually have no real world use with the fitness garbage on any device. I DO find it quite useful for on-the-go speech/text translation, texting, e-mail, GPS, weather, etc. My main reason for getting the watch is for the speech/text in a very portable device as it allows rather good communication even being profoundly deaf. MUCH more convenient that keeping a phone in hand.

Not sure what you mean by the phone dictating primary device use as my watch can be tethered to the phone via Bluetooth or use it's own line as a stand alone device completely.

Actually have no real world use with the fitness garbage on any device. I DO find it quite useful for on-the-go speech/text translation, texting, e-mail, GPS, weather, etc. My main reason for getting the watch is for the speech/text in a very portable device as it allows rather good communication even being profoundly deaf. MUCH more convenient that keeping a phone in hand.

Not sure what you mean by the phone dictating primary device use as my watch can be tethered to the phone via Bluetooth or use it's own line as a stand alone device completely.
samsung locks bp monitoring if the device you use is not a samsung. There is a workaround, but for most avg users out of the box no bueno.
apple watches cant be setup without current ios device.

samsung locks bp monitoring if the device you use is not a samsung. There is a workaround, but for most avg users out of the box no bueno.
apple watches cant be setup without current ios device.
I do have a Samsung phone as well, but like I mentioned I have no interest in the health/fitness side of what the watch is capable of. Actually have a quality BP monitor/cuff I'd trust more than any watch. The things people expect a watch to be capable of is a bit much anyway... reminds me of the implanted blood sugar monitors. As if pricking the finger periodically is the end of the world, bwahaha...

Apple is a FDA cleared device as a one lead ECG

The wording "only detects fib" is technically incorrect for others that may not understand it. The Apple Watch will only warn of AFIB.
However being an ECG it will record any irregular heartbeat and since it records your heartbeat which you can show your doctor to investigate further.
So it will record any irregular heart beat that you can show to your doctor but the watch itself software is only programmed to warn of A-Fib which makes sense.

More or less, if you like me wake up in the middle of the night with these strange sensations that you have been trying to explain to your doctor and he "blows it off as nothing" because the ECG in his office shows ok (which many do not know is only a 15 or 30 second snapshot of your heart at the exact time the ECG is being run).... then ...

You can record you own ECGs at the actual time you are feeling it and show him (or make an appointment direct with a cardiologist) and show the recorded ECGs to the doctor from your cell phone, or do what I did and print them out from PDFs AND if you already have a cardiologist also do what I did and messaged with them and the PDFs of the ECGs from the watch.

The watch greatly speeded up my treatment by showing those ECGs ... an alert NP from my cardiologist had me come right in on a day my doctor was out of town. They hooked me up to a 24 (or 48 I forgot) Holter Monitor and confirmed an insane amount of PVCs over night I forgot at this point but was 20,000 I think, including short term v-tach.
Finally because of the watch this lead to an eventual cardiac ablation saving me from possible heart damage, follow ups and just a recent, less than a year ago EchoGram shows a very healthy EF score of 60
and now a regular heartbeat

Last edited:
Apple is a FDA cleared device as a one lead ECG

The wording "only detects fib" is technically incorrect for others that may not understand it. The Apple Watch will only warn of AFIB.
However being an ECG it will record any irregular heartbeat and since it records your heartbeat which you can show your doctor to investigate further.
So it will record any irregular heart beat that you can show to your doctor but the watch itself software is only programmed to warn of A-Fib which makes sense.

More or less, if you like me wake up in the middle of the night with these strange sensations that you have been trying to explain to your doctor and he "blows it off as nothing" because the ECG in his office shows ok (which many do not know is only a 15 or 30 second snapshot of your heart at the exact time the ECG is being run).... then ...

You can record you own ECGs at the actual time you are feeling it and show him (or make an appointment direct with a cardiologist) and show the recorded ECGs to the doctor from your cell phone, or do what I did and print them out from PDFs AND if you already have a cardiologist also do what I did and messaged with them and the PDFs of the ECGs from the watch.

The watch greatly speeded up my treatment by showing those ECGs ... an alert NP from my cardiologist had me come right in on a day my doctor was out of town. They hooked me up to a 24 (or 48 I forgot) Holter Monitor and confirmed an insane amount of PVCs over night I forgot at this point but was 20,000 I think, including short term v-tach.
Finally because of the watch this lead to an eventual cardiac ablation saving me from possible heart damage, follow ups and just a recent, less than a year ago EchoGram shows a very healthy EF score of 60
and now a regular heartbeat
Samsung and Apple have both acquired class 2 clearance from the fda for both the on demand ecg and algorithmic based irregular heart rate rhythm. Cant go wrong either way with having it as a data logger to help out when being your own patient advocate at the doctors office,

Back