1/2 way through ARX treatment - filter pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I must be missing something, as soon as I read your comments I tossed a qt of MMO in the freezer. It is in there about 11 hours now, same exact consistancy it has at room temperature. Maybe your freezer is a deeper freezer than mine. I never had a problem pouring MMO, and I have close to 30 qts in the garage year round. I've been using it since the 70's and always had it in the garage. The only thing thats changed is now it is in a plastic bottle vs the metal can.

Sorry dude, that's physically impossible.

How can this be physically impossible? Would you call it physically impossible that Mobil 1 AFE has a pour of -51C (-62F)? It does:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1084593&page=2

If a 20 weight oil, which is loaded with additives that will adversely affect its PP can pour at -61F, you don't need a chemistry degree to realize a light 5 weight mineral with additives only such as naphtha, but nothing like zinc, phosphorous, etc that are found in motor oil, will pour at -61F, then a 5 weight will pour at 0F the same as it will at room temp, which is like water.

There are members here with chemistry degrees that can verify this.

If you say, definitively why it can't, you'll have to explain it to us why, when even first year university chemistry says it will.

Frank, who is well established here with a long term familiarity and usahe with MMO and several other additives, who has himself back yard lab tested that it does, same as the OP has nothing more than tested it with and says it doesn't.

If you're saying Frank's own eyes are lying to him, then you need to prove and explain how. A little chemistry and reasoning supports his assertion. Twenty grade motor oil, of any kind as the base stock is still crude based before being lab refined, is far, far thicker than a light mineral oil that a 5 weight is, explain why.

-Spyder

Last edited:
I still have the MMO bottle in the freezer, sorry to say I still don't see much if any difference. In fact I gave my wife the bottle from the freezer and a bottle from the garage to have a look. She said there might be a slight difference but is doubtful. The bottle sweating on the outside was the only major change when it hit room temps. The garage temp is now 60*F, perhaps a very slight difference, to give the benefit of the doubt, maybe from a 5 grade to a 5.00125 grade for the freezer bottle. I'm going to leave it out now I will be needing room for the turkey.

Do you use MMO chevrofreak? You've done the freezer test?

Put some M1 0W30 in the freezer and let me know what happens.

You MMO haters live in a different world too, or have Super Cyrogenic Deep Freezers! LOL

I've done the freezer test. The MMO went from being translucent to being slightly opaque/milky looking. When the bottle was shaken (I used a well cleaned and dried vitamin water bottle) it stuck to the sides of the bottle far longer than it did at room temperature. Try using a bottle other than the MMO bottle and you will see the difference far better. Something that has some texture or bulbs to it, such as that Vitamin Water bottle. Fill it only half full. My freezer is right around -2F.

In my observation the change was slight if any, I'm around -4*F in my freezer. The term "thickening up noticeably", sorry I just don't see it. I guess it is like trying to describe a color or what hot feels like to a person, tough to do. The Mobil 1 0w30 "thickened up noticeably" shaking it hot vs cold there is quite a difference.

I didn't check color, it is dyed red, and color is meaningless.

MMO certainly is not going to thicken up your oil in the winter time like other additives do.

I still have the MMO bottle in the freezer, sorry to say I still don't see much if any difference. In fact I gave my wife the bottle from the freezer and a bottle from the garage to have a look. She said there might be a slight difference but is doubtful. The bottle sweating on the outside was the only major change when it hit room temps. The garage temp is now 60*F, perhaps a very slight difference, to give the benefit of the doubt, maybe from a 5 grade to a 5.00125 grade for the freezer bottle. I'm going to leave it out now I will be needing room for the turkey.

You MMO haters live in a different world too, or have Super Cyrogenic Deep Freezers! LOL

I've done the freezer test. The MMO went from being translucent to being slightly opaque/milky looking. When the bottle was shaken (I used a well cleaned and dried vitamin water bottle) it stuck to the sides of the bottle far longer than it did at room temperature. Try using a bottle other than the MMO bottle and you will see the difference far better. Something that has some texture or bulbs to it, such as that Vitamin Water bottle. Fill it only half full. My freezer is right around -2F.

In my observation the change was slight if any, I'm around -4*F in my freezer. The term "thickening up noticeably", sorry I just don't see it. I guess it is like trying to describe a color or what hot feels like to a person, tough to do. The Mobil 1 0w30 "thickened up noticeably" shaking it hot vs cold there is quite a difference.

MMO certainly is not going to thicken up your oil in the winter time like other additives do.

Agreed. These guys that would have folks believe that MMO "thickens up" noticeably at 0F are just laughable. No way, no how. MMO has a pour point lower than even the best synthetic motor oils that I've seen. No grey area, no mystery ingredients...the data sheet is there for all to see.

Try putting ARX in a freezer and let me know how it works out. Probably ends up looking like a bottle of Crisco. LOL

Best,

Originally Posted By: Familyguy

Try putting ARX in a freezer and let me know how it works out. Probably ends up looking like a bottle of Crisco. LOL

Best,

LOL. I have a lot I can say on that topic, but I'll pass at the moment!

i think you are wrong its the high end cars like the B.M.W. that the people are scraping together money to pay for them working 2 or 3 jobs...
On any day of the year we have at least 1 B.M.W. here for an engine rebuild sometimes even 3 or 4
i had this engine shop for over 20 years and i dont see many Hyundai's here for engine work...I dont know maybe its the 100,000 mile warantee but we dont see them they are generally good cars....Of course we have a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe that we bought brand new and it has a loud start up knock but they will have to do something about that i am not worried..When you drive through the inner city neighborhoods a lot of them have high end cars, in my neighborhood you see some older cars in the driveways and i live in an upscale gated community..

Agreed. These guys that would have folks believe that MMO "thickens up" noticeably at 0F are just laughable. No way, no how. MMO has a pour point lower than even the best synthetic motor oils that I've seen. No grey area, no mystery ingredients...the data sheet is there for all to see.

Best,

Red Line 0w-20, 0w-30 and 0w-40 have a pour point of -76F, yet they, too, will thicken up. Pour point means jack squat.

You have no grasp of physics if you say MMO does not thicken up when cold.

Red Line 0w-20, 0w-30 and 0w-40 have a pour point of -76F, yet they, too, will thicken up. Pour point means jack squat.

Okay well now you're really showing your ignorance and revealing that you are not really up to condemning others observations while insisting (with no explanation) why everyone else is wrong while you're the sole voice of self-righteous knowledge on the subject, and the only one who supposedly knows better.

The relevant subject area here is CHEMISTRY not PHYSICS. Since you don't get that much, drop the subject and find another product to toss lawn darts at.

You're out-voted here, and you're revealing a total lack of understanding on the subject matter you post so expertly, and absolutely on.

I don't have a chemistry degree, but I do know enough about it (its a component of behavioral pharmacology, a subject I rely on daily in my work), and about auto-mechanics, lubricants, and additives (again, no expert, but lots of first hand experience combined with hefty research) to know who has the right of it here - and it isn't you.

-Spyder

I never mentioned pour point Chevro. I said put some M1 0W30 in the freezer -2*F in your case and tell me what happens. Especially if you think MMO "thickens up noticeably". Pour point is just one of many numbers assigned to oil, it doesn't mean much. It appears I'm not pulling this out of my hat either since there are others in agreement with me.

If you don't like the product that's fine, it makes no difference to me. But your claims in the case are wrong. The words slightly, or very slightly different, at best would have been a better choice. At -4*F my wife and I were having a hard time telling. I will say the bottle frosted over when I took it out of the freezer though.

As a side bar, no pun intended, the Bottle of Stoli Raspberry I keep in the freezer thickens up more than the MMO. LOL

Um...ok. LOL

Demar...you might want to check on that Stoli...I think someone's gotten into it.
smile.gif

Demar...you might want to check on that Stoli...I think someone's gotten into it.
smile.gif

I did, its like cough syrup, and looking fine!

I'm off to change the oil and begin the rinse phase. I'll post pics of the filter later.

Originally Posted By: G-Man
I'm going to use 5 qts of regular Valvoline 5w20 + 1 qt of MMO for the rinse phase (sump capacity is 6 qts)

Are you still going to use MMO for the Rinse Phase and what is your reasoning for using MMO, I am guessing this is something that is not endorsed by auto-rx.

Originally Posted By: PontiacFan
Originally Posted By: G-Man
I'm going to use 5 qts of regular Valvoline 5w20 + 1 qt of MMO for the rinse phase (sump capacity is 6 qts)

Are you still going to use MMO for the Rinse Phase and what is your reasoning for using MMO, I am guessing this is something that is not endorsed by auto-rx.

I don't know if Auto-RX endorses it or not. My reasoning is that MMO is made from napthenic base oil and is an excellent solvent, which is what you need in the rinse phase. I think Auto-RX would agree with that.

No pics. The filter this time looked about like the one at the 1/2 way point.

I don't think the A-rx people would want you to do that, but I've chatted with several people who have done just that with very good results. Especially when trying to remove varnish, or heavy sludge.

The only issue i can see with doing that is this is
if it does work better how do you know if ARX worked to your satisfaction or not?
Was it the ARX that cleaned or the MMO?

Give the ARX a fair shot and decide if it worked for you or not,you can always use MMO later.
49.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back