1999 RANGER 3.0 SYNTHETIC OIL SUGGESTIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a '98 Ranger with the 3.0/5 speed manual. I'm probably not going to tell you what you want to hear, but just run a conventional oil with the filter of your choice for 5K miles, unless it's been previously neglected.
Those oil filters are a real pleasure to change on this make and model, aren't they?

Originally Posted By: AUTOTECH89
I drive as aggressive as possible in every situation

id like to know which brand would give the most longevity.

I would try the 5w-30 version of calm down.

Reading through the thread; jeepers! What a bunch of old fogeys here! If you aint driving 5 over you are a slug to traffic. Posted speed limits are for laden boxtrucks and school zones..
Roads are 50% overburdened - speed up! You inattentive, half awake barcalounging drivers add 1/2 hour to my commute. That's an hour a day for no reason.

Though, you DO have to be gentle on the old Ford or it will implode.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
I've got a '98 Ranger with the 3.0/5 speed manual. I'm probably not going to tell you what you want to hear, but just run a conventional oil with the filter of your choice for 5K miles, unless it's been previously neglected.
Those oil filters are a real pleasure to change on this make and model, aren't they?

LOL YUP, RIGHT ABOVE THE FRICKEN STARTER THAT GETS DRENCHED.

AS FAR AS THE CALM DOWN, BALH BLAH BALH. I DRIVE RESPONSIBLY (NEVER 5 MORE THAN THE SPEED LIMIT AND I GIVE OTHER DRIVERS THEIR SPACE AND USE SIGNALS) BUT IM NOT GONNA BE KEPING IT UNDER X RPM SO I CAN GET X MILEAGE. AND WHO SAYS ITS ACCEPTABLE TO DRIVE MORE AGGRESIVELY WITH A SPORTS CAR THAN SOMETHING NON TYPICAL. ID BE MORE AFRAID OF THE JACKASSES DRIVING THESE OVER 500 HP CARS AND DONT HAVE ACTUAL DRIVING SKILLS.

AS FAR AS THE CALM DOWN, BALH BLAH BALH. I DRIVE RESPONSIBLY (NEVER 5 MORE THAN THE SPEED LIMIT AND I GIVE OTHER DRIVERS THEIR SPACE AND USE SIGNALS) BUT IM NOT GONNA BE KEPING IT UNDER X RPM SO I CAN GET X MILEAGE. AND WHO SAYS ITS ACCEPTABLE TO DRIVE MORE AGGRESIVELY WITH A SPORTS CAR THAN SOMETHING NON TYPICAL. ID BE MORE AFRAID OF THE JACKASSES DRIVING THESE OVER 500 HP CARS AND DONT HAVE ACTUAL DRIVING SKILLS.

Your CAPSLOCK key appears to be stuck and/or broken. I'd look into fixing that.

I drive as aggressive as possible in every situation

I DRIVE RESPONSIBLY (NEVER 5 MORE THAN THE SPEED LIMIT

If you are looking for maximum longevity, I would suggest more Jekyll and less Hyde.

Your responses are inconstant.

Originally Posted By: Hollow

Your CAPSLOCK key appears to be stuck and/or broken. I'd look into fixing that.

CAPS MUST BE THE NEW AND COOL WAY TO ANSWER NOW.

The one I described on page 1 that went 258,000+ was never babied. I ran at least 30K of that off road doing trail surveys in the desert in summer with the A/C on full and turning anywhere from 2,500 to 4,500 for miles at a time in the sand washes ...

Never babied. Pulled a trailer at 65+ up over the Grapevine many times, or out over 58 from Bakersfield to Mojave, winding it all the way. That motor will stand a LOT
laugh.gif

But you can get there just as fast if the motor is happy and running right. Seems that the cam position sensor is critical to the timing and fuel delivery, so if that's off by a smidge, it falls on its face
frown.gif

To add a "boutique" recommendation:

Amsoil XL, 5W-30 or 10W-30 in your climate. It's recommended for 10,000 miles/6 month OCI. I'll be putting in my Dodge Dart 2.0 which loves to rev to 6000 rpm.

I run QSUD 5W30 in my wifes 3.0 in her Freestyle year round not one problem and good labs back from Blackstone
she doesn't drive it hard but 15 miles of suburban commute each way with a good dose of highway on the weekends can be tough on an engine
QSUD has served us well at a reasonable cost

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gene K
It's a Vulcan. The oil that can kill it hasn't been evented yet.

Their is no advantage to anything over Supertech Synthetic at the intervals you want to run in that engine.

This. But anything on sale or rebate will due...

Yep... that 3.0L v6 is well-nigh indestructible. My 95 Ranger ran like a top at 235,000 miles and didn't burn any oil. Everything else fell apart around the engine during the 183,000 miles I drove the truck.

It mostly got a diet of Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic 5w-30 from about 60k through about 180k every 6k, and then from there, a mix of whatever reputable conventional 5w-30 oil was on sale at a 5k interval. (I was in graduate school and could no longer afford synthetic).

Pretty much any modern-day oil is going to do fine- personally, I'd just go with a reputable 5w-30 conventional like PYB, and run 5k-6k intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back