10w-60

Put this in a car yesterday. Wonder why it specs such an oil?

IMG_20231215_150336783.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Iirc about 80
Yeah I suggest they do some research. These engines blow up at an alarming rate at higher mileage. A few guys got together and got Clevite to make them a custom part with slightly tweaked clearances and a silver oxide coating that seems to hold up better (BE Bearings).

I'm just going to guess that any bearing issues are from mechanically clueless owners, or those that just don't care (Valets, lot boys, etc.) revving the engine hard, while still cold.

My S85 sees redline every time it's driven, just to listen to that V10 howl. BUT, it is always brought up to full operating temp before doing so. If I ever have to replace bearings, I'll mention it.

I'm just going to guess that any bearing issues are from mechanically clueless owners, or those that just don't care (Valets, lot boys, etc.) revving the engine hard, while still cold.

My S85 sees redline every time it's driven, just to listen to that V10 howl. BUT, it is always brought up to full operating temp before doing so. If I ever have to replace bearings, I'll mention it.
I think that's a big part of it, but BMW put some VERY tight bearings in the S65/85.

You won’t know you have to replace bearings until you throw a rod. It’s really not a question of if but when on S85. It’s very well documented. I’ve seen 30+ sets of bearings from S85s from various sources over the years and not one looked normal, and I mean BMW normal not Toyota normal.

Yeah, bmw better add a 50k replacement service interval for their bearings. 😒

Back