1994 Ninja 250

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 94 Ninja 250 this weekend, and being OC as I am, changed the oil immediately. Put in Suzuki 10w-40 Motorcycle oil, so I don't think the oil is my problem. (Or is it?) I 'got on it' for the first time and got some considerable clutch slip during gear changes, so I'm guessing the clutch plates are worn. It's strange to me that a bike with only 8700 miles on it could have a slipping clutch already, so I guess a bonehead previous owner is to blame. There's plenty of freeplay at the lever and the service manual doesn't mention any available adjustment at the clutch, so worn plates are my only conclusion.

Looks to be about $100 in replacement parts from various online sources, and I'm considering doing the job myself since I have the service manual. If anyone has input with this bike, I'm interested in your experiences!

The clutch should be simple to change and its not uncommon for them to go bad at that mileage according to how the owner treated it. I had one go out on a cbr1k 300 miles after I bought it, 3500 miles.

Anyone here with clutch replacement experience think I'll need to buy this tool, or is it something that can be worked around with some ingenuity? :) I have no idea where I'd find one of these. Doesn't exactly look like a Sears regular stock item

HubHolder1.jpg

HubHolder2.jpg

No ya dont need that tool to replace the plates, that tool is to remove the clutch basket nut, which ya shouldnt need to do unless it was severly notched.

it may be just an age thing with the plates and springs and non use

Last edited:
Like they said, more than likely all you will need is the plates and springs. 2 magnets work good for getting the steels out and dental picks work good for the fibers. I dont know how many the 250 has, they may not be necessary but could make it easier.

Thanks much for the heads up on that guys...I was gonna take the whole thing apart when I don't really need to (unless the plates have notched the clutch housing - and I hope not considering the price for one). So I just want to take it down to the clutch hub, inspect the clutch housing for notches, and install new steels and fibers (there are 9 total). Correct?

I'll probably go ahead and put in a new ball bearing since they're not expensive.

DA springs , Da springs , replace da springs, what ball bearing? the one in the push Rod, it never wears.

and a new gasket

Last edited:
Before you spend all your money, make sure the plates are worn out. Quite often, in older bikes, the clutch springs have lost some tension and the plates have worn some, but may actually have much life in them. The result is a double whammy. The springs have much less force on the plates, the clutch starts to slip.

You can try stronger springs, or, my favorite trick, wrapping steel oxy acet welding rod around a AA battery. As if you were making a tightly wound spring. Cut it into individual "O"s and place them under the springs. I like to weld the tips together. But you don't have to. The spacers you make will be captured by the clutch housing and cannot come out.

I understand this is about the cheezy-est thing imaginable, however it often works wonders, and costs nearly nothing.

Chris

Originally Posted By: CBDFrontier06
Anyone here with clutch replacement experience think I'll need to buy this tool, or is it something that can be worked around with some ingenuity? :) I have no idea where I'd find one of these. Doesn't exactly look like a Sears regular stock item

HubHolder1.jpg

HubHolder2.jpg

Motion Pro or K&L sells that exact tool, I have one.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_ca...Id=41806&mmyId=

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Before you spend all your money, make sure the plates are worn out. Quite often, in older bikes, the clutch springs have lost some tension and the plates have worn some, but may actually have much life in them. The result is a double whammy. The springs have much less force on the plates, the clutch starts to slip.

It's funny that you mention this, because I used a caliper on the discs and they are all dead center in specification...meaning they aren't worn out. I guess it was the springs. Oh well....I guess I bought some peace of mind. I'll keep the old discs and pitch the old springs.

Great little bike you have there...I'm going to be selling my 06 Ninja 250 in the spring (soon I hope) great bike for weekend rides and around town but a little hairy on my 100 mile commute each day lol...I will miss the mpg vs my F4i though

Goose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back