2 x E-Core (shocker) , 20k+ Fram, P Classic - Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this the same filter the Accord uses? I'm too lazy to look that up. I still think even the few P1s that have a lower beta at 20 microns still have a higher beta than most any other filter.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Reality is good. Show us some pics of those cartridge filters with large uneven spaces at the seam like this:

2010_03_06_OF%20049%20%28Large%29.jpg

Due to curiosity last night I opened cartridge filter boxes at WM (all Fram) and didn't find a single ONE constructed like the 4 ecores I opened up. All had even pleats and solid bonding of the media ends. I would trust a filter like that too.

The cartridge filter is better than the Ecore's canister element and is not really the same thing. If you look at a Supetech catridge filter, it is better constructed, made in 3 Europe not here, and cost $8.

while the catridge filter might have a plastic center tube and show that plastic tubes can support the filter element it's just not the same thing as ecores and comparisons of performance can't be made between the two.

There has never been any photo of a Purolator or similarly constructed filter (metal end caps and center tube) showing any kind of media blowout.

If anyone has one, post it.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
There has never been any photo of a Purolator or similarly constructed filter (metal end caps and center tube) showing any kind of media blowout.

Well heck no because there built like they SHOULD be.

FWIW, I took a look at the E-Cores I have in my stash.

1 each - Delco PF454
2 each - ST 3614
1 each - ST 3980

The ST filters all show the suspect un-even pleats. The Delco is very evenly spaced.

I have an ST 3614 installed in the Lexus LS400 and an ST 3980 installed in the Lumina. I'm curious to see how they're doing. My filter cutter is on order.

I have one ST 4967 in my stash that I was surprised to discover that it is not an E-Core. I then proceeded to drop it and dent the can.
mad.gif

This thread is a very interesting read.
coffee2.gif
I guess I'm just fascinated by failure.

For the record, I haven't heard from AC Delco or Champ labs since Tuesday when I last talked to them. So I suspect no one really cares about getting their hands on this filter and/or investigating this further.

I think anyone who uses a design that allows this type of failure to happen isn't thinking this through enough.

I'll be sticking to filters with a design that does not allow this type of failure to occur. Pretty simple choice IMHO.

I'll be sticking to filters with a design that does not allow this type of failure to occur. Pretty simple choice IMHO.

yup no brainier there.

Originally Posted By: daman

yup no brainier there.

I have to agree. All those good pics of used ecores doesn't change what we saw in this thread.

32.gif

Is it just me or is the paging of this thread screwed up?

Back on topic....

I changed the oil in the Lexus this afternoon and I replaced the ST 3614 with a Bosch 3330. The car was due for an oil change, blah, blah. OK, I'm paranoid...I admit it.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Are you going to cut the ST 3614 open and report or post pictures? I am not about to panic over one report on the internet. If it is anything to worry about, we should be seeing many more

If your not going to panic why the need for pics? throw your escrap on and run er!

there's probably lots more of these filters failing but how many of the average Joe's open there filters like we do and report it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back