147k w/o ATF Change?

Looking to purchase a 2013 4Runner with 147k. Owner says she has never changed AT fluid. Would that kill the deal for you?

Oil every 5k.

Look at the Fluid, meaning the Trans Fluid. If it looks ok, then ask 4 like $500.00 less and that will cover the cost of :

1) Trans Fluid
2) Trans Filter
3) Favorite Beverage

No, not at all if it drives ok.

It will really pep up afterwards with fresh fluid. I helped a neighbor maintain his (2014?) of that vintage and the fluid was a weak spot, but not the trans itself. The A750 in that is a very robust unit and hard to kill.

Toyota transmissions are pretty stout, but if the fluid is very dark or burned I would not consider it without at least understanding it might need a transmission.

I'd wager that most cars out there with 147K have never had the transmission fluid changed. It's a gamble I would probably take.

I agree with you that most cars will never see ATF change unless transmission gets rebuilt.

I did a drain / refill on a Mazda CX-5 with 85K miles the other day.
No filter change, just 2 drain / refills with Mazda ATF to get as much original ATF out.

I did my first drain & fill on my Sienna at 163; it is at 190K now and it is humming along. That's not optimal, but if I liked everything else about a used car, that alone wouldn't kill the deal for me.

I would buy it and do a drain and fill a couple of times. By your listing of vehicles it looks like you are a Toyota/Lexus fan and know your products.

I'd follow the other lead here & ask for money off due to lack of maintenance to immediately get it serviced. If you're in a very hilly or mountainous terrain it would definitely be a gamble. I bought a 1999 GMC Envoy from VA once & it had some shifting issues at 148k. Although they did have a solinoid valve issue.

Used vehicles are a gamble & I would try to find an auto warranty company that would cover transmission to at least get a 3-5 years out of it. Some warranties must be started before 150k. You may be able to extend that warranty after expiration or just save back extra just in case. Which is what I recommend to anyone if buying a used vehicle. Save some extra cash for unexpected repairs if w/o a warranty. Used vehicles can be an excellent value even with a major repair but comes at some cost & headache for said repairs. I've had 40+ vehicles & none of them have been new so I've been in your shoes plenty of times. It can be a bit scary but have a plan.

Last edited:
I take care of my Daughters 2013 4Runner. Asking price is $19,800 by original owner. She is selling to buy a truck.

She’s bringing all the maintenance records when we meet on Wednesday. She’s had one local shop do all the maintenance. All she thinks that’s been done is 5k oil change with a “premium” oil. Never any body work been done.

I’m ok with not changing coolant (10 yr or 150k first change) and gear oil “neglect”. The not changing ATF is my only concern.

If she’s been an easy driver I’d probably take the risk. Check the tires for signs of hard cornering? I prefer to catch them at 100k when buying used, but in this case it is a robust unit and if everything else looks good I would consider it.

Yikes! Is $20,000 what they are going for these days for a 10 year old mid size SUV with 148k on it? If it helps your daughter then it comes with a good feeling of being helpful but still that's quite a bit of dough for what you get.

Unless that is a fully loaded limited 4x4, I would pass on $20k at that mileage. check cargurus for comps.

Maybe do a quick fluid color check, if burnt, pass. Dark, probably just fine. Maybe do a quick check to see what a used trans goes for, that is the worst case cost. But unlikely to be be needed. But all used cars are gambles.

Back