0 w20 motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very simple, if the manual recommends 0w20, then use 0w20. You could use 5w20, but why bother. Obviously Toyota thinks that 0w20 is the best oil for your new 2010 Camry. I would listen and use the 0w20. I prefer Mobil 1 because it's a great oil and easily found almost everywhere. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: 360kid
Very simple, if the manual recommends 0w20, then use 0w20. You could use 5w20, but why bother. Obviously Toyota thinks that 0w20 is the best oil for your new 2010 Camry. I would listen and use the 0w20. I prefer Mobil 1 because it's a great oil and easily found almost everywhere. Just my opinion.

No problem at all with the M1. I would just add the the new OP's benefit that you can have PP 0w-20 delivered to your doorstep for about a buck less per quart than you can get the M1 at WM. Not a deal-maker or breaker -- just info.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: phillycop369

what the manual states is:"recommended viscosity: SAE 0w-20" and goes on to say that "if SAE 0W-20 is not available, SAE 5-20 may be used, however, it MUST be replaced with SAE 0w-20 at the next oil change"

This is the specific language required by EPA if MPG was tested with 0W20.

The engine will not see a difference between 0W20 and 5W20 (or even 5W30) unless you live in Alaska.

FJ: Well the engine might not see a difference, but if the owner is paying attention to fuel burn, he will, especially if he goes from a thick 30 to a mid-20, as I did in my TCH. Obviously, that may not be the case going from a very thin-ish 30 to a thick 20.

Walmart:
Mobil 1 5qt Jug = $22
Pennzoil Platinum 5qt Jug = $20

Less than 50cents difference per quart. Both are fantastic oils. But you're not really saving much money using PP over M1. It's great that the prices are comparible because that allows the consumer to buy the oil they prefer without having to give too much thought to the costs difference.

Originally Posted By: ravenchris
You need to check those prices...

I don't think so. M1 0w-20 is $6.49 at local AZ stores (around the same at WM). From the Oil-Store (on line seller), you get a 6-pack case of PP 0w-20 for $31.99, including shipping, which works out to $5.33 per quart. I ordered four cases myself a few months back, and they were at my door in about three days, no hassles, no problems.

Am I missing something?

Walmart:
Mobil 1 5qt Jug = $22

Less than 50cents difference per quart. Both are fantastic oils. But you're not really saving much money using PP over M1. It's great that the prices are comparible because that allows the consumer to buy the oil they prefer without having to give too much thought to the costs difference.

Oh yeah, there are those WM jugs too. In fact, I have the 5w-20 WM jug PP in the wife's Avalon right now. And I have three more jugs in the garage. That PP 5w-20 is one of the very best syn deals around, if it's what you want. The M1 is not far behind. Yes, I'll eventually try the PP 5w-20 in the Camry too, but I want to run several fills of the 0w-20 to see how it does.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
You need to check those prices...

I don't think so. M1 0w-20 is $6.49 at local AZ stores (around the same at WM). From the Oil-Store (on line seller), you get a 6-pack case of PP 0w-20 for $31.99, including shipping, which works out to $5.33 per quart. I ordered four cases myself a few months back, and they were at my door in about three days, no hassles, no problems.

Am I missing something?

Walmart:
Mobil 1 5qt Jug = $22

These are the prices for both oils at the Wal-marts across the country and are the prices that most of us see and pay. They may be different in Florida. Also, if you shop Autozone or any of the parts stores for these oils, you're almost guaranteed to pay more than at Walmart. Anways, the rest of America that shops at Walmart sees only a $2 difference per 5qt jug. No biggy, prices are different for you in Florida.

Also, at my Walmart the Mobil 1 0w20 is also $22. But I think the Mobil 1 EP is more.

. . .

Walmart:
Mobil 1 5qt Jug = $22

These are the prices for both oils at the Wal-marts across the country and are the prices that most of us see and pay. They may be different in Florida. Also, if you shop Autozone or any of the parts stores for these oils, you're almost guaranteed to pay more than at Walmart. Anways, the rest of America that shops at Walmart sees only a $2 difference per 5qt jug. No biggy, prices are different for you in Florida.

Also, at my Walmart the Mobil 1 0w20 is also $22. But I think the Mobil 1 EP is more.

All correct. I was comparing the quart prices. For whatever reason (maybe that my customary AZ is only about a block from WM), their prices are very close, if not the same, particularly the quart prices.

Where in the "USA" are you (not your street address, of course). All I see here in jugs is the green cap 0w-30 M1. I have never seen ANY 0w-20, irrespective of brand, in any store in my vicinity. I'm not enough of a nut to make a long road trip for a jug of 0w-20, but if you're anywhere near where my travels take me. . .

do you mean Mobil 1 0w20 in 5q jug? i see 1q bottles but cant find the 5q jug anywhere. i remember seeing it before and so i email mobil. their answer is that M1 0w20 does not come in 5q jug.

Originally Posted By: gogozy

do you mean Mobil 1 0w20 in 5q jug? i see 1q bottles but cant find the 5q jug anywhere. i remember seeing it before and so i email mobil. their answer is that M1 0w20 does not come in 5q jug.

Then Mobil lied to you. I have a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 5w20 for my F150 sitting in my garage at this very minute. It was purchased at my local Walmart for $22.

Here is a pic, not my pic, but a pic. I buy the same thing for my truck though: 5qt Jug of Mobil 1 5w20 + 1 qt of Mobil 1 5w20 + 1 Motorcraft 820 filter.

OilChange-01.JPG

. . .
Then Mobil lied to you. I have a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 5w20 for my F150 sitting in my garage at this very minute. It was purchased at my local Walmart for $22.

Here is a pic, not my pic, but a pic. I buy the same thing for my truck though: 5qt Jug of Mobil 1 5w20 + 1 qt of Mobil 1 5w20 + 1 Motorcraft 820 filter.

He's talking about 0w-20, not 5w-20. I've hunted it for a long time, and I agree (and apparently verified by EM) that the 0w-20 green cap oil is only available in quarts.
cheers3.gif

Teamsters do not deliver for free...

Yeah, but the oil seller is free to choose how much they want to mark up the product. Since we seem to be persistently unwilling to take my word for it, here are a couple fresh screen captures, right from Oil-Store:

First the basic product:
Oil-Store-1.jpg

And the order page:
Oil-Store-2.jpg

Got it now??? If not, here's the math: $31.99 / 6 = $5.33 per quart, including shipping and handling, which once again, is more than a buck less than per quart prices at AZ or WM for comparable products.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Teamsters do not deliver for free...

Got it now??? If not, here's the math: $31.99 / 6 = $5.33 per quart, including shipping and handling, which once again, is more than a buck less than per quart prices at AZ or WM for comparable products.

Walmart sells Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend for $12.50 for 5qts. My engine takes 7 quarts. I buy 3 jugs at a clip (good for two oil changes and a wee bit left over for topping off) at a grand price of $2.50/quart. If I did the same with Mobil1 (currently $22 and change at Walmart), it would be about $4.60/quart....again with a quart left over for topping off.

Not sure where I see the bargain of ordering PP online. 9 times out of 10 when I got to one of the 3 Walmarts near my home, they do carry PP, but there is rarely any 5W-20 on the shelves.

Regards,

Last edited:
I really didn't say it was a "bargain", just that on a per quart basis, this is a better deal than the WM or AZ quarts. I ordered it because I wanted to go ahead and use the "preferred" 0w-20, which is even slightly thinner than the PP 5w-20. As it turns out, my Camry really seems to run nicely on it. We'll see what UOA says.

I also buy the PP 5w-20 in jugs, and am presently using it in my wife's Avalon. The per quart price for that turns out to be only $4 dollars, obviously a good bit less than even the mail order 0w-20. At some point, I'm going to try the 5w-20 in the Camry too, just to see what happens. If the car performs as well on that, I'll probably use it (until, of course, GF-5 arrives and the prices all "readjust").

You really need to check the delivered price. In which country do you practice law?

Dude, what part of this do you not understand? I've ordered from these people 2x times. The delivered price is exactly what you see on the screen captures which I posted earlier today. The delivered price is $5.33 per quart, PERIOD. Once again, more than a buck cheaper than quarts at WM or AZ.

I practice law in the United States. What I do for a living is totally irrelevant to this discussion. Off-topic, personal attacks will get you a well-deserved vacation from BITOG. If you can not confine your comments to the merits, I will be happy to "take care of you". Prove me wrong, on the facts, if you can. If you can't, then have the 'nads to admit as much. If you try to take refuge in personal attacks, you will be gone from here. Are we clear?

Originally Posted By: phillycop369
hello all. i just bought a 2010 camry and the manual states i have to use 0 w20 oil. is this a synthetic oil only or does "regular" oil come in this weight too??? what harm could i do if i used 5 w20??

phillycop369,

Congratulations on your new Camry! Many brands come in this type of oil now in order to increase MPG wether it be dino or synthetic. If it were mine I'd do my first OCI as prescribed and switch to a synthetic. My dealership offers Mobil 1 as a secondary version so ask yours and most likely they'll have a synthetic brand for you in their stock.

Durango

There's even mis-communication about the price/qt, even with the mathematics involved for proof ... priceless.
LOL.gif
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back