‘16 Honda Pilot knocking/ratcheting sound

Help me out guys. I’ve been hearing this knocking/ratcheting kinda noise for quite some time now, but couldn’t really pinpoint the circumstances it occurs at. Looks like on light gas pedal tap (below 1,500 rpm) it becomes apparent, like something is flapping around/knocking. Don’t hear it pressing the gas pedal firmer. No codes, fresh oil, looked at all live parameters and everything is in spec. I think the sound was around for at least 2 yrs, maybe even more

The noise that shuts off at 03 seconds and 23 seconds in the second video?

If yes, that's emissions related and sounds like a fairly normal J Series to me. Mine both do it as well, but they are older and the 'tick' is slower.

This is tensioner noise.

Last edited:
It would be worth checking the tensioner, but if its been going on for +2 years now, that's probably not it. I don't hear a lot there other than fairly normal J series noises. They generally sound way worse on video than they do in real life.

It would be worth checking the tensioner, but if its been going on for +2 years now, that's probably not it. I don't hear a lot there other than fairly normal J series noises. They generally sound way worse on video than they do in real life.
For some reason the sound in subject is a bit muted on video, a lot more evident in person. Pretty much every time I’m tapping on gas pedal to get it to 1,500-1,800. Idling sounds smooth, same while driving..

Yea, I think I hear it. If its not the tensioner, no idea what that might be. I know @The Critic has done a fair few tensioners on later model J Series motors as I recall.

Is there any belt wear showing at all? Exactly what engine do you have? Do you hear it every time you drive and does it go away after a while or constant? Think you said at higher rpms it is not there?

It sounds like either the timing belt tensioner or perhaps the tensioner pulley for the serpentine belt. You might want to remove the serpentine belt and run it for 30 seconds to see if the noise is still present.

Is there any belt wear showing at all? Exactly what engine do you have? Do you hear it every time you drive and does it go away after a while or constant? Think you said at higher rpms it is not there?
It’s J35, 2016 Pilot with 6AT. I can hear it idling when tapping on gas, as well as when I’m outside when my wife is driving off. No noise when driving/accelerating. At least it’s not audible. Also, the noise is not harmonic, not proportional to rpm, and rather erratic, like clattering (if that makes sense).

It’s J35, 2016 Pilot with 6AT. I can hear it idling when tapping on gas, as well as when I’m outside when my wife is driving off. No noise when driving/accelerating. At least it’s not audible. Also, the noise is not harmonic, not proportional to rpm, and rather erratic, like clattering (if that makes sense).
Any other strange things going on or seem to be involved with the noise? Have you noticed the rpm tach activity when this noise is occuring? Have you seen uniform rpm on the tach with no jumping around when this is happening? You said the noise is erratic so is there anything else erratic like the tach? No engine hesitation at any point? What about transmission sluggish or acting strange? What about fuel that you use? Do you put the same or all different types in the Pilot?

Any other strange things going on or seem to be involved with the noise? Have you noticed the rpm tach activity when this noise is occuring? Have you seen uniform rpm on the tach with no jumping around when this is happening? You said the noise is erratic so is there anything else erratic like the tach? No engine hesitation at any point? What about transmission sluggish or acting strange?
Nothing out of ordinary really. The car drives the same as it has been for the past 7yrs since I bought it brand new. Consistent mpg, regular maintenance, had the injectors replaced a couple of years ago under warranty. The only modification I have is S-VCM (VCM muzzler), but i had it only for a year or so, and the sound was present before I got it. No tachometer fluttering, no CEL, nothing. Just this weird sound. I’ve changed the oil yesterday, and collected a sample, so might send it in to see how the metals look like…

I’m approaching 7 years on the timing belt, so might go ahead and change it along with water pump and tensioner, and see if this helps. Or just sell the car and go with something new (which I don’t want to do, but my wife is itching for a new one)..

Nothing out of ordinary really. The car drives the same as it has been for the past 7yrs since I bought it brand new. Consistent mpg, regular maintenance, had the injectors replaced a couple of years ago under warranty. The only modification I have is S-VCM (VCM muzzler), but i had it only for a year or so, and the sound was present before I got it. No tachometer fluttering, no CEL, nothing. Just this weird sound. I’ve changed the oil yesterday, and collected a sample, so might send it in to see how the metals look like…

I’m approaching 7 years on the timing belt, so might go ahead and change it along with water pump and tensioner, and see if this helps. Or just sell the car and go with something new (which I don’t want to do, but my wife is itching for a new one)..
Its very hard to pin point noises especially when there are no apparent issues found. I asked about the fuel because diffferent fuels can cause minor engine knocking at times. Every Honda we have owned since the 1990s (4) at this time have each had their own quirky noises Yet they all run so quiet when idled you really can not tell they are running. The good thing is out of all of them very minimal if any "repair work" has ever been needed outside normal predictive/preventive maintenance. Should be real interesting to see if that sound goes away if you do that regular maintenance and keep it a while longer.

Thank you for posting this. If understand correctly, the issue is common for all J engine (Ody, RL, Pilot) and there’s still no fix. Bummer. Not sure where to go from here
Mainly the GDI ones. Might be a main bearing issue.

Back