2 x E-Core (shocker) , 20k+ Fram, P Classic - Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the inferior fram with 20 to 30 thousand miles held up very well for being a piece of junk.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: Autobahn88
I think that the inferior fram with 20 to 30 thousand miles held up very well for being a piece of junk.
27.gif

Ya I think the photos prove the fiber endcaps hold up pretty well. I'm actually surprised.

The Ecores don't look like most filters that I've subjected to around 3000 miles. What was the time frame on those OCI's?

I do not think that they are junk.

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
Yup, fram and the ecore ST or delco are junk IMO. The purolator is the best of that bunch no question. Try a Pureone they are very well built.

How did that can opener work.Do you have a link to the one you got?

2010_03_06_OF%20039%20%28Large%29.jpg

Keep in mind it won't do filters smaller than 3 inches in diameter. I have 6 Subaru filters I can't open with it, unless I rig something up with larger wheels, or purchase a vice for my workbench.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LNG-77750/

Originally Posted By: expat
I wonder if the Hole was made during manufacture?

I sure hope so!

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Given that oil flows from outwards in, did you find the piece of missing media, or is it sitting in an oil passage, filtering away and slowly plugging up ?

Nowhere to be found. Maybe in the catch can when I drained the oil. Maybe in a passage, maybe on the floor in a factory somewhere
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
The Ecores don't look like most filters that I've subjected to around 3000 miles. What was the time frame on those OCI's?

I do not think that they are junk.

Oct/Nov to first of March ~ 4 months. We bought 4 PF53's at the dealer in the summer. Did the first change in the summer, second in the fall, 3rd a week ago. Every 5k km ~ 3.2k miles. I put them on and off myself.

I agree that it could be a defect. But the 'design' of the ecore center tube allows for ripped media to pass through... a glaring fault. Put a screen backing like the EaO filters, or at a minimal a 'closed' (doesn't have to be metal, could be plastic) center tube to prevent large pieces of media entering the oil system.

Well you convinced me. I was just about to put an ecore on my Grand marquis. I'm headed out right now to get another Motorcraft.

Holy Sunday, Holey hole shot.

Great shots, nice picts. Danke ver postingk.

Maybe the Amsoil filter design team should consult with e-core people, completely solve the EaO Toyota flow issue in a short afternoon.

Yeah, I'm kinda digging any filter with an inner core.

P

A question about the small hole on the Fram: does the hole diameter line up with the hole size in the center tube? Just wondering if the media weakened against a flow hole and went through.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Yeah, I'm kinda digging any filter with an inner core.

Agreed. My beliefs now include the requirement for decent media support, whether it be via a screen or solid center tube, or combination of the two. The ecore design is severely flawed in this respect.

Originally Posted By: OilNerd
A question about the small hole on the Fram: does the hole diameter line up with the hole size in the center tube? Just wondering if the media weakened against a flow hole and went through.

Yes, it lines up perfectly with one of the holes! If you look through the center tube you'll see mild bulges of media trying to push through other holes as well. Only one hole over 20k+ miles is pretty decent all things considered.

Originally Posted By: webfors

Yes, it lines up perfectly with one of the holes! If you look through the center tube you'll see mild bulges of media trying to push through other holes as well. Only one hole over 20k+ miles is pretty decent all things considered.

Thanks. No doubt -- over 20K on a standard OCI filter, I'm surprised it held up that well.

27.gif

Ohhhh you mean this one???

"The Fram with 20k+ miles is impressive really. Other than the pin size hole"

LMAO!!!! get a clue man "held up very well???" LMAO!!
lol.gif

After looking at the filters again, I'm convinced the ecore design is very flawed.

Think of the media ripping this way:

Take a piece of paper and place it on the edge of a table that has a 90 degree edge (meaning, kind of sharp). Then tear the paper along the sharp edge and notice how easy it is.

This is the same concept with the ecore. You have sharp edges throughout the ecore center plastic tube. If you had one in your hands you would notice they are exceptionally sharp. When media flattens over one of these edges it's going to be prone to ripping *easily* IMHO.

If you look at the PF53 that did *not* tear, but did indeed flatten over the center tube... this pic in particular:

2010_03_06_OF%20018%20%28Large%29.jpg

You can see where the media is pressed against the plastic center tube, and you can see the center tube 'edges' that the media is trying to push through. So I have no doubt, under the right circumstances like a cold start, or high RPM, that the other PF53 filter would have ripped a hole also!!

Serious design flaw that was **NOT** well thought out, no matter how many "engineers" thought this through!

Originally Posted By: daman
27.gif

lol.gif

What did you expect from a filter that's been on there for 20K + miles, and a couple of years. Would you really want to run ANY filter for that long? The filter was not designed to go that long. I blame the owner more than the filter. Ofcouse, i don't know if that hole was made at 2K mile mark or 20K. For the time and mileage, I would expect a lot worse.

Originally Posted By: daman
27.gif

lol.gif

What don't you understand about 20k to 30k. What I am saying is a the filter held up quite well for being in that long. Any filter that was left in that long would look like [censored].
18.gif

If you want to go over 5K miles on a change just pony up and buy a K&N, Mobil 1, Napa gold, Pureone. Why take a chance on [censored] from Fram, etc.

HEY! Don't turn my thread into a fram flame war!! I want to keep discussion open about the ecore design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back