2 sizes, which one to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to change oil in the wifes car today........went to CarQuest and picked up a Red filter. Get home and its a different size.

The engine has landings where the oil filter mounts for 2 different size filters....the one CQ speced, and one that cross refs to a Wix filter that does actually fit. Funny and fortunate thing about the other size is that its the same as my 2 other vehicles.

Filters in question:
Wix 51356 and Wix 51334

The Wix online catalog gives you the 51334 for the default, but if you look at the description for the 51356, it fits Acura 02-08. And when I pulled the filter off that was on there, its a Honda filter the same size as the 51356.

Two questions: should I switch to the larger filter? I didnt do the math to see if there is more surface area.

And.....any qualms about using the other set of "landing" where the bigger filter fits? It looks like the smaller filter has always been used, so the outer ring of the landing is a little bit dirty. Thats mostly why I didnt use the CQ filter at this time.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Use either ..both ..mix ...match ..
21.gif

Yeah I figured as much. I guess Im just more curious than anything as to why Honda/Acura would have 2 filter sizes, and not really tell anyone about it (Wix doesnt show the alternate size)

Might be nice to have every vehicle use the same filter :) Ill just stock up on em and leave em in a pile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back