06 Tacoma junk frame

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the Ford issue was the subframes on Windstars and Ford bought the affected ones back.

So interesting.....I met a guy who's "frame and anything which touched it" (his words) was replaced by Toyota.
Due to it being a 4 cyl. he claimed he was revving its guts out on the highway and sold it though he didn't want to.

I just saw for sale a 2006 Tacoma Access Cab 4 cyl./4WD/stick. 150K and the original owner was asking $12,900.
I thought that was steep.Kira

My father in law had to dump his 2000 Ford F-150 due to frame and severe bed rot underneath. At the surface it looked fine.

At least the IorV6/5mt was relatively trouble free with 321,000 miles without any massive work.

I almost always bring a dozen Krispy Kremes or a couple of Little Caesar's to my shop when we have a car in there.

But then I've been going there for nearly 20 years now.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Buying the guy's that are working on the truck lunch or bringing them doughnuts i think can go along way on how they treated it overall while they have it for a week.

Originally Posted By: supton
Didn't know Ford has the same issue.

Surfing CL last night found this; I had been wondering how the frame, which didn't look that bad, managed to snap as it had.
http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/5454071707.html

The Rangers were the worst, the rear spring perches failed, rear bumpers fell off and then the frame broke behind the cab.
Its very common to see low mileage ones in mint shape other than no frame under them. Toyota was paying out on theirs (dam good money too) or replacing the frames complete with new shocks, straps, suspension joints and rubber parts while Ford owners were sending their trucks of the same years to the bone yard for $300.

That says a lot about Ford and Toyota and how they value their customers.

Ford has plenty of folks buying currently and accepting lower quality on older products. Also they would go bankrupt trying to fix their flaws like this due to sheer amount of sales.

Toyota is begging for customers on large trucks and screwed the pooch too long on Tacoma/small pickup rust. Toyota lives off a reputation/perception of quality.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I almost always bring a dozen Krispy Kremes or a couple of Little Caesar's to my shop when we have a car in there.

But then I've been going there for nearly 20 years now.

I can say that bringing pizza, donuts, beer, or homemade snacks will get you in real well with not only the parts department, but the techs.

The Rat has a fair amount of frame rust. Ive fixed the critical one under the LF cab support. I'm using techniques I learned as a ship fitter apprentice. I formed over plates from a piece of steel, I cut from a 275 gallon heating oil tank. It is 150% thicker and can be worked with simple tools. It is a little punky beside the plastic fuel tank, but is fine for now. Rangers are notorious for rear spring and body supports rotting off too.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Ford sued Dana, gt paid and didn't fix the truck, they claimed it was road salt.

Any links or sources on Ford getting paid by Dana? Just curious since I have never heard of that. It seems like if they won a settlement, a requirement of that would be compensating the affected owners. No real point to suing Dana over sold trucks unless owners are beating down the door. They could have lost, so there had to be something actually at stake.

It seems like there is a threshold of salt exposure on the Dana framed trucks where the rust protection gets totally compromised and goes to [censored]. My 2002 Ranger definitely has a Dana frame, and has seen light salt every single year of its life (was in NC until 2012, usually about 2-3 saltings a year in the piedmont), and is totally rust free. You can still see numbers printed on the frame in white paint from the factory. I don't know if my 1994 Ranger has a Dana frame or not, but it doesn't have anything beyond surface rust where paint/wax coating has worn off. My 1995 Explorer from PA must not have had a Dana frame, because the body rotted out beyond repair on top of a totally solid frame, front to back. Totally rotted body, no frame rot. Go figure.

If Ford got anything, it should have gone towards affected owners. I doubt a court would let them cut and run, but who knows. Not saying Ford wouldn't do it, I'm just not sure they could get away with that.

I think madRiver nailed it on why Toyota had to absolutely make sure this got taken care of. Ford frankly has more leeway in the situation to not handle it properly. In different situations, other manufactures, including Toyota, would do the same. Stuff like this is always calculated and weighed.

I don't remember exactly where I read it. It was some years ago when a family members truck frame broke in multiple places and was going through a real fiasco with Ford.
Ford disowned the whole issue blaming the climate, the truck got scrapped with less than 50K on the clock, a 4x4 extended cab step side to boot.
97 expeditions were good for frame rust, they stayed clean but the 99 was a difference story, so there can be a huge difference in between years.

Updating Monday truck will be in the shop receiving it's new frame and leaf springs and all hardware that goes with it it's been a 7 month wait for parts. Pretty stoked a 10 year old truck will be getting rebuild ready for another 10 years.

You should try to stop in during the process and snap a few pictures of the work being done. As long as you're not too chatty, friendly, and stay out of their way they should be ok with it. I think it would be pretty interesting seeing the pictures. I've seen a few of the old frames sitting behind the service area and they looked very rough. Of course I'm in the rust belt.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Toyotas have always had bad frames.Not many 78/79/80/81s...etc around anymore and the ones you do see have broken frames.

You've never been to Mexifornia... '80s Toyota trucks are all over the place here, often hauling/towing way more than they were ever designed to.

My father-in-law had either an '81 or '82 with about 500k on it; he replaced it because it was going to cost too much to get it to pass smog, not because it quit working.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Anduril
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Toyotas have always had bad frames.Not many 78/79/80/81s...etc around anymore and the ones you do see have broken frames.

You've never been to Mexifornia... '80s Toyota trucks are all over the place here, often hauling/towing way more than they were ever designed to.

My father-in-law had either an '81 or '82 with about 500k on it; he replaced it because it was going to cost too much to get it to pass smog, not because it quit working.

I saw it many times when I lived there. I once watched a Lowes employee load a full pallet of quikrete(3360#)in the bed of a an 80 something Toyota. The suspension was bottomed long before the forklift cleared the pallet. After the guy drove off you could smell the burning clutch all the way in the store.

Last edited:
But that thing will keep going like that for miles and miles because it's an '80s Toyota truck and they just. don't. die.

4th day in shop no update or call on progress will be paying a visit tomorrow.

Nice to see some of them being fixed finally. Guy I worked with took his in for inspection and never saw it again, they just brought him a check. He asked about repair either thru the dealer or on his $ and they said no-it was liability to let the customer keep it and they were required to buy them out with no option for any repair even on a salvage title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back