1998 HD Sportster 1200S

Status
Not open for further replies.
A quote from Pioneer74:

"I don't know what your prejudice is against Harley's or their riders, nor do I really care.

You honestly make me wish I would have never found this site or posted a question. Sooner or later your attitude will get you into trouble that your mouth will not be able to talk its way out of. I can only hope I have the chance to be there."

If the nature of my comments make you that uncomfortable and upset, maybe you're sitting a little too close to the fire?

I assume you mean by my "attitude" as being the willingness to tell it like it is? Don't get upset with me. I don't write their scripts.

Since when is reporting one's observations, grounds for thinly veiled threats? Not that I'm surprised to see it. That's usually the last resort of the incompetent when they cannot sufficiently support their side of a debate.....

Wow, first time I've checked this forum in d@mn near 7 years and it looks like it's become one big troll nest.
mad.gif

To the answer the OP's question, I own a '99 1200S (and a '95 Evo as well) & run Mobil1 15W-50 exclusively.

Originally Posted By: cfromc
This is a 50:50 mix of Redline 20W-50 and 20W-60 in my 2004 Road King. The oil was in the engine for a little over 14 months but only had 963 miles on it. I know the sample is not apples-to-apples with the previous Amsoil 20W-50 racing oil but it is what it is. The oil did quiet the engine down vs. the thinner Amsoil and this year I have gone to 100% Redline 20W-60. I used an Amsoil EaO filter.

Boys and girls, with this Redline oil combination, you could easily run a Formula 1 engine at full race speeds for 963 miles and some of you all say it is necessary in an HD engine used to pleasure ride? Is this person saying that a TC88/96 engine has the same demands as a Formula 1 engine?

If this person is only going to ride 963 miles in 14 months, this is absolutely the WRONG oil to use. Havoline 20w-50 would have worked as well or better with that super-short OCI.

Notice? not one negative word about certain bikes or people, just a disagreement in oil decisions......

Well, just another troll's opinion, feel free to bash on demand...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Touringpro
Wow, first time I've checked this forum in d@mn near 7 years and it looks like it's become one big troll nest.
mad.gif

To the answer the OP's question, I own a '99 1200S (and a '95 Evo as well) & run Mobil1 15W-50 exclusively.

Well, that must mean everyone should do as you do, Right? Show us some UOAs that backs up your OPINION versus HDEOs or conventional HD360 20w-50 !

Just because you use it, doesn't mean it is "The Choice"

Originally Posted By: Touringpro

Maybe, there are some new people here that don't walk (think) in lock-step with others of a certain species and are not afraid to disagree with flawed emotional consensus.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zedhed
Here's another:

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
With an air-cooled engine like the Harley V-twin the LAST thing I'd be running is regular Supertech! Go with Mobil 1 V-twin 20W/50 or Redline V-Twin oil (or your choice or synlube). Figure you're only doing 3-5k miles a year - but you're have the best protection out there and the cost will be less $45/year with HD filter (changing once a year that is).

And I stand behind that statement - I would never use SuperTech but used run Castrol GTX in my old Sporter until I found synlubes that worked better.

This site should be a place for people to access information to assist in making sensible decisions for selecting lubrication for their motorcycle(s). Some of us may be way out of line in the eyes of others when we challenge recommendations that appear to be completely unnecessary and grossly expensive for the intended application.

If a person offers sound mechanical advice and recommendations only to be challenged and insulted by a few that have different and often unsupported views, inexperienced people will be left confused or mislead.

If some of you feel you have to run $20.00/litre oil in your bike, by all means do so. However, when you recommend it to others simply because YOU do it, does not make it right.

There are numerous reports by many seasoned motorcyclists who believe that there is no need for excessively expensive "specialty" oils for their motorcycles. Particularly bikes seeing relatively limited service. I'm with them 100% in that regard.

I'm confident that many of the proponents of expensive specialty oils have little or no mechanical experience, as is, in the case of the people I'm exposed to. The fact that they've never lifted a wrench does not seem to diminish their authority when it comes to recommending oil.....

Offering sound advice is one thing, bashing a persons choice of motorcycle is another entirely different thing.

For the record - I do agree that just about any oil will do ok in a HD V-twin. I just prefer synthetic for the EXTRA MARGIN OF SAFETY that is DOES provide.

You guys need to get out and ride. Instead of riding the keyboard and monitor all day put some miles on your bikes, that's if you really have them.

Who cares what you ride or what you lube it with!! Get out and ride and have some fun.

Life is too short to worry and fight over these trivial matters!!

Originally Posted By: boraticus
A quote from Pioneer74:
Since when is reporting one's observations, grounds for thinly veiled threats?

I think you took my statement the wrong way. I'm not threatening you. I could care less what you think about my bike or the oil I've decided to run in it. I'm stating the fact that, if you actually talk to other people like this when not protected by the Internet, that I hop your not able to talk you way out of any physical altercation that is sure to come your way.

Originally Posted By: Pioneer74
A quote from Pioneer74:
Since when is reporting one's observations, grounds for thinly veiled threats?

I think you took my statement the wrong way. I'm not threatening you. I could care less what you think about my bike or the oil I've decided to run in it. I'm stating the fact that, if you actually talk to other people like this when not protected by the Internet, that I hop your not able to talk you way out of any physical altercation that is sure to come your way.

I'm not surprised with your continued implications of impending violence for speaking truthfully. This is typically the way that those who disagree with reality respond.

However, I do thank you for your concern.

Picking up a low mileage 1998 Sportster 1200 Sport. A little over 10k miles. Has had all service done at dealership with HD 20w-50 oil and HD filters. Previous owners informs me that it is due for an oil change.

I would like a better alternative to overspending on a re-badged oil produced by a country with a questionable leader. I don't plan on riding much this year, maybe 3 or 5k, because of a hectic job and finishing my basement.

I guess my questions would be:

1. Do I start a synthetic oil now or keep using Dino?
2. What is a good brand after answering question #1?
3. After answering #1 and #2, what would my OCI be?
4. Can I easily get a filter to fit the bike without having to go to the dealer for it? They tend to be a little expensive.

Thank you in advance!

The manual will state what oil weight and API service category is necessary for your bike. Find an oil that meets those specifications and you are good to go. The label on the front of the bottle is meaningless as it is all marketing. The back of the bottle is where the true information resides. I don't believe in spending $12 a quart on oil when regular dino oil meets the same specs. I don't use supertech because I have a mental hangup with off brand oil. ( I know, it's silly) But you won't find any a uoa on this site that proves supertech is the snake oil many claim it to be. So I pay a few dollars more at each oil change and my mind is at ease. But if running $12 a quart oil because there is a picture of a motorcycle on the label puts your mind at ease, then that's the oil you use.

Last edited:
I'd like to thank the people that have helped me.

To the others, thank you for showing me that this place is more than just oil.

If I was part of the first group I mentioned, I would contact the people that run this site. The people in the second group are ruining it for everybody else.

This is my last post. Good-bye.

Originally Posted By: outshined
You guys need to get out and ride. Instead of riding the keyboard and monitor all day put some miles on your bikes, that's if you really have them.

Who cares what you ride or what you lube it with!! Get out and ride and have some fun.

I can go along with that....

I'd like to thank the people that have helped me.

To the others, thank you for showing me that this place is more than just oil.

If I was part of the first group I mentioned, I would contact the people that run this site. The people in the second group are ruining it for everybody else.

This is my last post. Good-bye.

Only 15 posts and you're gone? Relax, engage your sense of homour and get thicker skin. This is the internet. Take everything with 2 grains of salt and a smile on your face. Life is short.

Originally Posted By: outshined

Best post here! I actually do ride. I ride to work as much as possiblem ride most w/ends and take 1-2 long trips each year. Last year went to Sturgis (RODE the bike from, Texas, no trailering) and Daytona. This year I am going to ride back home (Maryland) in May to visit family/friends and to ride the scenic roads like skyline drive and such. I miss those lovely roads. Then I have a trip planned for Montana in July. That's all I can do this year.

Here's another:

With an air-cooled engine like the Harley V-twin the LAST thing I'd be running is regular Supertech! Go with Mobil 1 V-twin 20W/50 or Redline V-Twin oil (or your choice or synlube). Figure you're only doing 3-5k miles a year - but you're have the best protection out there and the cost will be less $45/year with HD filter (changing once a year that is).

And I stand behind that statement - I would never use SuperTech but used run Castrol GTX in my old Sporter until I found synlubes that worked better.

What don't you like about supertech?

Whoa, here's a UOA from a TC88 engine running Amsoil 20w-50 changed after only 1500 miles ! That's a pretty short OCI for such an excellent PAO oil? HUH? Why's that, do you suppose? Do you think this guy is afraid to trust his oil? Do you think he believes that his engine is just too hard on oil? I just don't know either..... Even the tester commented on the high TBN remaining.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1204517#Post1204517

Yeah but, On this UOA, he did not drain the oil, just pulled a sample. It is stated in a few posts down.

I personally have always used syn in my bikes, especially if they have a shared sump. If running syn gives the OP more confidence and less to worry about, then it is worth the added cost.

Originally Posted By: wolfc70
Whoa, here's a UOA from a TC88 engine running Amsoil 20w-50 changed after only 1500 miles ! That's a pretty short OCI for such an excellent PAO oil? HUH? Why's that, do you suppose? Do you think this guy is afraid to trust his oil? Do you think he believes that his engine is just too hard on oil? I just don't know either..... Even the tester commented on the high TBN remaining.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1204517#Post1204517

Yeah but, On this UOA, he did not drain the oil, just pulled a sample. It is stated in a few posts down.

I personally have always used syn in my bikes, especially if they have a shared sump. If running syn gives the OP more confidence and less to worry about, then it is worth the added cost.

+1

Can't put a price on not worrying.

....those who disagree with reality...

Strange that the misinformed always have a distorted view of reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back