12v portable jump starter

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has a job which requires that her vehicle, Honda civic or Toyota rav4, sit outside for up to 8-10 days. Not bad in the summer but not so good in the Minnesota winters. I would like to get a portable jump starter just in case needed. Anyone have experience with these? Many different models out there so if you have a good one let me know, also which ones to stay away from. Thanks.

Get the heaviest one your wife can carry. Look at the specs and get a big one. Forget the air compressor or inverter. Best to get one with a AC power cord vs one that uses a power cube you can misplace.

Some you can leave plugged in forever and they will just go to a float charge. The jump starter need to stay inside and be warm. If its left in the vehicle in the cold it will not be much help.

Quality jumper cables are another option. Most people will give you a jump, but not everyone has jumper cables.

Gloves and dorky looking safety glasses are a good idea also when messing with jumper cables or a jump starter.

At school we use them daily... Work great.

Try to get one that has at least 500 amps for the Rav.

That way if the battery is quite dead you can still get it running.

A buddy I used to work nights with had a cheap 300A unit that he used as a backup on his little Hyundai Accent from time to time when we had a deep freeze.

He would bring it in at the beginning of the shift during a cold snap to let it warm up and charge it if it needed to be topped off.

Wait for a sale on a well-reviewed unit, and practice using it so she isn't nervous to hook it up.

Always remember: Hook the Positive up first on the battery, then the NEGATIVE last on the engine somewhere there is bare metal.

That way, if there is a spark, it won't blow up the battery if it is letting off gasses.

To remove, remove NEGATIVE first, then positive.

Problem is, if she leaves this booster in the trunk during a cold snap, she may just have two dead batteries.

Booster pack, and a set of Jumper cables in the spare wheel well would boost her chances.

But maybe someone could chime in about those dash solar panels that plug into the cigarette lighter? Bear in mind, the lighter has to be "hot at all times" for the charger to work (the key can be out of ignition and the juice will still flow). Otherwise she has to get wiring installed.

She should be ready to call you or a cab otherwise. In the very least change car batteries every 3 years to be safe.

Are you getting it so she keeps it in her car, or so you can go rescue her?

I'm not seeing how an equally cold soaked battery, with a less recent charge, with a smaller size battery which has higher impedance and thus less power capability is going to help much if she is keeping it in the car.

I'd probably get a new battery more often and just keep the old one topped off and in the trunk if going that route.

How about:

1) Replace her present battery with an AGM /dry cell and be rest assured that she is probably pretty safe (Sears Die-hard Platinum is believed by many to be a cheaper version of an Odyssey battery)

or

2) Keep the aforementioned battery in the RAV along with jumper cables as a starter pack in the storage area- heavier than traditional starer packs - but more powerful

AGM/dry cell are believed to be able to hold charge longer than lead cells. I have a Sears Platinum in my auto and love the response I get in the cold - even after a week of not running it.

(Open to criticism from anyone else)

Last edited:
Love my Jump N Carry 660.
None of that all in one air compressor, flashlight, power supply, toaster oven, music system nonsense.
It always delivers the amperage i need to get my cars started. Great warranty as well.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Frbl
How about:

1) Replace her present battery with an AGM /dry cell and be rest assured that she is probably pretty safe (Sears Die-hard Platinum is believed by many to be a cheaper version of an Odyssey battery)

or

2) Keep the aforementioned battery in the RAV along with jumper cables as a starter pack in the storage area- heavier than traditional starer packs - but more powerful

(Open to criticism from anyone else)

She'll need to keep the battery along with a set of cables in the car.
Also, the boosting battery would need to be recharged after several uses; more $$ spent to purchase a battery charger.

Last edited:
Pay attention to how old the batteries in those vehicles are. If you want to prevent her from being stranded replace any battery when it gets to 4 and 3/4 years of age.

Interstate batteries would probably be the best choice.

I agree with the above post about the problem of a jump start battery also loosing charge if left to sit too long.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also: NEVER use any of the vehicles she drives to jump start another vehicle (with the engine of her vehicle running).

It is not as common of a problem now days with the way the voltage regulators on todays alternators use a pulse / duty cycle drive for the exciter (armature wingdings) on the alternator, however because alternators do not have a output current sense, the large output current that an alternator will put out when jump starting a vehicle with the good vehicles alternator being turned by running the engine, can cause a diode in the output to go leaky. When that happens the vehicle will continue to run fine, until you let it set for a few days. Then the slow constant electric load caused by the electrically leaky diode causes enough of a load to discharge the battery if left to sit for a few days without running the vehicle.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are add on kits using a solar-cell to keep a vehicle charged. If it were parked in an airport garage there is a good chance that the window would remain free of snow, and a solar-cell charger mounted on the dash would supply some charge to help keep the battery at maximum charge.

Last edited:
Also if the electronics are smart enough, a battery isolation switch would kill minor parasitic draws.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Also if the electronics are smart enough, a battery isolation switch would kill minor parasitic draws.

That would mean they would store data in flash memory which I do not think is the case.

In addition to a portable jump pack, you might install a permanent battery maintainer. If you have an advance notice that you are going to use the vehicle, and you are within an extension cord's distance of a plug-in, you can use it a few hours ahead of time to help out the battery.

What she needs is a Coffman Starter.
smile.gif
On a serious note, the AGM batteries show less leakage. A battery disconnect would, in theory, keep the parasitic draw under control, but would require a wiring change. On the other hand, a battery off switch makes the car harder to steal. Of course, disconnecting the battery makes the car "forget" a lot of things.

Ive disconnected the battery on my truck a ton of times. Besides the trip odometer and clock, it stores the radio presets at least.

Search on Amazon or EBAY for ATD 1700 jump. That is the one I have. 1700 peak amps. About the best bang for the buck I could fund. Ones larger are over $200 and for tow trucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back