0w-20 in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a great deal of reading about the virtues of Xw-20 oil, I called the Toyota dealership today and asked for the price of a litre of 0w20.
He said "0w20?!?, uh all we have is 5w-20".
I replied by saying that I was looking for the best choice of oil according to the manual and asked if I wanted 0w-20 I would have to go somewhere else then?
He said " I could order some in if we knew when you were coming in"
I said Thanks but no thanks. I am not going "in" for an oil change.

So here am I trying to obey the manual but no 0w-20 to be found in Wally-world, Cr@ppy Tire, UFA or Petro Can't. So where does a guy find 0W-20? I am tempted by this to go to the heavy side an look at some 0w-30 noww.....

I did a search but couldn't find a solid answer.

Where in Alberta are you? The CT on Fort Road, Edmonton has a small supply of Pennzoil Platinum in the 0W-20 flavour. Beyond that, you don't have many choices.
I think the Esso bulk stations carry Mobil 1 in 0W-20, you can try the McEwen's Esso at 11560-142 Street, 780-453-3047.

I am in Lethbridge area. No Esso bulk staions near here, just Petro Can't.

Don't get me wrong, I like Amsoil, I use it in my ATV. But, Amsoil is premium $ here. It would probably be more than $10/L for 0w-20

Check our Canadian Tire and Partsource for some M1 0w20. They USED to carry it (my dad bought a load of it) but don't seem to anymore.

I think that I may need to change the oil before they listen, and travelling to Ontario may also requier and oil change before I get there.

What about Honda oil. Who makes it, and is it available in 0w20?

Have you tried the Imperial Oil Bulk Agency location 100 metres from Hwy #3, on Crow’s Nest Trail? (403) 327-3535

However, I just checked the Mobil Canada website;

http://www.mobil.com/Canada-English/LCW/Products_Services/Mobil_1.asp

and they did not list 0W-20 as one of the available grades
21.gif
... something has changed there.

I've seen PP 0W-20 at 'Benson Auto Parts', but I think they are only in Ontario...but if you see one, they might have it....

Beyond that, I've very occassionally seen M1 0W-20 at [censored] Tire...

I finally found some that is available to everyone.

Honda sells 0w-20 for ~$7.50/L. I still don't know who makes it though.

Its still cheaper than M1 5w20 synth or any other big brand synths of that flavor that I have seen. According to Pennzoil, the difference between their synth 5w-20 & 0w-20 is not very much:
http://www.pzlqs.com/Tech/Pdsheet/DomesticMarketing/EngineOils/Pdf/PlatinumFullSyntheticMotorOil.pdf

If anything I would go conventional 5w-20 for all but the winter months, where then I would use the Honda 0w-20 flavor.

Last edited:
Go to a NAPA or PartSource and order Pennzoil Platinum or Castrol Syntec 0W-20, I think they are the only ones available in Canada.

Synthetic 5W-20 is thin enough that's it's plenty good down to -35, so I just don't see the concern. Below -20 you should be using a block heater, synthetic or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back