120Hz 4k TV under 50 inches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spouse wants an new TV. We cannot go larger than 50" and it seems everything we see for sale that's under 50" is a 60Hz panel.

Does anyone sell a 120Hz panel under 50"?

I had a 42'' Vizio 3D LCD Smart TV, one of the main reasons I bought it was for the 120hz refresh rate. It's started to malfunction a bit so about a month ago we decided to buy a new one. In my research I found that few TVs offer true 120hz, most have switched to "effective rates". The claim is that they can have a 60hz tv act like a 120hz. I ended up getting a 55'' Vizio 4k HDR Smart TV (E-Series). It has an effective rate of 120hz. I'll be honest, for 90% of the streaming I do I can't tell a difference. The only time I watched it and wasn't totally content was during one of the NFL playoff games, but, I honestly don't remember how differently the 42'' was given that I rarely watched sports on that tv due to streaming limitations.

Point of all of this, it may be tough to find a true 120hz and you may have to "settle" for an effective rating.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
OP, why do you want a 120Hz tv? I don't think there is any channel that supports that.

Motion blur for screen size over 40".

There isn't any such thing as a "true" 120Hz TV. A 120Hz advertised claim is for the refresh rate ONLY, not frame rate. There isn't ANY program material that has a 120Hz frame rate, the progressive frame rate is 60Hz here in North America (actually 30Hz when the signal is interlaced, and only 24Hz on movies). There isn't going to be much (if any) noticeable difference in the picture between 30Hz frame rate program material viewed on a TV advertised as having either 120Hz or 60Hz. Most TVs that have a 120Hz refresh rate typically run computer algorithms that help to reduce motion blur on live sporting events by displaying averaged frames between the actual frames, but that is it.

Originally Posted by wag123
There isn't any such thing as a "true" 120Hz TV. A 120Hz advertised claim is for the refresh rate ONLY, not frame rate. There isn't ANY program material that has a 120Hz frame rate, the progressive frame rate is 60Hz here in North America (actually 30Hz when the signal is interlaced, and only 24Hz on movies). There isn't going to be much (if any) noticeable difference in the picture between 30Hz frame rate program material viewed on a TV advertised as having either 120Hz or 60Hz. Most TVs that have a 120Hz refresh rate typically run computer algorithms that help to reduce motion blur on live sporting events by displaying averaged frames between the actual frames, but that is it.

Uh yes there is. There are panels which run at native 120hz

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Uh yes there is. There are panels which run at native 120hz

Refresh rate...yes. Frame rate... no.

This is why I have three Plasma TV's (Panasonic, Samsung) with 600Hz refresh rates at my home. Seeing the compression artifacts on fast moving programs (NFL, etc.) drove me crazy.
Plasma TV's are just MUCH better for me. However, I don't think anybody makes these types of set anymore - just too expensive to make. Plus they do consume much more power and generate more heat as a result.

Originally Posted by WhizkidTN
This is why I have three Plasma TV's (Panasonic, Samsung) with 600Hz refresh rates at my home. Seeing the compression artifacts on fast moving programs (NFL, etc.) drove me crazy.
Plasma TV's are just MUCH better for me. However, I don't think anybody makes these types of set anymore - just too expensive to make. Plus they do consume much more power and generate more heat as a result.

Our current TV is a 10yr old Samsung plasma.

There isn't going to be much (if any) noticeable difference in the picture between 30Hz frame rate program material viewed on a TV advertised as having either 120Hz or 60Hz. Most TVs that have a 120Hz refresh rate typically run computer algorithms that help to reduce motion blur on live sporting events by displaying averaged frames between the actual frames, but that is it.

The extra frames you mention (motion interpolation) is imo the main feature to look for on a TV. I don't care much about 120hz, but I do care about being able to watch 24fps movies etc at an interpolated 60fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back