1993 Chevrolet Blazer running thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
There was no noise!! No knocky, hollow noise!
Wait...what?!

So you bashed on the starter for a while, then turned the engine over by hand and now the knock is gone?!

Dude, your car is possessed.

I gave this some thought.. It "ticks" more, but the noise was lessened.

I have no idea what that could mean I am just stating what I sort of observed.

Also not sure how turning engine by/at TC could do that. Maybe I am sniffing exhaust fumes too much...

Also. The shop is removing the manifold, to drill the hole, properly. It will now be attached to the exhaust pipe with all three bolts! So should be no more ticktickticktick. Also, should drive better! Maybe even pass inspection!

The cost is $125. They ARE removing manifold. They looked first to see the bolt. They said yes, it has to come off. (Must be the way it was cut. We put this engine in so fast.. Many of these things could have been avoided.)

Downright reasonable!

It will be ready at 6PM tonight.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
No, you just changed it I thought.

Correct again..

Just paranoid about emissions, is all!

If it fails, come back with the report so we can see why it failed and then give tips. Right now anything is a shot in the dark.

You've got new plugs, new wires, fresh oil, and multiple ITUs...you should be good.

If it DOESN'T pass, they have to tell you why. Tell us and we can help you.

Also, I'm not sure if NJ is the same, but in MA if you fail you can get it retested for no additional charge as long as it's within 60 days.

Also, I'm not sure if NJ is the same, but in MA if you fail you can get it retested for no additional charge as long as it's within 60 days.

It's slightly different here. In NJ the initial test is free unless you choose to pay. You can get retested as many times as you like with no time limit so long as you fill out a form and produce a receipt for any parts. You can buy a bottle of fuel injector cleaner, write on the form that you installed it, and show up for reinspection every day except weekends and holidays for a year and they'll do the test again every time at no cost. If you don't like fuel injector cleaner you can say you waved a dead chicken at it and show up with a receipt from Pathmark.

You've got new plugs, new wires, fresh oil, and multiple ITUs...you should be good.

Never did have a car inspected in Mass. I heard the inspection is MUCH more stringent than NJ..

I am about to go over and see if it passed or not! Or if it is still at the shop.

Also. What is the next thing I should do to the Blazer? Let's steer this discussion thataway.

And the bolt is back on the exhaust.

Have not taken it up to highway speed, but it feels a *little* stronger. I can also "see" the exhaust (from who knows how long it sat and engine cools, smoke on start-up - appears to be common Tahoe thing.) Also saw a black liquid like bead of water coming from it.

I do suspect condensation. We will see.

Results: FAIL!

Secondary Emissions - TEST:

Gas Cap = PASS
Tampering = PASS
Visible smoke = PASS
Liquid Leak = PASS
Indicator Light = N/A
Misc. Emissions = PASS

Primary Emission Test performed - TSI - FAIL

Mode: IDLE - FAIL
GAS READING STANDARD
HC ppm 783 220
CO% 7.93 1.20%
CO2% 9.5%
O2% 0.4

Mode: HIGH IDLE - FAIL
GAS READING STANDARD
HC ppm 829 220
CO% 8.05 1.20
co2% 9.1
)2% 1.2

Does your car have a catalytic convertor on it?
Also, what's the age of your ignition components?

I know you said you replaced the plugs, but what condition are the wires, cap, rotor, and ignition coil in?

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Does your car have a catalytic convertor on it?
Also, what's the age of your ignition components?

I know you said you replaced the plugs, but what condition are the wires, cap, rotor, and ignition coil in?

BC.

The plugs are new, and, supposedly, "tight." I trust that they are, even though mechanics are questionable.

The wires are also new, including the coil wire.

I have wanted to replace the actual ignition coil for awhile now..
And the distributor cap and rotor were used from a questionable batch of parts, and could very well be fubar.

I have said many times that it feels like I "can move the center part of the ignition coil by hand."

Not sure if the distributor itself is a tune-up item.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back