1993 Chevrolet Blazer running thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's idling entirely too rich. It gets a bit better at higher revs, so there could still be another problem but cat is probably all loaded up. I think you've already observed that the engine warms up? I would like to see that the computer is seeing that but without a scan tool that's a little tricky.

The O2 should be at least 0.8 unless HC is below 120. I recommend you replace the oxygen sensor and see if that makes the exhaust stink less.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yonyon
It's idling entirely too rich. It gets a bit better at higher revs, so there could still be another problem but cat is probably all loaded up. I think you've already observed that the engine warms up? I would like to see that the computer is seeing that but without a scan tool that's a little tricky.

The O2 should be at least 0.8 unless HC is below 120. I recommend you replace the oxygen sensor and see if that makes the exhaust stink less.

I also think I should buy this? http://allentown.craigslist.org/pts/4072793768.html

And yes, gas mileage has been entirely too poor.

What do you also think of the "wash the Cat in soapy water " trick?

Your cat (regardless of condition) cannot work properly without a good supply of oxygen. Operating in this condition it will become coated with soot. You must first correct the rich fuel mixture, then clean out the carbon.

To clean it out, drive for at least 15 minutes cruising 30 to 40 MPH then at least 10 minutes cruising at 50MPH or faster. This will burn out the carbon. At that time you can get retested and see if it looks like there's any problem with your cat.

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs

I also think I should buy this? http://allentown.craigslist.org/pts/4072793768.html

Meh. A 24 year old catalytic converter, newer O2 sensor in unknown condition, and a cheapie tailpipe for $70 would be a decent deal if you knew for sure that you need the tailpipe. Do you need the tailpipe?

Originally Posted By: yonyon
Your cat (regardless of condition) cannot work properly without a good supply of oxygen. Operating in this condition it will become coated with soot. You must first correct the rich fuel mixture, then clean out the carbon.

To clean it out, drive for at least 15 minutes cruising 30 to 40 MPH then at least 10 minutes cruising at 50MPH or faster. This will burn out the carbon. At that time you can get retested and see if it looks like there's any problem with your cat.

Meh. A 24 year old catalytic converter, newer O2 sensor in unknown condition, and a cheapie tailpipe for $70 would be a decent deal if you knew for sure that you need the tailpipe. Do you need the tailpipe?

I smell exhaust in the car. Something, somewhere, must be leaking or backing up. I see exhaust out of the back too but could running rich make me smell exhaust? I think the soot is already there, its been like this for awhile. Could it be one of those old pipes? Or.. Not necessarily, do the 02 sensor first thing?

I can buy this with a new-er than mine 02 sensor included, OR just buy the 02 sensor. I am tempted to get the pipes because I was told "my whole exhaust system is [censored] " and that is why I am so keen on these used parts.

To those who asked why it failed. I made a post a few posts up.

It's wearing on me, but you are right.. I like a good fight!

And I can have the shop put on those pieces..

As to the question: I am not "sure" but "I suspect."

If you need a full exhaust system then yes, that one might save you a few dollars. Ask to keep your old cat just in case you need it.

Results: FAIL!

Secondary Emissions - TEST:

Gas Cap = PASS
Tampering = PASS
Visible smoke = PASS
Liquid Leak = PASS
Indicator Light = N/A
Misc. Emissions = PASS

Primary Emission Test performed - TSI - FAIL

Mode: IDLE - FAIL
GAS READING STANDARD
HC ppm 783 220
CO% 7.93 1.20%
CO2% 9.5%
O2% 0.4

Mode: HIGH IDLE - FAIL
GAS READING STANDARD
HC ppm 829 220
CO% 8.05 1.20
co2% 9.1
)2% 1.2

Did they measure your NOx? If it's low you're running too cold.

There's also a chance your bottom end mechanical knock is triggering your knock sensor making it retard timing-- for the worse for your emissions.

It sounds like you're running very rich, and with HC like that I wonder if the cat has been hollowed out or if that is just from the engine dumping fuel.

If this thing has the so-called "spider central injector" those are often pretty terrible.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If this thing has the so-called "spider central injector" those are often pretty terrible.

I put Nail Polish Remover in the tank before the trip. (Acetone.)

Also, I been putting 1oz. Redline in with every fill-up or so.

On the hunch it could be "bad gas" or "no-name gas," I put in $20 of 93-octane BP today.

The light was on for only about 30 seconds highway trip return today.

Should I continue Redline dosing?

As to exhaust system.. if the replacement includes 02 sensor, I think it is worth the money to get it! You? (Since I can believe cat may have been hollowed out maybe by the previous owner, OR one of the previous 4 engines wrecked it. Had water coming out like a faucet on one of the engines.)

And the reason for doing this was.... ?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Acetone!

Acetone!

Oh lordy... let's try again: WHY did you put acetone in your tank?

To remove the nail polish.

Acetone!

Oh lordy... let's try again: WHY did you put acetone in your tank?

crackmeup2.gif

^^^ My exhaust stinks, I can smell it in the car (intermittently) and I dont know why! (Usually at lights)

My Mom says she smelled it constantly, though we had the windows open.

I am really debating getting these new pipes!

Looks like he found some sites suggesting this method to pass emissions (one site I found had someone claiming a 4-1 ratio of gas to acetone was effective !!

It's running extremely rich. Nothing you add to the tank is going to fix that! Something was left disconnected, or the ECU is not the correct one for the engine.

What you smell is unburnt fuel - the high HC level that caused it to fail. That exhaust is going to kill your brain cells!

Originally Posted By: dishdude
It's running extremely rich. Nothing you add to the tank is going to fix that! Something was left disconnected, or the ECU is not the correct one for the engine.

What you smell is unburnt fuel - the high HC level that caused it to fail. That exhaust is going to kill your brain cells!

Start with new 02 sensor, leave CAT alone for now, yes?

Also, guy sold exhaust last night so its no longer available
frown.gif

Techno, did you read this post ?

Originally Posted By: dishdude

High HC is running too rich or incomplete combustion.

I think you need to start with the basics. Still a good chance the donor engine was/is bad, rule that out first

Compression check

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back